Strava

Options
beatpig
beatpig Posts: 97 Member
Anyone here use Strava? Any good? I've used it a couple of times - first two times has been fantastic, but this morning recorded that I'd only done 0.5miles!

Should I continue?

Thoughts?

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty competitive and live in an area with a lot of other racers, so I use it to keep motivated.

There is an MFP group on there: http://app.strava.com/clubs/gs-myfitnesspal

If you're using a phone app, they tend to be less reliable than the dedicated GPS units out there. One guy in our group probably loses one ride a week because his phone messed up the ride data.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love it. I record my data via my Garmin Forerunner 310xt and Garmin Connect and then export to Strava (and Endomondo).

http://app.strava.com/athletes/169853
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Every now and then it craps out on me (using an Android phone) but I love it. While I'll never earn any KOMs (we have some seriously fast folks up here) it at least motivates me to make/track personal gains. Love to see the progress over time. I've used MapmyRide, Endomondo, Sportstracker and still like Strava the best, fav app & web.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/596751
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I run Strava & a Polar CS200 (historical product & entry level at its best) side by side. Strava data is not really accurate, I think - the max speed is always wrong (too high) - total distance is in the acceptable ballpark figure. I still use it because of fast upload & it is more interesting to see the route on screen so until I have a dedicated bike GPS I will keep using it.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Oh - and it's DEFINITELY at it's best with a proper GPS rather than the various smartphone APPS...
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just have a samsung galaxy s2, and cannot really afford a proper GPS, and tonight on the way home it seemed to work ok. I think I will keep using it. You all have new follows from me! Christopher! Cheers btw, seems like worth sticking with until I get a gps!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I just have a samsung galaxy s2, and cannot really afford a proper GPS, and tonight on the way home it seemed to work ok. I think I will keep using it. You all have new follows from me! Christopher! Cheers btw, seems like worth sticking with until I get a gps!

I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone and export the .tcx file and upload that to Strava, rather than using the Starva app!
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to use cyclemeter because it would email my wife so she could track me on longer rides (for safety reasons), however I started using strava a couple of months ago, and like its features much better. However as several people have already noted, I use my Iphone and its GPS tends to miss segments, so I am now looking for a good GPS device.
  • Loulousq
    Loulousq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the Strava app: http://www.strava.com/athletes/lou_q
    I got it earlier this month and i think it works great on my LG Optimus V from Virgin mobile. The GPS works perfectly and I haven't had any data errors. The app has force closed a few times but I use the website to make any changes that the app can't handle. I like seeing the timer, distance and average speed in real time. I barely started cycling so on my mountain bike so I am no where near the speed of the road bikers but hope to pick up my speed as time goes by.
  • meredithaloring
    meredithaloring Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The errors you saw were likely from your tracking device and not from the strava app. Super competitive people LOVE strava - and I am one of them! http://app.strava.com/athletes/126522
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    The errors you saw were likely from your tracking device and not from the strava app. Super competitive people LOVE strava - and I am one of them! http://app.strava.com/athletes/126522

Wow, that ride on the 24th is impressive!!!
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I swore, given the bad press, that I wouldn't use Strava and be one of those Stravassholes, but for some reason I did end up loading a ride once just to see and I love it. I have a Garmin so I don't have any issues loading. I don't think I'm super competitive but I like seeing that I improve!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I swore, given the bad press, that I wouldn't use Strava and be one of those Stravassholes, but for some reason I did end up loading a ride once just to see and I love it.

Strava's had bad press? Why?
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Partly down to that TOOL that offed himself on a downhill run whilst chasing a record time I guess... Though having looked at one or two "serious racer types" accounts, some of the "banter" does have a tinge of the worst kind of macho cobblers that used to annoy me back when I used to race myself...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/family-sues-strava-over-descending-death_224889

I remember back in summer last year, there was a mandatory "updated terms of service" that gave them a loophole to avoid further cases...
  • cloggsy71
    Options

Partly down to that TOOL that offed himself on a downhill run whilst chasing a record time I guess... Though having looked at one or two "serious racer types" accounts, some of the "banter" does have a tinge of the worst kind of macho cobblers that used to annoy me back when I used to race myself...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/family-sues-strava-over-descending-death_224889

I remember back in summer last year, there was a mandatory "updated terms of service" that gave them a loophole to avoid further cases...

Oh that?

Well, you can't legislate for 'idiots'. If some fool wants to blaze down a hill & they come off, that is surely down to them and not a website? Darwinism at work?

BTW, on that note I've just opened a website called www.GiveCloggsyAllYourMoney.co.uk - you can transfer cash by PayPal, bank transfer etc...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I agree - it's just modern day natural selection at work, but hey - Strava's owned/run by Septic's isn't it ? it's just par for the course in the worlds most litigious country I suppose :shrug:
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The Flint family should be ashamed of themselves. The deceased was traveling above the speed limit and being foolish when he died.

STRAVA is a service that is world-wide, and the family's attorney is quoted as saying:

[The family takes issue with this lack of accountability. “They assume no responsibility,” Kang said. “They don’t put cones out. They don’t have anybody monitor and see whether a course, or a specific segment, is dangerous.” ]

Hello?! The Flint family expects STRAVA to put out cones and monitor all the courses that individuals log world-wide?!

STRAVA is a great program. Don't let a couple of morons deter you from using this great tool to track your progress.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I swore, given the bad press, that I wouldn't use Strava and be one of those Stravassholes, but for some reason I did end up loading a ride once just to see and I love it.

Having a urban downhill segment is pretty stupid. Also, not only did this guy get killed but some other d-bag was chasing a Strava segment and killed pedestrian. I love Strava segments as long as it does not require you to break posted traffic laws. The good news is that you can now flag segments as dangerous and they will be removed.