Is it better to work out on an empty stomach?

Options
I normally try to eat something light (banana) and get some caffeine in my system (red bull) before I go to the gym in the morning. Most days it's good enough to somewhat keep my strength up. I fatigue easy, but I chalk it up to being new and being fat.

Today I ran out of the house without eating and chugged a red bull, and somehow I had a really great workout. I mean, I was in rare form. Kept up, pushed through the fatigue, whaled on the bags, pummeled the mitts...I even got a smirk from the trainer--the first one since I started two months ago!

So...is it just better to box on an empty stomach? My gut tells me no, but after my experience today, I'm curious to know what other more experienced fighters think.

Thanks guys (and gals)

Replies

• RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have really good days and sometimes you just have really bad days. It probably was not the empty stomach. I find I drag pretty badly if I don't eat something in the morning before the gym, but everyone is different. My boyfriend always wakes up and works out on an empty stomach. Try it a few more times and see if you notice a pattern.
  • jvw317
    jvw317 Posts: 25
    Options
    My coach says you have to eat exceptionally well the entire day before you box, and if you are getting in the ring, the closest you can eat to it is four hours beforehand, but he recommends 5 hours. For regular training, I've read in many fitness magazines and journal articles that your body loses muscle when you do not eat before exercise. I think the day you had the red bull only was just a weird day. Or you were really hyper because all you had in your system was caffeine? Either way, I don't recommend exercising on an empty stomach. You shouldn't be hungry while boxing either, but you certainly shouldn't have just eaten for obvious reasons...
  • Spikesfx
    Spikesfx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Depends how long your workout is. I do close to a 2 hour workout when all is said and done so I can't NOT eat before. If you are doing 45 minutes to an hour I think you would be fine as long as you replace after. I do a protein shake after also. I would agree with the girl who said you should eat really well the night before. Make sure you have enough glycogen stored in the muscles. Yes?