Can someone explain the Belly Band?

Options
rubybeach
rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
I can still fit into my jeans, but it's not comfortable. My SIL was kind enough to buy me a belly band and I tried it on last night and I'm confused.

You leave the button and zipper undone, do you pull the belly band all the way Down to your legs? I felt like it wasn't sturdy when I bent over......

Thanks

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yes, you leave the pants unbuttoned (and unzipped if you can't zip, either), then put the belly band over them, like you would a long shirt. Then wear a shirt that covers it all.

For me that is too complicated, plus I found the belly band rolled up a lot.
  • rubybeach
    Options
    Thanks, that's kinda how I felt........ I feel like my pants will fall down!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What I did that seemed to help is that I just took a piece of thick stretchy fabric ( I think it was from an old sports bra). I sewed a button on one side and made a button hole on the other. I think I made it about three inches long. It gave me some extra time until I had to buy new pants.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What I did that seemed to help is that I just took a piece of thick stretchy fabric ( I think it was from an old sports bra). I sewed a button on one side and made a button hole on the other. I think I made it about three inches long. It gave me some extra time until I had to buy new pants.

^This or the rubber band trick: http://diymaternity.com/pants-skirts/the-rubberband-maternity-trick/
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I did the rubber band trick w all my regular jeans till almost 8 months.. then it wasn't working cuz my zipper kept coming down too. lol so I finally gave in a bought a new pair of maternity pants..
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The belly band is the most underused thing I purchased as far as maternity wear is concerned. Some people rave about how they extend the life of your wardrobe, but like you and Rebecca, I always felt like my pants were falling down every time I wore mine. I was constantly stopping to hitch them up.
  • rubybeach
    Options
    Thanks ladies, great advice..... I'll try them out.

After years of being a total cheapo with clothes, I bought my first designer jeans 2 years ago...... I'm hooked, what a difference! It's worth the splurge to me to buy 1 pair for pregnancy jeans. I like Hudson and Citizens, has anyone bought these in maternity jeans?

If so, from where? Thanks
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the band but I'm one of the ones who thinks its a pain in the *kitten*. Its a pain to constantly adjust and I feel like I'm always hiking my pants up cause they're falling off my butt! I'm sticking to wearing leggings...much easier! I did get a pair of dark skinny maternity jeans from Old Navy, they look great and are just so much more comfortable. I'd rather be comfortable than try to get creative about expanding the waist band on my regular jeans with hairbands, etc
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options

After years of being a total cheapo with clothes, I bought my first designer jeans 2 years ago...... I'm hooked, what a difference! It's worth the splurge to me to buy 1 pair for pregnancy jeans. I like Hudson and Citizens, has anyone bought these in maternity jeans?

A Pea in the Pod sells those brands. I tried them on along with like 100 others in a desperate search to find jeans that made me feel a bit stylish/pretty/sexy. I ended up purchasing a pair of AG bootcut and IT! skinny jeans that I thought were ridiculously overpriced, but which I actually wear all the time and adore. I waited for a really long time before breaking down and buying them...probably should have done it sooner. I know I'll be wearing them postpartum for a while as well (and will save for if I get pregnant again) to make me feel like I've gotten my money's worth. :-)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options

A Pea in the Pod sells those brands. I tried them on along with like 100 others in a desperate search to find jeans that made me feel a bit stylish/pretty/sexy. I ended up purchasing a pair of AG bootcut and IT! skinny jeans that I thought were ridiculously overpriced, but which I actually wear all the time and adore. I waited for a really long time before breaking down and buying them...probably should have done it sooner. I know I'll be wearing them postpartum for a while as well (and will save for if I get pregnant again) to make me feel like I've gotten my money's worth. :-)

PS: I've actually had non-pregnant people compliment me on them and tell me they want their own pair. (I guess for when they go marathon eating...who knows?)
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The belly band is the most underused thing I purchased as far as maternity wear is concerned. Some people rave about how they extend the life of your wardrobe, but like you and Rebecca, I always felt like my pants were falling down every time I wore mine. I was constantly stopping to hitch them up.

^^ This
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

^^^^ This. Biggest waste of money for me. I think i wore it like 2 times and said screw it. I just did the rubber band trick for a while
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I thought it sucked.

Bought some maternity leggings and jeans, was so much more comfortable, and I didn't feel like a fatass that couldn't do her pants up.
  • rubybeach
    Options
    Haha thanks ladies!

I'm definitely buying a pair when I make it back to the US :smile: