Challenge for you girls! 30days gluten free

Options
Micahroni84
Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
Ive been reading about the connections between gluten sensitivity and PCOS. I did a 30 day gluten free challenge and felt amazing. Recently fell off the wagon and feel like garbage. My fibromyalgia flare ups have been horrible since re introducing gluten, my period was late and i got several cysts on my face. My challenge for you ladies is to eat gluten free for 30 days and feel the difference in your mental and physical health. My sister was recently diagnosed with celiacs and we share some of the same health issues and that is what inspired me to try going gluten free. I don't think i have celiacs but i know for sure now that i have a pretty bad sensitivity to it. I hope you will consider a trial!

Replies

• motivatedshi
    motivatedshi Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @micahroni84, I am not technically going gluten free, however the diet that i am on, requires me to avoid all wheat, barley, oats, and rice, and I agree with you 100% that ever since I have eliminated these things I feel 100 times better! Im starting to have a suspicion that maybe us girls with PCOS also have gluten intolerance .... I recommend people to go along with you challenge to see if it helps with any of PCOS's ugly symptoms.
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    @micahroni84, I am not technically going gluten free, however the diet that i am on, requires me to avoid all wheat, barley, oats, and rice, and I agree with you 100% that ever since I have eliminated these things I feel 100 times better! Im starting to have a suspicion that maybe us girls with PCOS also have gluten intolerance .... I recommend people to go along with you challenge to see if it helps with any of PCOS's ugly symptoms.

Im so happy for you. I was reading an article last night about a nutrionist who tested all of her PCOS clients for gluten allergies and 85% tested positive!
  • biggergirlsrun2
    Options
    I'm game! I started doing mostly gluten free foods in the summer time and felt SO much better!!
    I've let some gluten foods slip back in though lately and I'm definitely feeling the effects.

When does the 30 days officially start?! I'm psyched!
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    I'm game! I started doing mostly gluten free foods in the summer time and felt SO much better!!
    I've let some gluten foods slip back in though lately and I'm definitely feeling the effects.

When does the 30 days officially start?! I'm psyched!

Today!
  • motivatedshi
    Options
    @micahroni, 85% wow! I used to be one of those people who thought being "gluten intolerant" was just a made up thing, but I am soo glad that I kept an open mind, and tried it out. What other type of things usually have gluten in it? Is it only in certain grains?
  • biggergirlsrun2
    Options
    @micahroni, 85% wow! I used to be one of those people who thought being "gluten intolerant" was just a made up thing, but I am soo glad that I kept an open mind, and tried it out. What other type of things usually have gluten in it? Is it only in certain grains?

There's a TON of stuff that has gluten in it. It surprised me when I read up on it- soy sauce, salad dressings, gravies, soups- all of those can potentially have gluten in them!

Here's one list of surprising foods: http://www.fitsugar.com/Surprising-Foods-Contain-Gluten-15163537

The best thing to do is read food labels- normally it will say "gluten-free" or have a GF logo on it somewhere if it's gluten-less. If not, make sure to read the ingredients and look for any ingredients like wheat, wheat germ, yeast, rye, barley, whey.

Here's another good resource: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm265212.htm

Good luck!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey girls
    first of all - biggergirlsru - how comes you say whey has gluten in it? If it's a 100% whey then it's gluten free. But yes it can be in all things that have wheat or other grains in it. And as wheat is cheap it's used in many "refined" foods. I once found it in an ice tea brand...

Second: I had to live a complete gluten - wheat - soy - free diet for almost 10 years. I was so allergic to it, that I even had a reaction when my husband ate it and then kissed me. It's over now. Thanks god!
    It made me feel better when I didn't eat the carbs. And it made me feel bad (in a pco-sense) when i ate carbs and sugar. So for me, I can say it's neither gluten nor wheat by itself but white and sugary carbs that is the problem.

After a year of being happy because I was back to being able to eat everything, I'm now back on restricting sugar and carbs (and wheat) . But I know I can eat it and allow myself a cookie or a little pasta every now and then, but just keep in mind my glucose/insulin levels.

I wish you fun, patience and luck with finding what helps you!
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i am on like day 54 of grain dairy free, i feel amazing! and my periods are better, and i no longer have joint pain, it is the greatest thing i have ever done for my pcos
  • flowerchild88
    Options
    My goal for this year was to try an elimination diet that targets most of the major food allergens. I know I have food sensitivities, I just don't know what is causing the reactions (aside from dairy). Unfortunately I just couldn't maintain the diet, since it was so restrictive. I found myself feeing awful all the time. I'm now trying several mini elimination diets, and the first to go are gluten and soy. After a week, I can't say that I've noticed a huge difference, but I'm willing to give it a few more weeks before I add gluten and soy back in and see if I notice any changes then.

Most people who are part of a health conscious community like this already cut out a lot of refined sugar, but if you haven't, I'd consider it. In addition to the long-term health benefits, I find myself feeling better on a daily basis when I don't consume refined sugar. My body can tolerate things like fruit just fine, and small amounts of high quality honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar cover any other sugary needs.

Good luck, everyone!
  • tklaing
    tklaing Posts: 20
    Options
    I am currently gluten free due to sinus & other issues - I am now on Day 22 :smile:

Question about PCOS:
    I had never really heard about PCOS before, I had heard the term mentioned, but didn't know what it was. However, when I was 20 years old, I had a large cyst removed (along with the ovary that it crushed) they just told me I had endometriosis, is this the same thing ?
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am currently gluten free due to sinus & other issues - I am now on Day 22 :smile:

Question about PCOS:
    I had never really heard about PCOS before, I had heard the term mentioned, but didn't know what it was. However, when I was 20 years old, I had a large cyst removed (along with the ovary that it crushed) they just told me I had endometriosis, is this the same thing ?
    http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for awhile. It does certainly make sense, my PCOS and gluten sensitivity started about the same time.
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    Gluten free is still going great for me! My hair, including my eyebrows and eyelashes has been thinning for years and now im getting in new hair and its thicker and heathier. Im glad to see so many of you benefitting from going GF too. I have to admit i thought GF was a ridiculous fad but its not. Its helped tremendously with my fibromyalgia flare ups too.
  • motivatedshi
    Options
    I have been on low gluten/low amylose diet for over a month now, and before I used to loose a small cats worth of hair everyday, now my hair thank god, my hair loss has almost completely stopped! This is the way to go!
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    I have been on low gluten/low amylose diet for over a month now, and before I used to loose a small cats worth of hair everyday, now my hair thank god, my hair loss has almost completely stopped! This is the way to go!

Yay! Im really excited for you!