Stuck!

Options
crystalflame
crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
I started running for fun a few months ago, and when I got to the point where I could run a 5K pretty easily I decided I wanted to train for a 10K. I've been doing Hal Higdon's training program for several weeks now, but I can't seem to break past the 4 mile mark - by the time I'm there I'm exhausted and gasping for air. I try running slower, but that seems to make things even harder and I often end up walking. I know my form needs a lot of work, and I'm trying to improve my breathing too. Any suggestions for how to break through the plateau?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Try running slower from the start, not when you start to get tired, and see if that helps.

Also, make sure you aren't running (or attempting) the same distance every day. Mix it up. 2 miles one day, 3 the next, then 5, then 2, etc.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    Definately slow down from the start. Hal has a good plan. Its not overly aggressive and he doesn't really stress speed. The point is to build endurance. We all kiind of have mental threasholds you need to cross. Once you cross it, you'll be fine....

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cyndi
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Incorporate walking breaks along the way too if you start to feel like you're losing it. Once you're gassed you've accumulated a big oxygen debt and burned most of your easy energy; that's tough to come back from. Incorporating walking intervals is nothing to be ashamed of, it's a great way to build some endurance and avoid injury.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Or, you just have to push through it to build your VO2 max. How did you get to 4? Certainly not by stopping when you get tired. Even if you have to walk the extra mile, push through the distance (obviously not to the point of injury though). You will find yourself being able to run a little bit further with the same energy output next time you try. You can do it!
  • KayandBelle
    KayandBelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do you train with a Garmin? When I started running in May 2012, I could barely run a mile. I used a Garmin to track my miles and pace. This helped a lot. You may be making more progress than you think. My guess you are running faster per mile.