Planet Fitness - any good reviews?

Options
I started going to LA Fitness with a 7 day pass I got in the mail but I feel so unsure of joining LA because it's too expensive I exercise at home and been pretty successful so far but now I want to start lifting and the cheapest membership I've found is at planet fitness. Does anyone go there? How you like it?

Replies

• MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I go there! I like the cost of it and how friendly/non-intimidating it is. They have machines for strenth training and cardio. They also have an area where you do a Curve's style 30 min session. I usually do that, 15 min on the elipitical and then do some situps/stretches.

With that being said, there are some things that I miss (I joined when my Bally's club closed). For example, there are no classes and I was an avid step aerobic-er. There is no pool. There are no in house trainers. They do have a trainer who will hold sessions but they are open to all members.

I think it really just comes down to what you are looking for in a gym.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I go there! I like the cost of it and how friendly/non-intimidating it is. They have machines for strenth training and cardio. They also have an area where you do a Curve's style 30 min session. I usually do that, 15 min on the elipitical and then do some situps/stretches.

With that being said, there are some things that I miss (I joined when my Bally's club closed). For example, there are no classes and I was an avid step aerobic-er. There is no pool. There are no in house trainers. They do have a trainer who will hold sessions but they are open to all members.

I think it really just comes down to what you are looking for in a gym.

Thanks so much for your feedback.
    I also did the step class when I joined bally's and stopped when I got pregnant.

planet fitness advertises unlimited personal trainer I though I could just eschedule a personal session for free but that's not the case hum? :(

They have the membership that you pay $99 for one year that's a great price to me. I was going to join online but after reading your reply I will go take a look first.
  • MandyMcAwesome
    Options
    It is unlimited personal training, but it's not one on one (unless no one else shows up). They schedule different things at different times during the week. You just sign up. The trainer is good and you will learn a lot, but I see it more of a "teaching you how to do things class" than a "in your face to make sure you loose weight" trainer. Here is the schedule for my location.

http://www.planetfitness.com/clubs/10733/docs/group_fitness_training.pdf

Of course, as cheap as it is, I dont really think about it. I pay 10 a month for my membership (and a 35 charge every October). So, if somehow a month goes by and I havent made it out there, I dont feel so guilty I cancel the membership.

Also, it is probably the cleanest and best maintained gym I have ever gone to.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    Thanks for pointing that out. That's what i didnt like about bally's cause the location I went to it was always dirty. I live in spring branch area and plan to go to the one @hammerly blvd.
  • MandyMcAwesome
    Options
    Did you ever join? I also go to the one on Hammerly.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    This would be good for girls, and guys on light weights. If you're looking to actually lift some heavy stuff, I wouldn't suggest it. They have stupid rules.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i woudlnt suggest them either, they offer pizza on mondays or fridays... only reason i say is because if im dedicated to a gym, i want to dedicate my diet as well.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    Did you ever join? I also go to the one on Hammerly.

I didn't join because they don't have a kids club and have nobody to watch my child. I joined blast fitness (bally) and their membership costs the same $10 a month or $20 a month including child care.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    i woudlnt suggest them either, they offer pizza on mondays or fridays... only reason i say is because if im dedicated to a gym, i want to dedicate my diet as well.

Free pizza at a gym? Lol I don't know if I should call it how stupid or funny