THE HOBBIT!

Options
2»

Replies

• lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options

And yes, SO happy that songs were included :) It helps make up for the lack of Tom and Goldberry in LOTR. I still always wish I could've seen a Peter Jackson interpretation of their house and songs.

That is one of the main reasons I bare a grudge aginst the LOTR trilogy as Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights was such a brilliant part of the book, I was gutted they got left out! :cry:

They're still 3 of my fave films though!
    Did anyone else ever see the older animated version of The Hobbit?

http://smithreviewsit.blogspot.com/

I've seen the animated LOTR film, but not the hobbit one!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I am a huge Tolkien fan, so much so in fact that I believe it interferes with my enjoyment of the films. I read the books for the first time so long ago, and so many times now since then that I just cannot tolerate the omissions/additions in the plot of the movies.
  • lori_en
    Options
    I am a huge Tolkien fan, so much so in fact that I believe it interferes with my enjoyment of the films. I read the books for the first time so long ago, and so many times now since then that I just cannot tolerate the omissions/additions in the plot of the movies.

Enjoying the films doesn't make anyone less of a Tolkein fan! :smile:

I live and breathe Tolkein, but I can appreciate the movies and the books are two very different entities! :smile:
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Oh definitely different entities, I agree. I wanted so much to love the movies. I was excited when they came out, but they just didn't click for me for whatever reason.
  • lori_en
    Options
    That's a shame!

Guess it's always the way though, just because you love a book, doesn't mean you'll love the movie! :ohwell:
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options

And yes, SO happy that songs were included :) It helps make up for the lack of Tom and Goldberry in LOTR. I still always wish I could've seen a Peter Jackson interpretation of their house and songs.

That is one of the main reasons I bare a grudge aginst the LOTR trilogy as Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights was such a brilliant part of the book, I was gutted they got left out! :cry:

They're still 3 of my fave films though!
    Did anyone else ever see the older animated version of The Hobbit?

http://smithreviewsit.blogspot.com/

I've seen the animated LOTR film, but not the hobbit one!

Stop what you are doing and go out and hunt it down.. It was produced for TV by Rankin and Bass and had a run time of about 70 to 80 minutes... Really good.
  • nbhobbes
    Options

I know what you mean...

I got really pissed when they changed some things in The Hobbit.

I guess Gandalf saying at the beginning of the film "Every story deserves some ebmelishment" was more of a reflection of what Jackson and Co. were gonna do to The Hobbit than anything else.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I went to the midnight movies to see this in 3-D. It was AWESOME!!! Radagasts Rhosgobel rabbits attached to the sleigh cracked me up. :laugh:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I read the book as a kid, tough read. I read it after putting it down, reading the other LOTR books, then going back to it.

I liked the scenery of the new live action movie but I like the 70s animation movie more. But in the animation you have to pretty much already know the storyline.

The new movie, glad they decided to make it a three parter vs. originally only doing a single movie. Smart move. Annoyed at the singing dwarves. THat mojo was not cool.
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    I went to the midnight movies to see this in 3-D. It was AWESOME!!! Radagasts Rhosgobel rabbits attached to the sleigh cracked me up. :laugh:

He was played by Sylvester McCoy who also was Dr. Who.. I think the 7th or 8th Regeneraton.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I watched the movie On Demand last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I reminisced when I read the book as a kid and then as an early adult...it was fun just like the movie...who can't resist an adventure!