The right to bear arms

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm all in favor of increasing mental health services. A $200 tax per gun and $1 per bullet ought to pay for it just fine.

financial punishment for people who own guns is not a realistic solution, either.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

As stated before, drawing the line is the debate. Ultimately, it is a debate that should be based on facts and research. We all have opinions. You are drawing an arbitrary line and saying "it's here". My opinion is that we have not even begun to seriously regulate the sale and ownership of guns in this country--at least not in any effective way. The regulations we have are so full of loopholes and so poorly enforced that they don't represent a "line" as much as a couple of random dots.

first, I'm not drawing a line. I'm saying there has been a line drawn. and moved. you do realize that in the 1960s, I could walk into a store and purchase an AR-15 easy as I please, right? and today I have to have someone at the FBI run a background check. they run my name and prints through the system, checking multiple categories. nine, I believe. if I have been convicted of domestic violence? no gun. alcoholic? no gun. felon? no gun. there's a lengthy list.

does that list need to be enhanced? yes. those with mental illnesses need to be prevented -- as much as possible -- from purchasing weapons. as it stands, they are only flagged if they have been involuntarily committed. (incidentally, there was a plan to do that in regards to keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. but as a result of the 'fast and furious' debacle by this administration, it is now shelved, collecting dust.) fix the nics to include those folks.

I'm also OK with taking a look at restricting mag size for all weapons. The size may vary depending upon the firearm. And maybe there can be a provision that allows for a greater size if the buyer meets stringent guidelines.

I also would approve the closing of the gun show loophole. No reason for it to be like it is now.

I have no idea how to police or enforce, but all owners should be required to safely secure their firearms. possibly proof of a gun safe or other secure place must be shown, just as proof of insurance is shown with cars.

but otherwise? regulations are in place.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are suggesting four improvements, all of which I agree with.

1. Enhance the background check system.
    2. Restrict magazine size.
    3. Close the gun show loophole.
    4. Require safe storage and liability insurance.

All that would be a good place to start. And none of it would be supported by the NRA or their lackeys in Congress.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    the problem is that the vocal fringe on any issue is louder than the center. so all that happens is lots of yelling.

worth pointing out in all of this, though, is that despite the rise in gun sales in recent years, violent crime -- all crime, in fact -- continues to decline.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You know the statistics on the fact that you're more likely to be shot be your own weapon?

No, actually, I am not aware of the statistics that say I'm more like to be shot "be" my own weapon. Actually, I have no idea what your sentence is even supposed to mean--am I aware of that statistic? Or am I aware of it as opposed to something?

Obviously she was referring to statistics like the one from the Harvard School of Public Health that guns in the home "are far more likely to be used in violence, an accident, or a suicide attempt than self defense." It wasn't that hard to understand what she was trying to say.

Source:
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/04/guns-in-the-home-lots-of-risk-ambiguity/

Wasn't obviously to me, since no link was provided to a statistic....which we all know are 100% truthful, meaningful, and always absolute.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    the problem is that the vocal fringe on any issue is louder than the center. so all that happens is lots of yelling.

That's how I feel on this issue. I will never be able to convince a hardcore anti-gun person that guns aren't evil, or that my reasoning for owning weapons is something other than mass murder. Just as they will never be able to convince me of their point. I felt the same before I actually lived in a home with guns, learned to shoot, etc. Then I realized I felt differently about them. Rather than resorting to sounding like that vocal fringe, it's just one of those "agree to disagree" deals.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

That's how I feel on this issue. I will never be able to convince a hardcore anti-gun person that guns aren't evil, or that my reasoning for owning weapons is something other than mass murder. Just as they will never be able to convince me of their point. I felt the same before I actually lived in a home with guns, learned to shoot, etc. Then I realized I felt differently about them. Rather than resorting to sounding like that vocal fringe, it's just one of those "agree to disagree" deals.

The big problem with the national debate, however, is that one side of the "vocal fringe" controls almost the entire discussion and controls a large portion of our lawmakers as well.

If anyone needed any additional evidence that the leadership of the NRA is made up of people who are insane, it was on full display Friday morning. And the NRA exerts a huge influence on the issue of gun regulation and gun use. They have gone from a group that supported the right of an individual to own a gun, to a group that promotes the increased use of guns to kill other human beings.

The public stands of the NRA are not only out of step with the majority of the public, they are out of step with a majority of conservatives and gun owners as well in many cases.

92 % of Americans support background checks--the NRA opposes them and has actively worked to undermine them in states where they exist.

63% of Americans--including majorities of conservatives and gun owners--support an assault weapons ban--the NRA opposes it.

76% of Americans (including 71% of conservatives) support closing the gun show loophole-- the NRA opposes it

64% of Americans (including majorities of conservatives and gun owners) support banning magazines that hold more than 10 bullets-- the NRA opposes it.

IMO to characterize "both sides" as the "vocal fringe" on this issue is a false equivalence of the highest order. There might be individual opinions, but there is no effective, organized "vocal fringe" on the left for this issue.

I think it is clear from even the few comments on this topic, that there is a pretty large area of consensus on things that can be done to at least attempt to reduce deaths from gun violence. And, with study and research, there are other things we could do as well to regulate gun ownership without infringing of the rights of those who wish to own guns for personal protection and hunting. But even the most mild of legislative actions faces a steep uphill battle for the reasons mentioned earlier--because there is only one fringe group that is controlling the issue.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I don't even pay attention to the NRA, to be honest. They all seem like wack-jobs. At least whoever writes the crap they send to our house, and the voicemails they leave on our home phone. I try to ignore them. :tongue: But I see your point--they unfortunately represent a real group of people, however small. I don't know enough about them to know why they oppose background checks, but that alone makes me feel like they're wack-jobs.
    I think it is clear from even the few comments on this topic, that there is a pretty large area of consensus on things that can be done to at least attempt to reduce deaths from gun violence. And, with study and research, there are other things we could do as well to regulate gun ownership without infringing of the rights of those who wish to own guns for personal protection and hunting.

Agreed.:smile:
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are suggesting four improvements, all of which I agree with.

1. Enhance the background check system.
    2. Restrict magazine size.
    3. Close the gun show loophole.
    4. Require safe storage and liability insurance.

All that would be a good place to start. And none of it would be supported by the NRA or their lackeys in Congress.

1. Yes please.
    2. Yes please.
    3. YES YES YES
    4. I agree with the first part. I would need to know more about liability insurance. What are you insuring? Seems to me the cost of insurance would make gun ownership prohibitively too expensive for most people, allowing just the well off to own guns legally. I think most on the left and in the corrections system would love that though.

I do not own a gun but I like that I could purchase one if I wanted to. I have lived in a city, suburbs, and semi-rural areas and have never felt unsafe walking around. Maybe I am just naive.

I wish this gun discussion would just happen rather then being driven by the terrible event in CT. Up until the shooting no one in Washington was willing to bring up guns. It just seems like anti gun groups are exploiting the CT shooting to get what they want.

Off topic...
    The people that want to restrict violent video games seem to be doing the same thing. The shooter happened to play violent video games so that must be why he did what he did. We need to BAN violent video games to prevent school shootings!!! Sometimes bad people do bad things. Sometimes crazy people do crazy things.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Liability insurance makes whole someone damaged by willful or negligent misuse of the gun. The insurance will be prohibitively expensive only if gun ownership has an excessively high risk of damaging others through willfull or negligent misuse. Heck, the NRA sells liability insurance . . . . Although I doubt they support making it mandatory.

NRA endorsed liability insurance: http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/excess.htm
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am not interested in the opinions of non-Americans on the issue of American gun ownership, nor am I interested in the opinions of Americans who can't read. The Second Amendement very clearly says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I'm not sure why we are even discussing this. If more people owned firearms and were sufficiently trained in how to safely use, store, and care for them, there would be fewer gun-related crimes.

I have a concealed carry license. I am armed 99% of the time. Few people are ever aware of that fact. I have never shot or killed or even threatened to shoot or kill anyone. My gun has never "accidentally" discharged. How is it that I have never committed a crime with my gun, since, you know the mere act of having a gun must mean you want to kill someone?

P.S. Guns are not intended solely for killing, humans or animals. Shooting (not hunting) is a sport and a hobby in many parts of the world, including the U.S.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I'm not sure why someone not interested in debate would choose to participate in a group called "Debatable Debating."
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    How is it that I have never committed a crime with my gun, since, you know the mere act of having a gun must mean you want to kill someone?

You are clearly not playing enough violent video games! :smile:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I support the right to arm bears.
    Arm-Bears-Organic-T-Shirt-(1038).jpg
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I am not interested in the opinions of non-Americans on the issue of American gun ownership, nor am I interested in the opinions of Americans who can't read. The Second Amendement very clearly says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I'm not sure why we are even discussing this. If more people owned firearms and were sufficiently trained in how to safely use, store, and care for them, there would be fewer gun-related crimes.

I have a concealed carry license. I am armed 99% of the time. Few people are ever aware of that fact. I have never shot or killed or even threatened to shoot or kill anyone. My gun has never "accidentally" discharged. How is it that I have never committed a crime with my gun, since, you know the mere act of having a gun must mean you want to kill someone?

P.S. Guns are not intended solely for killing, humans or animals. Shooting (not hunting) is a sport and a hobby in many parts of the world, including the U.S.

Tell me what sport/hobby requires you to fire off 45 rounds per minute?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why we are even discussing this.

arent we discussing this because there are lots of people that want a change to the gun laws. even a repeal of the 2nd amendment?

it certainly is worth discussing.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Exactly. We're discussing it because in a democracy, that's how we deal with issues. Free speech, petition the government, freedom of assembly. All those 1st amendment rights that don't get trumped by the 2nd amendment.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Exactly. We're discussing it because in a democracy, that's how we deal with issues. Free speech, petition the government, freedom of assembly. All those 1st amendment rights that don't get trumped by the 2nd amendment.

Well, I'm not sure that Australia (homeland of the OP) is a democracy. They don't even believe in the right to bear arms! :tongue:
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    While I can appreciate the sensitivity of some of our American friends in this group to 'outside' criticism or even comment, particularly given recent events, it is surely the sign of a healthy society when we are willing to at least take time to reflect on the comments of outside observers. Willingness to accept peer group review can only help us to take an objective position.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I refuse to live my life in fear and, therefore, do not feel the need to have a gun.