Eating dates late in pregnancy --> easier L&D?

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
Someone I know posted this on Facebook today: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280989

It's just an abstract, but it's really interesting. Dates are yummy, so I plan to eat up!!!

Replies

• TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hmm very interesting, and I too love dates!
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting! I think I'll have to eat a lot of dates next July/early August!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Wonder where I would even find a date in this Podunk town of mine tho lol...

For those of you that have tried them do they taste like figs? I absolutely despised them the first time I tried one of those lol...
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Wonder where I would even find a date in this Podunk town of mine tho lol...

For those of you that have tried them do they taste like figs? I absolutely despised them the first time I tried one of those lol...

They aren't seedy like figs are... I like dried dates but they're extremely sweet, so a little goes a long way! I have a paleo recipe for "Nutty Blueberry Protein Balls" that uses dates, so maybe I can make some of those.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    ha, I just read about it the other day and bought me some. Lol. I am just about 36wks now so anything that will make labor easier I have to try. I was also reading banana's help in labor too because its full of potassium and potassium helps with muscle contractions. SOO ladies, stock up on dates and bananas! :))
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I thought I'd bump this, since Red Raspberry Leaf Tea was bumped up, and I guess in 5 weeks I should go out and buy some dates :)
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of this either. Super interesting, and since I love dates I think it won't hurt to try :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    That's what I figure - I love them already, so what's the harm? Six dates/day :)
  • ehg87
    Options
    So for anyone that has a BJ's nearby. I bought a bag of dates today for $7.50...and it's a BIGGG bag. K, just thought I'd share.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Cool, I will have to check Costco!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this up as a reminder for all of us who are in the homestretch! It hit me last night that I still have yet to go buy my dates!!!
  • ehg87
    Options
    I bought my bag early, and have had a few off and on.....and ultimately decided that as much as I love dates. I don't love them nearly as much as I thought I did :ohwell: I'm still going to give it a go. While I don't find them repulsive, it won't be a joy to eat them :smile:
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Did anyone find them at Costco?
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I bought my bag early, and have had a few off and on.....and ultimately decided that as much as I love dates. I don't love them nearly as much as I thought I did :ohwell: I'm still going to give it a go. While I don't find them repulsive, it won't be a joy to eat them :smile:

Don't tell me that! :wink:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Did anyone find them at Costco?

I haven't looked yet, but my husband swears he's seen them there.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11048506&whse=BD_823&topnav=bdoff
  • ehg87
    Options
    Well there is an upside. They're sweet enough to kick any sweets cravings that I'm having...and it's definitely better than eating ice cream or pie...
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Well there is an upside. They're sweet enough to kick any sweets cravings that I'm having...and it's definitely better than eating ice cream or pie...

I wondered about that, if it would replace dessert - good to know :happy:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I :heart: dates! I cook them into my bean brownies. This gives me another excuse to bake :laugh:
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up because that is interesting. I found these two studies:

Shorter labor: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280989
    Reduced bleeding after labor compared with taking oxytocin: http://semj.sums.ac.ir/vol8/apr2007/dates.htm

I for one am going to eat six a day starting at week 36 and will bring some to the hospital to reduce my bleeding as my plan is to leave the hospital ASAP after birth and they only let you go if the bleeding is good :)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to give it a try too. If nothing else the fiber should be good for me!