Frequency of Workouts

Options
candy423
candy423 Posts: 28 Member
I've been working out 5 days a week, but I am wondering is that is too much. Within a week I have hit the gym, done zumba, walked away the pounds or done a few sets of strengthening exercises. What are some of your workout routines like?

Replies

• Latiffany31
    Options
    I do Zumba twice a week and workout dvd's at home 3-5 days a week. I often work out every day of the week. I think it is all about what your body can take. I have attempted workouts and my body yelled NO! LOL. I just tried again the next day :)
  • Jwilliams57
    Jwilliams57 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started, so for now I go 3 to 4 times a week and my body is cool with that...lol
  • mochalishious
    mochalishious Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to work out 4-5 days a week. Sometimes 2x a day. In the morning nothing major. Maybe a mile on the elliptical or a quick 10 minute work out with the Tv. Once a week I do try to hit my zumba class.
  • Thickhoney
    Options
    More is never enough, when it comes to a good thing. :smile: I wish that I was a little more motivvated to get a workout in every day, but I aim for 5 days a week. My trainer recommends a day of rest when I have been going hard for a couple of days in a row, but 'rest' is subjective. It doesn't mean lay around on the couch--my favorite sport--but more restorative or easy exercise, like a long slow walk, yoga.

Whatever you are doing, I encourage you to listen to your body; be mindful of strain and pain, warm up and stretch, etc.
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    5 times a week is def a good recommended number and it's what I do. I usually rest on Monday and some random other day. I use to do mainly cardio, but now that I'm more interested in toning, most of my time is spent doing weight training.
  • Angel2Blessed
    Options
    Im just starting again and my goal is 7 days at least 30 minutes of walking( Get that walking my dog 3x a day 10 minutes each). Classes at the gym 3x a week at least but aiming for 5 (3 aerobic and 2 yoga). Thats my goal and ill see how that works and adjust accordingly
  • SweetTayta
    SweetTayta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I currently workout six days a week at home. I have several dvd's I alternate from Zumba to Walk Away The Pounds. But here for the pass mth I added strength ( with light weights of course) at 3 days as well. Is this too much
  • Dom_Butterfly
    Options
    I currently do Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred for 30 mins, 5 days a week, and I teach dance 3 days a week
  • DivaTKG
    DivaTKG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-5 days a week.
    30 minutes on treadmill. Running for 5 minutes. Walking for 2
    30 minutes on elliptical
    40 minutes of weight training. Alternating between abs/legs and abs/arms

Every once in a while, Ill fit a Zumba Class in.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Working out TOO much is hard to do. Everyone should do "something" physical at least 30 min everyday. Many "hardcore" fitness people take one day of rest if that. Usually 3-4 days of cardio, 5 days of strength is good enough (in no specific order). I'm in between routines at the moment but I try to burn at least 300 plus cals a day whether it be through cardio or strength training. I love workout dvd's, treadmill, and dance. I just started Chalean Extreme which involves heavy lifting. There are two days of rest but I plan to Zumba on the off days. Hope this helps :-)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I work out every day...every day I am doing something, even if it is just walking. I hit the gym and lift weights 3-4 days a week. This month I'm going to do my best to make it 4 days a week. I also hula hoop...kinda fell off that during December but picking it up again this month. I aim to hoop at least 3 times a week, 30 minutes at a time.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I perosnally didn't see results until I started working 5 days a week, but you have to find your comfort zone on working out and not just doing what someone is doing. As you continue to progress you will have to increase your days to continue to lose (plateau). Continue to do what your doing - GET AS MUCH INFORMATION AS YOU CAN. With knowledge there is power!
  • thickmadame80
    thickmadame80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week at least 1hr to 2 hr on those days. I have one rest day. I make it a point to burn at least 1000-1200 calories per day. I don't think it is too much. I see the reults. I have lost 25 lbs since 11/1/12 and got 60-80 more to go by 7/1/13. Keep up the good work.
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday! I try to have days of rest but i think i am addicted to the high of working out. I think it's okay as long as you alternate what you are doing. I lift weights and cardio. It's worth it! Good Luck
  • jsray0210
    Options
    Dom- how far along are you in 30DS, I am currently on Level 2 Day 1 - all I can say is wow!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I went hard like 6 days a week and I'm going to get back to that... Now I'm at 3-4 times a week!
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My fitness week has looked like this for the past 3 years:

Sun - rest day
    Mon - Strength training
    Tue - Cardio
    Wed - Strength training
    Thu - Cardio
    Fri - Strength training
    Sat - rest day

I am a "Workout At Home" exerciser using DVDs and use Bowflex Selectech Dumbbells, Resistance Tubes, Stability Ball, and my own body weight. My average workout times are 30-60 minutes per session. About every six months I take a week off to do nothing but stretching and walking...no strength training.

I believe in each person experimenting with what works for you in reaching goals. Good luck.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I CrossFit almost every weekday morning. I might skip either a Monday (if I backpacked the weekend before) or a Thursday if we've had 3 crazy intense WODs in a row and I need to rest before Friday and the weekend's outdoor activity.

I also walk my dog 2-6 miles every evening.

On the weekends, I usually hike or mountain bike - usually on Saturday - or I'll backpack (= hiking both days, in on Sat and out on Sun).

In a nutshell, I make it a point to move my body a bit every day.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I try to get in an hour of cardio 5-6 days a week. I set my goals on here to much lower I think 45 minutes 4 times a week so that way if I have a slow week I dont feel like a complete failure. I am doing pretty good about hitting my hour a day though. I don't log my strength training though, need to work on that. I try to do that 4 times a week, I also do abs about 3-4 times a week.
  • fedgal
    fedgal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work out on the recumbent bike and elliptical 5-6 days a week for 35 minutes to an hour. Also, I walk roundtrip from train to work about 2.5 miles, two days a week.