Holiday Treats (Good but so Bad)

So I know I wasn't suppose to make a topic until tomorrow, but I got caught in temptation. I mean how can you not, its the holidays!! After being deprived from good home cooked meals while being away from school, I can't help but go overboard. OH the cookies, cakes, and pies all drizzled in chocolates, treats, and goodies -- your mouth can't help but crave them. So yesss shamefully enough I indulged in a cookie *tisk tisk*. BUT HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU AVOID THESE TASTY CALLINGS THAT DO NOTHING FOR YOUR WEIGHT LOSS GOAL.

1. Check the calories: I noticed when I am able to check the calories of my food before I eat it, it helps me make better decisions. If i saw that those cookies would raise my calorie intake by as much as it did, I know that I would have resisted the urge to eat it.

2. Eat before you go: You want to "Pre-game" as if you are going to a party, but instead of liquor its with food. Before you go to social event that you know will have unhealthy food., eat something good and filling so that you are less likely to eat something that you shouldn't when you get there.

3. Distract yourself: When you go to holiday parties and events, try not to focus in on the food that will be there. Try to focusing everything else that the event has to over like talking or dancing. Remember holiday parties and events are not just a food event. Also stand clear on the food table, the closer you are the more likely you will give in to that santa shaped sugar cookie.

4. Small is better: If your aunt makes her famous sweet apple pie that just came out the oven that they are serving with a scoop of fresh vanilla ice cream and you just HAVEEEEE to have a pie. GO SMALL. Its okay to treat yourself even once in a while. But be mindful! Get just a FEW bits just to satisfy that good ol' sweet tooth but enough to ruin to eating habits for the day.

5. Get a small plate: Using smaller plates have been shown to help people eat less. So when making your plate, try to get the smallest plate possible to avoid loading your plate with unwanted food.

I hope these tips help you get through the next few days as the sweets arrive everywhere. I know I need them tomorrow while my internship is having a Christmas party! OH HELP ME!

***GET INVOLVED WITH THIS POST***

What are some of your favorite holiday treats and how have or plan to avoid them during your weight loss journey?

Replies

• MoonSapphire
    MoonSapphire Posts: 57 Member
    I LOVE to bake, I could spend all day baking cookies, cakes, cupcakes and treats. My early christmas gift was a Kitchen-Aid mixer that I got last month. =D and I have used it so much so far making treats, saying that, I'm not much of a sweet eater I guess its because I'm always cooking it lol also my teeth are super sensitive to sweets :(

I have tons of recipes, I am going to look through them and see if I have some healthy treats and I will post any I find =D
  • OlyOtis
    OlyOtis Posts: 70 Member
    Lucky for me treats aren't an issue. Not a big fan of sweets. What gets me are all the holiday carbs from things like mashed potatoes and gravy. yummmmmm
  • MoonSapphire
    MoonSapphire Posts: 57 Member
    Lucky for me treats aren't an issue. Not a big fan of sweets. What gets me are all the holiday carbs from things like mashed potatoes and gravy. yummmmmm

I love mashed potatoes :love: and bread (rolls, french bread, soughdough sweet rolls, really any kind lol) its not just the holidays though, its all the time. I really have to watch or I'll eat a ton of carbs
  • I do not really have an issue with sweets either it is just mainly the other foods like mashed taters and gravy, green bean casserole, and HAM!!! I love HAM!!! oh and can't for get the wine!!! I am such a wine drinker.
  • kyrious87
    kyrious87 Posts: 26 Member
    I have a MASSIVE sweet tooth... My mom used to be a cake decorator so as a kid, I always had baked goods around... Baking actually helps me a lot. If I bake it, I usually don't eat it. I like seeing everyone else enjoy what I make more than I would enjoy it if eating it... I work with a ton of guys and they LOVE that I bake all the time... My boyfriend hates it, haha...