Packing list for the hospital

Options
What are y'all packing for the hospital? I found this link with a helpful list of stuff, but I'm wondering if you'd add anything or say anything was a waste of time to bring.

http://www.babycenter.com/packing-for-the-hospital-or-birth-center

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My midwife told me to pack:

2 outfits for me (one for birthing and another for going home) - neither should be a pre-pregnancy outfit. Maternity clothes are best
    1 comfortable weather-appropriate outfit for baby
    carseat (if you have one with a base, make sure the base is properly installed before you go)
    toiletries for you and your partner
    2 outfits for your partner (one to wear during labor and another in case he gets dirty)
    5-10 diapers
    Wipes
    hat for baby
    receiving blanket if you want to use your own
    Food. Our maternity center allows us to eat and drink during labor but they don't provide food on-site.

That being said, our birthing center only keeps you for a few hours after labor, so you might want to adjust for longer time stays if you need to.

I'm also packing a 6-pack of Sam Adams for post-birth celebrations.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I think that's one of the lists I used while packing my bag! I just skimmed over it but they say if you're planning to breastfeed to take your nursing or boppy pillow. Also, I know it says diapers but I've been told by so many people not to take any bc the hospital provides you with them.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip:

bring a travel mug with some extra long straws. I swiped some venti straws from Starbucks. When you are in labor, ice water is your best friend and the hospital usually only has teeny styrofoam cups. You don't want your husband to have to trek to the water machine ten million times, and the mug/straw combo is easier to drink from because he can hold it.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip:

bring a travel mug with some extra long straws. I swiped some venti straws from Starbucks. When you are in labor, ice water is your best friend and the hospital usually only has teeny styrofoam cups. You don't want your husband to have to trek to the water machine ten million times, and the mug/straw combo is easier to drink from because he can hold it.

Great tip, thanks! I wrote this one down :-)
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I remember wanting to bring baby finger nail clippers for little man because I didn't want him to scratch his face for newborn pictures, but everyone talked me out of it.... and now looking at his newborn pictures I think "My poor baby with finger nail scratches!" - this time they will be in my bag even if everyone else thinks its ridiculous.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I remember wanting to bring baby finger nail clippers for little man because I didn't want him to scratch his face for newborn pictures, but everyone talked me out of it.... and now looking at his newborn pictures I think "My poor baby with finger nail scratches!" - this time they will be in my bag even if everyone else thinks its ridiculous.

I brought baby mittens and totally needed them. My little guy came out waving his razor claws and scratched his face up.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

I already have them packed!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am planning a home birth this time, but my other three were born in the hospital. Some must haves on my list were music for relaxing during my labor, my birth plan (my midwives also had a copy), make- up (lots of pictures will be taken) and healthy snacks for during my labor. Many hospitals don't feed women in labor, but my midwives suggested eating if you were having a normal labor to help keep your strength up. I also had comfy slippers for doing laps in the hall to help my labor progress as well as the super- ultra overnight pads for post- partum bleeding. The hospital pads just aren't enough. I also recommend witch hazel pads (Tucks makes them) They are advertized for hemorrhoids, but are also great for pot- partum perineal swelling. I also brought my boppy pillow for more comfortable breast feeding.... These were my must haves. Now, I am looking forward to having this baby at home, so everything that I need is already here!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I thought about this over the weekend and really only came up with a few things that were worth it to bring and other things that were not.

Bring:
    -your own toothbrush/toothpaste
    -any toiletries you cannot live without (your own shampoo, for example)
    -eye stuff (glasses, contacts, etc. - I just wore my contacts for those few days)
    -anything you need in case you feel like styling your hair or putting it up
    -make-up in case someone feels like taking pictures, and you're self-conscious
    -camera
    -laptop/tablet/iPad - smartphones are great, but you may want something that is easier to navigate
    -your own pillow if you are really married to it
    -flip-flops or slippers to wear around - those hospital floors are cold!
    -outfit for the baby to wear home (though s/he can certainly wear the little hospital shirt/hat)
    -maternity outfit for you to wear home
    -Chap Stick or other lip balm
    -snacks - hospital food is only ok, they seem to bring it at the worst times (breakfast comes mega early, but you'll inevitably then not get lunch until 1:30), and by the time you get to eat it, it's cold

Don't bother:
    -your own nightgowns - not always easy to nurse in, and sometimes your pad shifts, and you bleed on it or your baby's diaper leaks on you - I had both happen to me, and I'd have been sad if it were not the hospital gown
    -your own underwear - the mesh panties they give you are fine and ok to get ruined, plus they rip off easily

That's about all I could think of!