Introduce yourself!

Options

Replies

• rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Rachel! I am trying to lose those last couple of lbs and have defiantly hit a plateau so I am excited to try carb cycling. I am not doing the 9 min missions since I weight train for about an hour, five or six days a week. But I am planning on starting the shredders. So my question is, I know that you are not suppose to eat under 1200 calories on your low day. So what if I eat 1200 calories and then do a workout that burns 500 calories? Should I re eat those 500 calories and just stick to protein and veggies for those calories since it is a low day? I don't want to be under eating and damaging my metabolism. These last few lbs are hard to get off, and since I don't weight a lot the amount of calories I need is already about 1575 (without exercise) to maintain my weight. Idk, sorry I'm just a bit confused.
  • jenny98mom
    Options
    I have been wondering that very thing, Rachel. I would like to lose 10-15 pounds and am an avid exerciser, and have been pretty tired the past couple of days (and hungry). This doesn't seem right based upon the things I've been reading, but I also suspect that my body is going through a bit of a withdrawal and adjustment period. I'm thinking I might need to add a sixth meal to compensate for days where I have a high calorie burning workout (i.e., spinning). Curious as to what others do who have been following this for awhile.

Jenny
  • jenny98mom
    Options
    My name is Jenny, and I am a 42 year-old mother of three and recent corporate drop-out (I quit my job after working with the same company for 20 years). I am great with exercise, and have run five marathons, but have *always* struggled with the eating part of things! I love food, what can I say? I know that diet is 80% of the weight loss equation, and after reading Chris Powell's book, I decided to give it a go. I'm on week one, and I have to say, I have been feeling tired the past couple of days, and hungry too. I have been following the program very closely, and feel like I'm doing the right things, but I'm wondering (like another member mentioned), if I need to eat more for the exercise I'm doing. I have done a spin class twice this week (on high carb days), and just felt like my energy was in the toilet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My happy place for weight is in the 130's and I'm 10-15 pounds away from where I want to be. It doesn't sound like much, but I've found that these last 10-15 pounds make the biggest difference in how I look and feel! I think if I can fine tune the carb cycling, I can make it work. The fact that I've made it this many days is an accomplishment, because, like I said, I love to eat. :-) Cutting out processed food is a big deal for me! I have also quit drinking Diet Coke - another feat I never thought I could achieve. So, anything is possible!

Jenny
  • densa56
    densa56 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Newbies,

I just started this CTL program this week. Today is the last day of week one - cheat day. How are you doing on the program? As of yesterday, I have lost 4.8 lbs in one week! So excited. Today brings anxiety - will this really work if I eat what ever I want today. How are you feeling about cheat day? Do you have the same high anxiety as I do? Wish everyone luck in this journey.

Dianne
  • Circapaleo
    Circapaleo Posts: 114
    Options
    Newbies,

I just started this CTL program this week. Today is the last day of week one - cheat day. How are you doing on the program? As of yesterday, I have lost 4.8 lbs in one week! So excited. Today brings anxiety - will this really work if I eat what ever I want today. How are you feeling about cheat day? Do you have the same high anxiety as I do? Wish everyone luck in this journey.

Dianne

So how did the weekend go?

The calorie allotment is the average through the week...so the free eating day is accounted for. Yes, I do have some anxiety towards this day. I undereat, but I eat small amounts of things that I have been craving during the week.
  • densa56
    Options
    Ate too much on Sunday, too many calories (just under 2400). Lost only 0.8 lbs at the end of the week....could it be from Sunday's calories? Did the same thing this Sunday (yesterday). Hopefully, it will not come back to haunt me. Again, Sunday's calories have been under 2400, barely under. Maybe this is too much.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the book today....can NOT wait to get started on the plan. I would love to have some friends following the plan
  • densa56
    Options
    Welcome Myra!

My weigh day is tomorrow (Saturday). Sunday (free day) ends my 4th week. It has been hard this week (slingshot week) but, i am pleased with this program so far.

It would be nice to have some support here on this site. This board seems relatively dead most of the time. If you start this Monday - we could be going through the same weeks together - 3 weeks of carb cycling, 1 slingshot week. I would love some company along this path. Someone for support, to share progress with, etc,.
  • annvermilyea1
    annvermilyea1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI everyone! Although I am new to MFP, I have been carb-cycling for a few weeks now and am down 14 pounds. Originally, I was using the Bode app which had me doing the turbo plan but since getting and reading the books, I think I am going to try the classic plan for the next month and see how that goes. I still have a lot of weight to take off but this way of life is working for me!

Would love to have a buddy for support as the next chapter unfolds! Tomorrow is a Low carb day so let me know if anyone is starting the Classic plan on Monday with free day being on Saturday. Hubby is a truck driver and this is when he is usually home.

Ann
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone! My name is Amy and I'm from West Virginia. I'm not following the plan, but I absolutely love Chris & Heidi and what they stand for! I've lost 41 lbs so far and have 43 to go. Almost the halfway mark! I'd love to have some Chris Powell fan buddies, so feel free to add me!
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new here. I have yet to buy the book, but I intend to as soon as I have some funds available. I am interested in gaining a better insight into carb cycling and getting good recipes and ideas on how to make this happen. Hope you all are well!
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group everyone!
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Kelly and I just started CTL on 7/8. I ordered the book but have not yet received it, so I'm using the info I found on Chris Powell's website, his segment from Dr. Oz, and lots of information from these message boards to get started. I have a feeling I am not eating enough veggies to start off with, but I'll figure out all the details once I get the book. I'm planning to weigh in for the first time tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be off to a good start.
    I am 45, about 4'11", and 156 lbs. I lost 36 lbs two years ago on Medifast and was exceedinly happy to be a size 6 for a few brief months. I ultimately gained it ALL back. :(
    I am hopeful that this plan will be part of my answer. Of course the key will also be to get back into physical shape with exercise this time. I have some problems with my feet, so I've been doing DDP Yoga and some swimming with my 5 year old at the gym. Not enough this past week, but I will increase the exercise next week.

Best of luck to us all!!
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3 lbs in my first 5 days!! :happy: I know, first week, water weight, whatever, but it has been AGES since I've seen the scale move like that. It is just what I needed to get started and I am by no means expecting to lose that much each week. How is everyone else doing?
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Doesn't seem like this board is very active, but maybe we can get it going again. Today is my first day of carb cycling, a low-carb day. I did all my shopping for the week yesterday, and then a bunch of prep cutting veggies, cooking ground turkey and chicken, etc. I have my first few days all planned out. I tend to overthink and overplan everything but it works for me - if I don't, that's when I will slip off plan. So I've had my first two meals already, my HC breakfast and my LC whatever-you-call-an-11-am-meal. I've read the first book and it makes a lot of sense to me. And, I think I can stick to the plan - even if I'm hungry, I'm never more than 3 hours from a meal, right? I'd like to lost about 23 lbs. Good luck to all!
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sara. I just bought the book last week and can't wait to get started. I've tried just about everything out there and don't get too excited about new "diets" but after reading this book it seems like something I can handle for the long term. Day 1 will be Sunday... I JUST bought a ton of fruit I need to eat up and I have an unusually long/difficult week at work this week so I didn't want to add one more thing. I will spend this week learning the program, stocking up the fridge with smart foods and eating every 3 hours in preperation. Can't wait to get to know you all and I'm so glad to ahve found this group! :flowerforyou:
  • cleenslate
    cleenslate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 42 . . . Mom of an almost 4 year old amazing boy and I teach 3rd grade. I have about 50 pounds to lose. I have been on MFP since March. Tried counting calories and using elliptical for 30 -45 mins with no results. Got all kinds of advice about eating exercise calories, etc. . . didn't help.

I LOVE Chris Powell and his show is soo inspiring. I bought the new book, Choose More to Lose More and started Turbo Cycling right when vacation began at the end of June. I'm on week 5 now and am really frustrated. I lost 3 pounds, gained 2 and stopped weighing myself. I have not missed one of the morning 9 - minute missions or the shredders so I'm thinking something's off with my food. I can feel my clothes are looser but am so sick of my scale being stuck. I've been blaming sodium and possibly not drinking enough water. So, this week, I'm rededicating myself to drinking only water and lots of it.

Anyone else stumble on this and still have results or do you have to follow to the letter and only eat from his food lists?
    As frustrated as I am beginning to feel, I have no plans to quit. This is the best I've felt . . . I just wish the scale would show something.

Also - do you track in MFP? Can we adjust the settings to understand the fluctuating carbs and calories?
  • DarcyK519
    DarcyK519 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I just finished the book and am starting today. the book is great but a little confusing on some parts. I wish it provided a sample meal plan for high and low days. If anyone has any advise i'd love to hear it.

Daria
  • densa56
    Options
    I am finding it is all about calories in/calories out. As long as you don't eat too few for the exercise you are doing, you should be okay. I follow the MFP recommendations of how many calories to eat each day based on my activity level. If I eat too few , I do not lose weight. I also have a Fitbit to monitor my activity level - love it!
    Dianne
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Happy to see some others posting! I just finished my first 5 days. I started Monday, and I'm doing the Classic, so I've had 3 LC days and 2 HC days. Today I weighed myself and I've lost 5.2 pounds since Monday morning!!! Obviously that pace won't continue (too bad...at that rate I could be at goal in a month!) but I am thrilled to see some movement on the scale. I have been stuck within the same few pounds for AGES (up, down, up, down) so it was great to blow past my sticking point.

Overall I am liking the plan. My first LC day was pretty easy, probably because I had all that food from Sunday still in me. Wednesday was my most difficult day...I was very hungry at the end of the day, and it was actual hunger (headache, exhausted). But I powered through, and really enjoyed my HC day on Thursday. My next LC day was much easier so I think my body is getting used to it.

The beauty of this way of eating is that you are never very far from your next meal. So the few times I've felt hungry, I've told myself hey, it's only a couple of hours until the next meal, no big deal. And if I'm craving carbs (which I'm not very often, surprisingly), I know that I can have some "tomorrow".

The only thing I'm not doing to the letter is eating within the first 30 minutes of awakening...more like 1-1.5 hours. But I am eating every 3 hours after that...I set my reminder on my phone and it tells me when to eat.

My favorite LC meal so far is my "taco salad". I make a huge salad of lettuce and scallions, and 1 oz. of lowfat shredded cheese. I then mix a tsp or so of taco seasoning with some water, and pour it over 3 oz pre-cooked extra-lean ground turkey, and heat that part up (you could eat this cold, of course, I like it hot). I put it on the salad, add a few tbsp of salsa and 1 tbsp light sour cream. Yum!!

HC days there seem to be more options...I like to have ground turkey or some cut up chicken over wholegrain pasta with marinara sauce.

Having a HC breakfast every day is great. Usually I have an omelet with veggies and 1 cup egg substitute, and a piece of toast with FF cream cheese on the side.

How is everyone else doing?

Hope I do as well over the next week! A little nervous about my cheat day tomorrow...have to be sure not to overdo it!!!

--Jill