When did your child start speaking?

Options
dolly3186
dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm the mom of a beautiful almost 20 month old boy who was recently diagnosed with ASD. He is in intensive Early Intervention therapy with a Floortime/ABA approach.

I'm feeling a big discouraged today and a little down. Hopefully I can get some support on here today. :) Some days I feel like he's learning so much and then other days (like today) I feel pretty down about everything. It's so hard. I know you parents understand.

My son seems to understand little to NO language at all. He doesn't wave or say any words, not even "mama" or "dada" or "Hi" or "bye". Nothing. Early Intervention is trying on working with sign language with him, but that's been a struggle. He screams and cries and hates doing it and doesn't understand what or why they're trying to make him do what they're asking.

He is very happy and healthy and usually always smiling and laughing. Most days are better than others, but today's just a downer. I just wish I had a magic ball to see into the future and see how much, if any, he will progress in the years to come. I want so desperately to hear him speak or even to understand simple receptive language. I know it's in there.

I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but I think every mom with an ASD child does at some point. I keep thinking of anything I did when I was pregnant or anything that happened after he was born that may have caused this. I know it's silly, but I can't help how I'm feeling. I know it's not my fault.

Waah, just a pity party day here for me. Things will get better and easier I hope.

Anyone care to share stories from when their children were young toddlers? Does anyone have a child that's still non-verbal? If so, how is communication? If your son/daughter is verbal, how old were they before there was any words?

Thanks everyone. Much love.

Replies

• AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My son is 30 months old and he still does not have any words. My stepdaughter (who is 21 now) was diagnosed with ASD in kindergarten and was nonverbal until she was 6.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My child on the spectrum was talking when diagnosed. Not talking age appropriately for sure and still isn't, but there was functional language. We actually thought it was a mild speech delay before we realized it was ASD.

I have a friend with a child who uses PECS although he can now occasionally say 2-word sentences sometimes. About two years ago, he was completely non-verbal. I came across another boy who was completely nonverbal until age 4 and now talks quite well.

Your child is still so young and there's still so much time for improvement.

One of the therapies we did that I really liked, and you can do this yourself, is PRT. Pivotal Response Treatment. It's all about using the child's motivation to get them to talk. It's sort of like Floortime combined with ABA.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    3 and now at 5 she can talk your ear off. it is still hard to understand so word, but over all it is nice to her her vocie.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My daughter could only speak a couple words and some echolalic phrases (mostly from Dora the Explorer) until she was 3 and got diagnosed. She started therapy right afterward and her language finally took off. I'll never forget jumping up and down when she finally asked us a complete question lol. Every child with ASD is completely different though as far as progress they make. Some kids remain non verbal but can find other ways of communicating.
  • chopzgurl05
    chopzgurl05 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    At my sons 3rd birthday he was at a 15-18 month old level with his communication and speech. He also mostly used pointing and grunts.
    About a year later and with very very very intensive speech therapies, special needs schooling and behavior therapy he is at about a 30-36 month old level.
  • pberta
    pberta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My son did not really start using words until he was about 3. He was able to read about the same time and started to build a large vocabulary, but was only using 1 word at a time to tell us what he wanted. He started early intervention when he was 2 and has continued to ABA and extensive speech therapy. He is now 8 and is just starting to initiate a conversation. Give it time and keep up with the therapy.
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My son was non verbal until he was 5. He now can request what he wants but can not share simple experience, or when he is hurt. He was in a verbal behavior program till 4, though. Once he started intensive ABA within 3 moths he starters imitating sounds. I'm not a fan of floor ime, by the way.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My son was non verbal until he was 5. He now can request what he wants but can not share simple experience, or when he is hurt. He was in a verbal behavior program till 4, though. Once he started intensive ABA within 3 moths he starters imitating sounds. I'm not a fan of floor ime, by the way.

I'm not a big fan of Floortime either. We didn't see too many things with it. Why don't you like it? I'm curious.
  • asdandme
    asdandme Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My twin sons are 15 and still nonverbal. They are very facailly expressive and use sign and augmentive devices (computerized pecs that speak) to communicate. It's still a dance two steps forward one step back but they improve and gain new skills constantly. I worry and occasionally cry but all in all I am mostly proud. They work so hard and everything is so difficult for them yet they are always ready with a smile:happy:
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have Autism and was nonverbal until almost age 3. On my 3rd birthday I could speak complete, coherent, complex sentences, and about a month later, I had regressed to non-verbal again. I had speech therapy, and didn't speak properly again until about age 5 1/2. My Mom felt guilty UNTIL I was diagnosed; now she doesn't feel guilt anymore. Autism isn't anyone's fault; it just happens.