Pad-sicles

Options
Has anyone made/used "padsicles"?

I just found this "recipe" for making them and thought I'd share. (I think I'm going to try them out.)

Post Partum Relief Pads:

Overnight maxi pad
1 tablespoon witch hazel (distilled extract)
Dime sized amount of Aloe Vera Juice (the edible kind)
3-4 drops Lavendar essential oil
Aluminum Foil

Add all liquids to pad. Wrap pad in foil and freeze or refrigerate until needed.

Replies

• mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made/used "padsicles"?

I just found this "recipe" for making them and thought I'd share. (I think I'm going to try them out.)

Post Partum Relief Pads:

Overnight maxi pad
    1 tablespoon witch hazel (distilled extract)
    Dime sized amount of Aloe Vera Juice (the edible kind)
    3-4 drops Lavendar essential oil
    Aluminum Foil

Add all liquids to pad. Wrap pad in foil and freeze or refrigerate until needed.

I've never made them. but I have seen this recipe somewhere. (probably pintrest) lol
    my hospital provided ice pack pads. that helped with the soreness that i used and were great.
    With the padsicicles my only concern would be the lavender oil. i'd skip that ingredient. maybe even the aloe vera. unless u've used this before u don't want to risk any allergic reactions down there especially after delivery. u dont' need a rash or burn adding on to the pain u'll be in down there from delivery.. Witch hazel is helpful if u have hemorrhoids after the delivery.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I used padsicles in the hospital and loved them. If your hospital has you using the giant diaper-like pads right after delivery try to snag a few to take home. I made a few padsicles when I got home (just using cheap pads and water), and I put them on top of a dry pad, and I leaked. I had to make sure to wear old sweats and sat on a towel until I was ready to change. The giant diaper pads from the hospital would have been very helpful!

I agree with mellynat about skipping the lavender and aloe, not a body part you want a reaction on, especially after delivery!

A side note about witch hazel and hemorrhoids, the Tucks pads you can buy in the store are just little wipes soaked in witch hazel. You could probably make your own and save some money. A great accompaniment to those pads are Anusol (NOT Preparation H). Trust me. :/
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I used padsicles in the hospital and loved them. If your hospital has you using the giant diaper-like pads right after delivery try to snag a few to take home. I made a few padsicles when I got home (just using cheap pads and water), and I put them on top of a dry pad, and I leaked. I had to make sure to wear old sweats and sat on a towel until I was ready to change. The giant diaper pads from the hospital would have been very helpful!

I agree with mellynat about skipping the lavender and aloe, not a body part you want a reaction on, especially after delivery!

A side note about witch hazel and hemorrhoids, the Tucks pads you can buy in the store are just little wipes soaked in witch hazel. You could probably make your own and save some money. A great accompaniment to those pads are Anusol (NOT Preparation H). Trust me. :/

Do you mean those huge pads that they put in your hospital bed? Those are awesome! Get as many as you can, but you can also buy them online for about $1-$1.50 apiece. They're called Chux. I bet you can get them at a medical supply store, too.

Oh, and on the witch hazel front, I (thankfully) didn't have hemorrhoids last time, but the paperwork the OB sent me home from the hospital with said that regular witch hazel was fine. I bet it's much, much cheaper to buy witch hazel and use something you already have in your house to apply it. Plus witch hazel has lots of other good uses: http://www.wisebread.com/15-wonderful-uses-for-witch-hazel
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the Chux. Totally just ordered some! A little worried as almost all of our furniture and linens are light grey and white. Eeks.
  • jls8209
    Options

Do you mean those huge pads that they put in your hospital bed? Those are awesome! Get as many as you can, but you can also buy them online for about $1-$1.50 apiece. They're called Chux. I bet you can get them at a medical supply store, too.

Oh, and on the witch hazel front, I (thankfully) didn't have hemorrhoids last time, but the paperwork the OB sent me home from the hospital with said that regular witch hazel was fine. I bet it's much, much cheaper to buy witch hazel and use something you already have in your house to apply it. Plus witch hazel has lots of other good uses: http://www.wisebread.com/15-wonderful-uses-for-witch-hazel

No, they almost look like an adult diaper but without the tabs. When I was in the hospital they had me wear the mesh panties with the giant diaper-like pad inside, then a normal long sanitary pad. The diaper-like pad was there to catch anything that leaked past the long pad (only needed this the first day when bleeding was heavy) and kept the water from the melted pad-sicle contained. On my bed I had a rectangle pad to sit on.

I don't know how to add a pic, but here's what I found on Google. The diaper-like pad I'm talking about is the one on the left.

http://i29.tinypic.com/286qu5i.jpg
  • RBXChas
    Options

No, they almost look like an adult diaper but without the tabs. When I was in the hospital they had me wear the mesh panties with the giant diaper-like pad inside, then a normal long sanitary pad. The diaper-like pad was there to catch anything that leaked past the long pad (only needed this the first day when bleeding was heavy) and kept the water from the melted pad-sicle contained. On my bed I had a rectangle pad to sit on.

I don't know how to add a pic, but here's what I found on Google. The diaper-like pad I'm talking about is the one on the left.

http://i29.tinypic.com/286qu5i.jpg

Ooh, I never got those! They look awesome! (In an adult-diaper-I-don't-want-to-stain-another-hospital-gown way :tongue: )

I just got the mesh panties and the separate super deluxe maxi pads, then when I got home I bought these: http://www.diapers.com/p/kotex-overnight-maxi-pads-with-wings-14-ct-53148

I wish I'd gotten more of those mesh panties, though. They can also be bought online...
  • jls8209
    Options

Ooh, I never got those! They look awesome! (In an adult-diaper-I-don't-want-to-stain-another-hospital-gown way :tongue: )

I just got the mesh panties and the separate super deluxe maxi pads, then when I got home I bought these: http://www.diapers.com/p/kotex-overnight-maxi-pads-with-wings-14-ct-53148

I wish I'd gotten more of those mesh panties, though. They can also be bought online...

Functionally they were awesome, but comfort-wise they were yucky!

I LOVED the regular pads the hospital provided. They were the super thick type I wouldn't normally buy, but when I got home they were great for providing padding to my sore girlie bits. I found it really uncomfortable to sit on our kitchen chairs for the first few weeks and they were the one item I wished I had snagged more of. When I ran out I had to resort to sitting on a pillow when eating dinner (I went to the store and picked out pads that looked thick but they didn't cut it).

I brought some mesh panties home but didn't end up using them. I wore my period panties and they're going in the garbage now that the bleeding has finally stopped. It's time for some new ones anyway, so I'm not worried I ruined some of them.
  • RBXChas
    Options

Functionally they were awesome, but comfort-wise they were yucky!

I LOVED the regular pads the hospital provided. They were the super thick type I wouldn't normally buy, but when I got home they were great for providing padding to my sore girlie bits. I found it really uncomfortable to sit on our kitchen chairs for the first few weeks and they were the one item I wished I had snagged more of. When I ran out I had to resort to sitting on a pillow when eating dinner (I went to the store and picked out pads that looked thick but they didn't cut it).

I brought some mesh panties home but didn't end up using them. I wore my period panties and they're going in the garbage now that the bleeding has finally stopped. It's time for some new ones anyway, so I'm not worried I ruined some of them.

I plan for this to be my last pregnancy, so I can ruin the hell out of my maternity panties, I don't care! (It's not like I'm going to sell them...)

During my first pregnancy I bought the Total Pillow at Bed Bath & Beyond, which is round and can be twisted into various shapes for lumbar support, etc. It almost looks like a hemorrhoid pillow (the circle pillow), and it actually came in handy for my first few days at home! It allowed me to sit and relieve pressure on my lady parts.

I think it was about $12 at BB&B, but they always have those 20% off or $5 off coupons.