Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

heartburn?

Mlek1969
Mlek1969 Posts: 13 Member
I'm about 3 weeks post op and am having a horrible time with heartburn. It started the day I began the pureed stage. I never had it before surgery. Is this something everyone goes through, or should I call my doctor?

Thanks for any advice!
Lisa

Replies

• I think I would call the doctor and just let them know. Are you taking preventive medication? I take post op meds for prevention of gallstones and stomach acid reduction. A lot of post VSG'rs have immediate reduction in acid reflux after surgery so your heartburn is definitely worthy of a phone call to the doctor.
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Yes, call your doctor. They prescribed a pill for me to take each day to prevent heartburn before I even had surgery.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I had acid reflux before the surgery, so it's nothing new for me and because of that I can't tell you if this is temporary or not. I know my acid reflux is less now. But anyway, I take a generic brand of Prilosec called Omozeprol (spelling might be off). You can get the Omozeprol over the counter just about anywhere. It works really well. One pill in the AM and I'm good for the whole day. Of course, ask your doctor first. Hope that helps.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    My doctor started me on a prescription for acid reflux 5 days prior to surgery and I have to take it for six months after surgery. I think it must be helping me as I don't have any trouble with it. You may want to ask your doctor to prescribe something for you.
  • Mlek1969
    Mlek1969 Posts: 13 Member
    I was given a prescription for Prilosec (Omeprozole) when I left the hospital. I didn't fill it then since I never had heartburn before. I've been taking it daily for about 3-4 days, but it doesn't seem to control it. I seem to be feeling a little better today (so far!), but if it comes back, I'm going to call my dr in the morning.
    Thanks everyone for the replies!
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    I take 40 mg twice a day now and expect to continue post op.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    I took an rx before sleeve surgery for Gerd and started taking it after surgery again too. I was able to get off it at about 3 months post op. My Surgeon told me sometimes acid reflex can be an issue for sleeve people. I also had a hital hernia repaired when they went into do the sleeve surgery which can make acid reflux worse for a while. I am almost 6 months out from sleeve surgery now and don't have an issue with GERD or Acid Reflux. Talk to your dr about getting some meds for it. It will help.
  • Snowflake2218
    Snowflake2218 Posts: 6 Member
    I have lost a lot of sleep due to acid reflux. I'm a year out from surgery. Apparently this is very common after Gastric Sleeve. Ask your surgeon for Protonix, a Rx strangth antacid. It helps a lot. They tell me this gets better over time.