'Rump' roast and 'Ham'....LOL!!!!!! 12/10

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Hey, I went to a demonstration last week on how to use a new fitness appartus...basically a Smith Machine. Anyhoo, the part that I wanted to share with you guys is the personal trainer told the group most people are weak in the buttocks and hamstrings because we really don't 'use' them enough and certainly don't work them out purposefully enough...soooo guess what?
We will concentrate on that this week!
I know this whole heartedly because that had to do with my knee injury...weak butt muscles! (all related)
Read this: http://www.projectswole.com/weight-training/the-top-5-best-hamstring-exercises/

I like this becasue not only do you get info on the purpose of your hamstrings but how it helps you in EVERYDAY life!!!!! YOU the teenage question "why should I do that??" LOL!

Challenge learn and add safely one hamstring exercise to your routine today! Whether with or without weights. USE good form always!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Oooh... Super Trainer has a couple good ones... I get at least one to two every time I train with her!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I just completed my Strong Lifts weight routine, and I was doing Squats with free weights and a bar. : ) Supposedly better than using a Smith Machine because you are able to get into correct form. I'v read that once you add weights to the smith, the heavier you go, the more likely you'll get injured because of poor form. Anyway, nice read! The Glute Ham Raises, look crazy hard! I'm going to give those a try tonight
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Ms Rachel please share what the super trainer has taught you! What kinds of ham exercises???
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I do not have the equipment for the exercises demonstrated in the article but when I get a chance i will definitely give it a college try.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Ms Lisa you can do one when they hold your legs and you lean forward...no equipment except maybe one of your kids to hold your legs. I want to try that one!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The smith machines always seem to be surrounded by the ultra-super-mega-musclehead-bro's. I know how to use it as well as the next person, but I'd rather not have to deal with it. From the list, nothing really requires a smith, just a bar, or really just barbells except for the Romanians. The first three WILL MESS UP YOUR BACK if you do them wrong or use too much weight. However, if you do them right you'll end up with insanely strong back muscles.

Now, something that you can do with a smith that absolutely NOBODY does, but will give you the most amazing butt on earth: use it like a hip sled/hack squat machine:
    Body-Solid-Leg-Press-Hack-Squat-Machine-small.jpg

Now, just think of that, but pushing straight up. I haven't seen a smith with the right attachment since I was in high school, but man did I have a tight butt. Anyway, without the right attachment the best way I can figure to do it and still stay safe is to take off your shoes so the bar sits in the arch of your foot. Just be careful not to roll the bar too far forward or you'll slip. (Trust me though. If you do this in a gym you'll freak everyone the hell out. They won't be able to figure out what you're doing until after its done...or they stop you from doing a perfectly good exercise.)
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you Garlic. I will do my best to recruit one of my kids. Lol they tend to run and hide when I want them to help or workout.