Hello, Can't wait to get sleeved!!!

Options
Missjulesdid
Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
Hello, Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Julie and I'm getting sleeved in Mexico on March 13th. I'm currently on a 3 month High Protein 800 calorie VLCD trying to lose as much weight as I can prior to surgery. I'm on week 2 of my diet and it's going well so far though I don't know how much weight I've lost yet. I want to lose 40 pounds before surgery just to reduce my risks a bit.... and also so I can fit in that teeeeeny tiny little airline seat a little better!... oh and as an added bonus, If I can get below 290, I'll save $750 on the cost of my surgery! Woot Woot.

I'd love to have some bariatric surgery-friendly friends on MFP so please add me if you're in it for the long haul!

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Ok my friend, just a few thoughts..... If you are having your surgery in Mexico I guess I would have to ask where and why?. What kind of presurgical medical evals have you been required to have? Blood work, nutritional evals, psyche, group counseling, sleep study, upper GI? How are you being assessed and prepared for what will follow post surgery? I know you are on a very calorie restrictive diet for 3 months, did your doc in Mexico recommend this or did you self impose? To lose a certain amount to receive a monetary discount just doesn't sound right to me. I worry about the quality of the medical care in Mexico. I have spent alot of time traveling in Mexico and I can assure you I would not want to be in a hospital there. Do they speak English or do you speak Spanish? I don't mean to be a Debbie downer but please really think about having this done state side if you possibly can.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Don't worry about being a Debbie Downer, I know the concern is genuine.

The surgery is in Tijuana. Medical tourism is quite popular for Bariatric Surgery in Mexico. My doctor has actually received some of this medical training in Fresno.He has done over 2500 Bariatric procedures and works in a modern hospital which is well equipped. I will stay two nights in the hospital and another three nights at the Marriott before my final check and leak test before returning home. This is coordinated through a company outside of mexico that inspects facilities and also reviews the doctors. This is not some chop shop I'm going to!

As for the pre eval stuff. No psych evaluation is necessary in mexico, but honestly I'm not concerned about that in the slightest. As for the sleep study, not everyone is required to have a sleep study, even in the united states. I do not have sleep apnea.. I don't even snore, if I did I'd sure let the surgical team know though! As for Blood work, the Doctor did ask for my most recent thyroid panel which I sent... I'm sure if I had other issues, they'd have asked for more, but I'm not diabetic, I don't have high blood lipids, I don't take any medications except for synthroid for my thyroid.

As for the monetary discount. Doctors charge an extra fee if you are over a bmi of 49. If I lose 40 pounds in the next three months my BMI will be under 49. The required pre-op diet is two weeks but I contacted the nutritionist and explained that I wanted to start now so she helped me modify it so I can follow for three months. I want to lose the weight in order to have a more successful surgical outcome.. Saving money is just a bonus!

As for seeing a doctor stateside. I could see a very cheap doctor in the USA in texas or nevada who does this as an outpatient procedure for 11,000 dollars.... Or I could see a doctor locally and pay 18,000... or I can go to mexico for 4,500 and enjoy having an actual hospital stay with qualified doctors that I trust. Yeah, of course there is some risk, but really, I feel quite comfortable with my choice of doctor (I'll actually have two surgeons because these particular doctors always practice as a team) Oh yes, and they both speak English as does the majority of the staff... the bulk of their patients are Americans and Canadians.

I hope that alleviates some of your concerns. It's definitely not the right decision for everyone but for me it makes total sense and I'm very comfortable with it.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. I know not everyone needs the sleep apnea test, me included but thought I would throw it out there just in case. Wish you all the best and will be watching you!!
  • Mlek1969
    Mlek1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had sleeve surgery three weeks ago. I love it! Good luck on your pre-op diet and upcoming surgery!
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • ggrn955
    ggrn955 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group, so hello all! I am pre-op, meet with the surgeon on the 20th, where I hope he tells me I am a candidate (fingers, toes, and eyes crossed). I have been in a medically supervised weight loss program for 8 months as is required by my insurance. And I have not done great on that program, just 27 pounds lost in 8 months... Which just reinforces for me the need for this surgery. I hope to have my surgery Jan 21st.
    Good luck to you in Mexico and I look forward to hearing from less of you in the future:)
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Good luck! I hope you get the green light. If things don't work out, there's always Mexico!
  • VSGme
    VSGme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi and best of luck on your upcoming surgery! I am a self pay with my consultation scheduled Jan 8th. If all goes well, I'm booking the first available date after that! My surgery cost will be 9,800 which includes all costs except for my hotel stay. I live in Prairieville Louisiana and am having mine done in New Iberia Louisiana by Dr Borland.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Hi and best of luck on your upcoming surgery! I am a self pay with my consultation scheduled Jan 8th. If all goes well, I'm booking the first available date after that! My surgery cost will be 9,800 which includes all costs except for my hotel stay. I live in Prairieville Louisiana and am having mine done in New Iberia Louisiana by Dr Borland.

Good luck to you too! Living in the south has its advantages when it comes to self pay prices. I looked into getting it in my area and it was $18,000.