Weight loss help

I am a vegan. I am about 50 pounds overweight and I have been slightly overweight for most of my life. I really need some help. Ideas on what to do and what to eat. Ive been vegan for about 3 or 4 years, switching to vegetarian a few times. I work a part time job and go to school every day so I tend to eat on the go and dont have too much time for excersize. Any suggestions would be awesome! Vegan hugs*

Replies

• GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    I would suggest using the food diary and logging everything you eat to see if you are eating too much. Even vegans can be overweight (I'm in that boat!). I feel like I eat virtuously and healthfully, but portion sizes are still a problem for me when I'm not paying attention.

Another suggestion is to make sure you're getting in at least 5-7 fruits and veggies per day.

I haven't found in my own weight loss journey that the ratio of carbs/protein mattered very much for how much weight I lose. I normally have about 60 percent carbs, 20 percent protein and 20 percent fat, but sometimes higher carbs.

Walking 30 to 45 minutes a day has also been really helpful to me. Good luck! Send me a friend request if you'd like.
  • sjhaar
    sjhaar Posts: 43 Member
    I would suggest using the food diary and logging everything you eat to see if you are eating too much. Even vegans can be overweight (I'm in that boat!). I feel like I eat virtuously and healthfully, but portion sizes are still a problem for me when I'm not paying attention.

Another suggestion is to make sure you're getting in at least 5-7 fruits and veggies per day.

I haven't found in my own weight loss journey that the ratio of carbs/protein mattered very much for how much weight I lose. I normally have about 60 percent carbs, 20 percent protein and 20 percent fat, but sometimes higher carbs.

Walking 30 to 45 minutes a day has also been really helpful to me. Good luck! Send me a friend request if you'd like.
    Wonderful suggestions! I would also recommend trying the recipes on www.fatfreevegan.com. It's fat free yet she really seems to balance out her recipes nutritionally.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    It would be a great help if you opened your food diary for fellow members to see and log daily (and honestly!). If you'd like me (or anyone else here!) to evaluate your food diary, please let me know. I'm not perfect but I have a pretty decent handle on food and fitness :)

Even when eating healthy options, you have to take into consideration all the other factors involved like portion size and daily activity.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Check out Forks over Knives, Engine 2 diet, Dr. McDougall..all good sound advice for plant based diet.

this may help too.. http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Newsletter/Entries/2012/5/20_A_Common_Sense_Approach_To_Sound_Nutrition.html

When I first read that it was like a light bulb going off for me!