Does anyone else have "Folliculitis"??

Options
I have had Folliculitis since i first found out about my PCOS and insulin resistance... It is a condition where your hair folicles get infected and turn into open sores.. it is only on my forearms and thighs... But it is super embarrassing, and i cover up all the time!! Anyone else have it? Or know of anything that helps??

Replies

• whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I actually do, and I had no idea it was related to PCOS until my dermatologist told me when I filled her in on my condition... I actually have it on my butt lol. It really sucks and they hurt when there's a new breakout. I have tried everything, and it gets worse when I work out (yay myfitnesspal lol) and the creams only suppress new breakouts, nut really get rid of it completely. It's super annoying and I hate it. >.< There are like 3 creams they wanted me to use 3 times a day but I only used the more effective one and stopped for a while and it comes back and so on. I just hope in the next few years there will be some sort of advancement that will be able to get rid of it.
  • ladyshands
    Options
    I have it.. it is definitely part of PCOS... actually mine I think is a cross between folliculitis and hidradenitis suppurativa because I get more of the boils that are painful. The only way mine goes away is if I detox and lose weight... which basically means my system is polluted with a lot of crap. Washing with antibacterial soap twice a day and making warm compresses do the trick temporarily
  • whatascene
    Options
    I wonder if I'm closer to what you have... Like they don't get to boil size, they are raised and are like zits on steroids, but on occasion they will pop and blood goes everywhere, it can get pretty painful. I need to get back to the dermatologist. They put me on all of these creams, and I guess there is this really effective medicine, but I'm allergic to Sulfa and that's an ingredient... Working out makes mine worse...
  • ladyshands
    Options
    I have found that topical treatment is temporary... it has a lot to do with what you are putting in your body... if you eat better, drink lots of water and keep your BMI at a good level its like it goes into remission. Since I began eating better and lost a few pounds, I have not had an outbreak. When I ate a lot of junk, they popped up over and over.
  • whatascene
    Options
    Can you tell me what types of food? I've been eating healthier for a year now, and it's the sweat from my workouts that make it worse :( I'm willing to try anything. I'm getting a second opinion from a dermatologist soon
  • mrskeziawallace
    Options
    I get this, particularly if I shave, I had no idea it was related to PCOS
  • cyndallrocks
    cyndallrocks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get this too on my inner thighs. I just do warm compresses and try to keep tight fitting work out gear there so the skin doesn't get a chance to rub and make things worse... I didnt realize it was part of PCOS but it makes perfect sense. I just never put two and two together.