NO Str Gains =C

Options
tempest501
tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
Sup Guys,

I have been in the gym now for about 6 months. My strength gains at first were good and as to be expected it has really slowed down. What I was wondering is how often should I see gains in strength now?

I mean on alot of my excercises now I seem to have stagnated on all but two of my excercises which are pull ups and tricep dips/pulldown. I push my self really hard but not gaining now and wonder if this is normal and I just need patience.

I am using 10kg Dumbells and have been stuck on those for Bicep/Hammer Curls for months now.

I was following a 3 sets of 12 regime but I am changing things up a bit now and trying to do 4/5 sets of between 5-8 (focusing on better form and increased weight slightly)

Any advice appreciated

Peace out

Replies

default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you provided enough information to make an informed opinion, but these are the usual suspects (in no paticular order):

Eat more, you need a surplus of calories to build muscle mass

push yourself more, you need to induce stress on your muscles in order to encourage them to grow

you may be overtraining...this is unlikely

focus on compound lifting ie: squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, overhead press etc etc...free weights, not machines

follow 5X5, stronglifts or beginning strength

eat more, lift heavy and put down the bicep curls . you're correct to lower the reps and up the weight, just concentrate on the form, speed and the negative part of the lift.

also, try out bodybuilding.com wannabebig.com ironaddicts.com
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight, lower the reps, and strive for one more rep then last time. When you can do 8 reps, repeat. Kinda sounds like what you just started trying. Keep at it for a bit and see how it works for you.
  • topformfitness
    topformfitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What they said... focus more on the big lifts (pulldowns, rows, leg press, deadlifts, chest press, overhead press, etc). Don't worry so much about what you can bicep curl.

Also vary your main movements every few months to change the stimulus (ie: dumbbells vs. bar, machine vs. free weight, flat bench vs. incline, varied grip, etc.).

I also suggest planning a set-rep progression, ie: start your training cycle at 12 reps with everything, then drop the reps every week or two while adding weight (ie: 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 5 reps... change exercises and repeat). This forces an increase in load.

Keep your workouts short and intense and focus on the basics.

Good luck.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Everything that was said is good.

I just wanted to add that the gains you obtained when you first started strength training won't be something you'll see again unless you either take steroids or quit for a long time and get back into it. But don't let that dissuade you. I'm about a year into strength training, and just recently did a bulking phase where I was able to add a decent amount of size to my chest and arms.

Keep up the effort; eat, and lift big weight.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i don't think eating more will solve the problem, i did that and i gained weight. I just don't think i'm cut out for weightlifting
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There are differences between people, but everyone will get strength gains (to a varying degree based on genetics, nutrition, training) if the training/nutrition regime you're following is correct.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    It seems like it's not going anywhere but you have to look at from a longer time period.

If I compare what I was lifting 2 years ago, I've made decent gains.

After the newbie gain phase, gains come slowly