High Carb recipe ideas

Options
Let's share our High Carb meal ideas!! Here are mine:

When I'm super lazy my on the go High Carb day snacks look like this:
1c greek yogurt, 1 tsp lemon curd (trader joes), 1/2c - 1c pineapple (fresh or dole premium canned, in pineapple juice), or strawberries.

1c greek yogurt w/ 2/3 c homemade cinnamon applesauce

1-2 oz turkey lunch meat, 2-3 oz baby carrots

1-2 oz turkey lunch meat, 1c "black bean salad" w/ 1 serving of the baked scoop chips from tostitos (My favorite summer snack)

In my purse and the glove box of the car I keep a couple snack size baggies of 1 oz portions of turkey jerky, and a Dark Chocolate nature valley granola bar for emergencies only. These keep well, but I don't like eating them since I'm trying my best to keep my food as fresh as possible.

Black Bean Salad is so easy
3 bell peppers diced (I use red, yellow & orange)
1/2 c red onion diced
1 can of tomatoes w/ chillies (14.5 oz)
1 can corn drained and rinsed
2 can black beans drained and rinsed (low sodium if possible)
Mix all ingredients and toss with the following for dressing:
1-3 cloves minced garlic
6 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tbsp lime juice

Cinnamon Applesauce (makes about 10 cups, or 15 - 2/3 c servings)
12 apples, peeled, cored & diced
1.5 tsp cinnamon
2-3 c water
2/3 c splenda (if you want it sweet)
1/2- 3/4 bag cranberries optional

Put all ingredients in a large pot on the stove. Simmer for at least 30-45 minutes... until it's all good and smooshie. The longer the better. Mash with a potato masher, or blend smooth in the blender.

Replies

• 311Sarah
    Options
    I will have to try your Black Bean Salad @babeinthemoon
    It sounds amazing! :happy:
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    I have a version of your Black Bean Salad, in fact made it this week. I used Black Beans & Garbonzo beans, chopped celery & red onion & red wine vinegar.

This week my high carb snacks & meals look like this:

Protein Shakes & Fruit
    Bean Salad & Cottage Cheese
    Asian Chicken Wrap (Multi-Grain Tortilla) with Cabbage Vinegar Slaw
    Quinoua with Spinach & Mushrooms & Green Onions
    Tuna & w/w english muffin (topped with cabbage slaw)
    Greek Yogurt with Stevia & Berries

My dinners consist of basic proteins - chicken, salmon, venison, combined with lots of veggies - brussel sprouts, asparagus, brocolli - and some good carbs - quinoua, cuscous, yams

I appreciate feed back if anyone has any.....is there anything I'm doing wrong, anyone have other good ideas I can use? Always looking to learn!!! Also, my diary is open.....any diary police out there please feel free to critique me!!! Remember tho, I just started CTL today, I logged each day last week & did ok, but I was not following the CTL guidelines.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This week my high carb snacks & meals look like this:
    Quinoua with Spinach & Mushrooms & Green Onions

I appreciate feed back if anyone has any.....is there anything I'm doing wrong, anyone have other good ideas I can use? Always looking to learn!!! Also, my diary is open.....any diary police out there please feel free to critique me!!! Remember tho, I just started CTL today, I logged each day last week & did ok, but I was not following the CTL guidelines.

Everything you listed sounds really good! My only suggestion is that you should add some protein with the quinoa and veggies. Yes, I know that quinoa is higher in protein... so maybe adding 2 oz of diced chicken breast would do the trick.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    I posted this recipe awhile back & decided to tweak it to fit into the CTL plan. I’m trying to make up my meal plan for next week & felt like something different. What I’m wondering is tho – Can I use fat free cream cheese and/or mozzarella on High Carb days?? As long as it is fat free I should be able to, right?? Well, I hope so. I’m sure this would still be good without the cheese, but I’d rather not leave it out. Anyhow, here is my recipe:

Quinoa & Spinach Stuffed Roasted Peppers:

8 Roasted Red peppers (roast these yourself so they stay firm, do not use ones from a jar, they will get mushy & fall apart)

Filling:

3 C cooked quinoa (1C dry)
    6-8 cloves chopped garlic (I use a lot of garlic, use as much as you like)
    A small chopped onion (I used a regular onion, but I think some green or red onions or scallions would be better)
    2 16oz boxes of frozen spinach (thawed)
    1 can of artichoke hearts in water (drained & roughly chopped)
    2C fat free shredded mozzarella cheese OR 8oz fat free cream cheese (you could also add half of both cheeses)
    ¼ C chopped sun dried tomatoes

You can also add any other ingredients you may have as leftovers or that is just laying around. I’ve used leftover asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, anything, really. Any chopped up veggies, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. – this is a great way to use up those leftovers.

Topping:

whole wheat bread crumbs, whatever seasonings you like & a few squirts of I can’t Believe it’s Not Butter Spray

Ok, so, start by roasting your peppers, I do them on my gas stove, right in the flame until they are charcoaled all over. I put them into a small paper bag until they cool. Cut the tops off, clean out the insides & scrape off the black parts. Done.

Then sautee the garlic & onions in a non-stick skillet. Toss in the thawed spinach, don’t bother to drain & squeeze it, the liquid will cook out. Add in your cooked quinoa, artichoke hearts & whatever other veggies you decide to add. Mix it all up well, heat through & then reduce the heat. Toss in the cheese & stir until it melts. Stuff the peppers. Top with seasoned bread crumbs, & few squirts of the butter spray & bake @ 350 for about half an hour until the peppers are heated through & the topping gets toasty brown.

My original recipe had regular cheese, not non-fat & it also used cheese & regular bread crumbs with butter in the topping. I don’t think these small changes will make much of a difference in taste, just making it more CTL friendly omitting the fat from the cheeses & butter & bread crumbs. This recipe comes out to 178 calorie a pepper & when I made them the first time they were so filling I could only eat half.

Everyone in my family loved these & they were even way more delicious than I expected them to be, I was quite surprised. And the good thing is they can be frozen for another meal later.
  • sherrielynn2013
    sherrielynn2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good. I'll have to try it out! Thanks.
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi. i this is a Michelle bridges recipe.
    2 slices of toast
    100g light ricotta
    hanfull mixed berried or strawberrys
    Sugar free mayple (optional)
    Toast bread, top with ricotta and berries and drizzle with syrup. yummy
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/873278-home-made-chicken-soup

I made a super quick chicken soup last night.

serves 6 (generous 1c servings)

1 c diced onion
    1 c diced carrot
    1 c diced celery
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp oregano
    1-2 cloves garlic minced
    1 box (4c) organic low sodium chicken broth
    300g precooked and diced chicken (boneless, skinless and hopefully without added sodium water to plump it up)
    2c water (or more if you think you need it)
    3 servings of shell pasta cooked until slightly tender (about 5 min instead of 7)

saute the veggies and spiced in the olive oil until tender
    Add the precooked and diced chicken and all the liquid.
    Simmer for 10-15 minutes
    While simmering, cook the pasta in a separate pot.

To serve: split the pasta into 6 equal servings (bowls or glad-ware containers). Divide the soup evenly between the containers. The soup will be good to eat right away, even though the noodles are not cooked for the full length. The beauty here though, is that when you reheat the extra soup, the noodles will finish cooking, but will not be overdone.

If you like more veggies, use more. I am actually not convinced that 1c each was what I actually used last night... but I was too busy to bother measuring. I'm thinking it was about the right amount though. :)
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Love the ideas!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • MAV9855
    MAV9855 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump- I want to save these recipes! Thanks
  • candoit14
    candoit14 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! THANKS I AM GOING TO TRY
  • munecagirl22
    munecagirl22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    great cookies for maybe a breakfast

1 cup quick oats 2 bananas and some cinnomen.. mash (i just used my clean hands lol) and back 350 14 minutes.. not too bad.
  • yve610
    yve610 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas - thanks!