A Doubtful and Unbelieving Mind: Chapter 11

Options
Simple6
Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
Hello My Lovely Ladies :heart: ,

This week focuses our attention on the the difference between doubt and unbelief. It is so important for me to understand what they are so I can recognize when they are operating in my life.

Joyce's definition from the Vines Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words:

DOUBT: To stand in two ways....implying uncertainty which way to take,....said of believers whose faith is small....being anxious, through a distracted state of mind, of wavering between hope and fear.

UNBELIEF: Disobedience

Dictionary.com:

DOUBT: to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe; to distrust; to fear; be apprehensive about.

UNBELIEF: not believing; incredulity or skepticism,

I tend to lump these two systems of thought together. However, as I am reading this, I am understanding that they are very distinct in themselves yet they partner together perfectly to create separation between me and God.

Joyce writes, "Doubt comes in the form of thoughts that are in opposition to the Word of God." When I read this, I thought, 'WOW! My mind is constantly bombarded all day with thoughts that are in opposition to the Word of God." Recently, I was at school working, when another Para was sharing her fear over the fact that all the other schools around us were closing because of death threats but ours was still undecided. I had not known this was going on. Immediately, my understanding went to fear and panic. Especially because of the recent incident in Newtown CT. My understanding did not go to all the scriptures I know about God protecting us and watching over us. God's plan for good, didn't even enter my mind. Unbelief was running wild in my thoughts. My emotions were so out of control. That is when the Holy Spirit stepped in and blew the whistle for a Holy Spirit time out. I repented for leaning to my own understanding and asked the Lord for help. Every minute of me living here in ND is about me learning to stop and ask the Lord for His perspective on whatever I am facing or feeling. Once I was reminded of this, I did so. Immediately, God's word came into my heart for this situation. At this point, I could have chosen to doubt, which is usually my normal response. You know, "But God....." statements that mean, "I want you God to explain this to me, to my satisfaction and understanding." But, I am learning to focus on His truth which is His word for my life, period! No matter how many more questions I have. So I anchored my emotions to Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my Light and my Salvation—whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?" The dark situation I was facing, the possible murder of myself or my natural children or the children of my school became lighter as I focused on His word. The Lord is my refuge and the stronghold of my life, meaning that fear was not my mode of operation for this situation but my mode was faith that I could take refuge for my lack of understanding(panic, fear, unbelief and doubt) and be saved. I would not act in doubt, being double minded, thinking thoughts, like, "What if....doom, death, destruction.." I would focus on the truth. "Of whom shall I be afraid?" There is no one or nothing that can conquer the stronghold of God. That's where I am learning to stand.

I love that Joyce pointed out that Abraham kept his mind and conversation on God. She also wrote, "You and I a can be aware of our circumstances and yet, purposely, keep our minds on something that will build us up and edify our faith." This simple thing seems so easy, but I find it very challengingly. Especially, when people around me are operating in doubt, fear and unbelief and speaking those things to me continually. This is where I am learning to guard my heart by reinforcing what I know He has spoken to me, either by saying it to myself again or speaking it our to others. My mind is transforming from a doubtful and unbelieving mind to a faith filled, believing mind. This is God's plan for me and for you. Doubtful thoughts may rise up, but we will chose to lay them down at the cross and leave them there. God has given us His measure of faith. We will be women of great faith, having belief that is played out in action in our lives. We will be like the Centurion soldier who understood that when Jesus spoke the word, it was done and his servant was healed. We understand that when we receive the Word of the Lord it is done(Matt 8:5-13).

Our lives are being transformed by the renewing of our minds, not because of us, but because of His power. He reveals His word to us and it changes us. He is author and finisher of our faith. He has made provision for our minds to no longer be doubtful and unbelieving but faith filled and able to believe what He says. Our God is so awesome!

Replies

• right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Doubt and Unbelief.

How exciting is this chapter on Doubt and Unbelief! True, it is a very difficult and challenging aspect of our religious practices, doubting what validates our belief in God. I say it that way, because it is an “action”, a “practice”. Most all foundations, denominations, cults, secular and non-sec, governing-body of thoughts (think tanks) will require an “unwavering choice”. But the Living God is none of these. Why do we confine Jesus in our thoughts? Why do we restrict a Living God to time…when He created time? Why do make allowances for other influences?

If you can look long enough at Nature…the simple beauty of a leaf to the majestic grandeur of the Grand Canyon or peer up to view the night sky filled with stars…Nature…holds no stress. It transcends and holds a special purpose…God’s. Abraham was able to rest assured in the promise that he would be the “father of many nations”. How could Abraham believe this at such an old age? Again, we can not restrict a Living God to time. Abraham understood. But Sarah laughed when she overheard the messenger…because she only looked at the natural aspect…God brought them both into the supernatural - where He operates.

In this lesson we see a very important KEY to how we as believers, as women and men can step forward to the supernatural walk with God. It is found in the character of Abraham during the time that he waited for God to fulfill the promise. Let’s step through Romans 4:18-21.

Hope in faith, when faith is gone.
    Do not weaken in faith at the obvious (natural reasoning).
    Grow strong and empowered by faith as you give praise and glory to God.
    Do not distrust God.
    Be fully satisfied in God.
    Be assured that God is able and mighty to keep His word.
    God will fulfill His promise. It will happen in His time, His way and His truth.

Hope is the conqueror of Doubt. Faith will vanquish Unbelief. Abraham HOPED IN FAITH. Hope in faith…it is the single most important key to walk in the promises of our Heavenly Father, the Living God and our Savior Jesus by the power of the Comforter, Holy Spirit who teaches and guides us with the Word of God. :heart:
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Jenni, as I read through this tonight (at work....LOL) Your sentence "Every minute of me living here in ND is about me learning to stop and ask the Lord for His perspective on whatever I am facing or feeling." reminded me so much of my years in PA. Of course I was happy to be there because I was with Teddy, but I felt alone. His family was there, but AAAAALLL my people were in TX so I was completely isolated from the life I had always known and its comforts (and traps). In hind site I can see that was God's plan-to isolate me....to draw me closer to Him....to bring me to my knees at the realization of who HE was and how He wanted me to be HIS!! My involvement in AA gave me a Higher Power, but I didn't KNOW Jesus. Everything I had ever known I had left in TX. Alcoholics Anonymous is world wide so God used it to give a spiritual base to take with me-something to give me strength away from Teddy so I wasn't completely dependent on him for who I was. When Jesus revealed Himself to me it was like my sobriety took on a completely new depth!! After 12 years I finally came to a point of surrendering to God's Will. I remember praying and saying, "well, dude, You obviously have me in PA for a reason so I am ready and willing to do and be whatever it is You want from me for as long as You want me to live here." I started taking meetings to the women's prison and got what's called a home AA group (kinda like a home church.....accountability) and for the first time actually felt content and happy to not be in TX. The funny thing about complete surrender to God's will is that I can not fool God into believing I am content in my circumstance or that I have surrendered to His will because He knows my heart. Teddy's mom died from untreated colon cancer a short time later and one night when we were talking Teddy just out of the blue says,"you know, we ought to think about moving to TX." I almost fell over!!!! What I learned in that moment is that when I completely surrender to God's will, whatever it is, He gives me the desires of my heart!! Now, I would love to be able to say that I do that on a regular basis, but I do not. I often try to convince myeslf I am content when I really am not anywhere close to it. But I remember the feeling I had when I realized that everything that had been choreographed over the previous 13 years was perfectly timed for His plan for me.

All this to tie in with the doubt and unbelief: I doubted that I was in PA for any reason other than to be married to Teddy. We lived there because Teddy was able to provide for us there. I was in unbelief that God had a plan that was perfect.....the only thing that was holding His plan up was my not submitting to that plan!!! Wow, wow, wow!!!

How I wish I could bottle that feeling up and sell it-I would be a gazillion-aire!!!!

Happy after Jesus' Birthday and almost New Year, Sisters!!!
    Christine:love::love: :love:
  • Simple6
    Options
    Doubt and Unbelief.

How exciting is this chapter on Doubt and Unbelief! True, it is a very difficult and challenging aspect of our religious practices, doubting what validates our belief in God. I say it that way, because it is an “action”, a “practice”. Most all foundations, denominations, cults, secular and non-sec, governing-body of thoughts (think tanks) will require an “unwavering choice”. But the Living God is none of these. Why do we confine Jesus in our thoughts? Why do we restrict a Living God to time…when He created time? Why do make allowances for other influences?

If you can look long enough at Nature…the simple beauty of a leaf to the majestic grandeur of the Grand Canyon or peer up to view the night sky filled with stars…Nature…holds no stress. It transcends and holds a special purpose…God’s. Abraham was able to rest assured in the promise that he would be the “father of many nations”. How could Abraham believe this at such an old age? Again, we can not restrict a Living God to time. Abraham understood. But Sarah laughed when she overheard the messenger…because she only looked at the natural aspect…God brought them both into the supernatural - where He operates.

In this lesson we see a very important KEY to how we as believers, as women and men can step forward to the supernatural walk with God. It is found in the character of Abraham during the time that he waited for God to fulfill the promise. Let’s step through Romans 4:18-21.

Hope in faith, when faith is gone.
    Do not weaken in faith at the obvious (natural reasoning).
    Grow strong and empowered by faith as you give praise and glory to God.
    Do not distrust God.
    Be fully satisfied in God.
    Be assured that God is able and mighty to keep His word.
    God will fulfill His promise. It will happen in His time, His way and His truth.

Hope is the conqueror of Doubt. Faith will vanquish Unbelief. Abraham HOPED IN FAITH. Hope in faith…it is the single most important key to walk in the promises of our Heavenly Father, the Living God and our Savior Jesus by the power of the Comforter, Holy Spirit who teaches and guides us with the Word of God. :heart:

Zoey,

Again, your words are just what I needed to hear. I love the questions you asked. "Why do we confine Jesus in our thoughts? Why do we restrict a Living God to time…when He created time? Why do we make allowances for other influences?" I am learning to approach situations with this thought, "God's perspective is outside of my ability, skill, need and knowledge. So ALL things are possible in and through Him." I purposely try to imagine the most crazy answer to my prayer that I could imagine. I am learning to prepare my imagination for His faith to burst forth. I can't understand, visualize, create but He can and does and will. He helps me. He is so amazing. I am stealing a line from Alice in wonderland...."“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” God is amazingly creative and I want to believe in faith for His Supernatural creative answers to my situation. However, I often trip over my mind. Yet, just like you pointed out, God brought Abraham and Sarah into the supernatural......that is where He is bringing us. For it is totally supernatural to be in His presence. Oh my friend. I cherish you. Your insight is divinely instructed by Him. Let us be His ladies of the Supernatural....able to believe in spite of what we see, what we feel and what we know. Ladies of faith and hope!
  • Simple6
    Options
    Jenni, as I read through this tonight (at work....LOL) Your sentence "Every minute of me living here in ND is about me learning to stop and ask the Lord for His perspective on whatever I am facing or feeling." reminded me so much of my years in PA. Of course I was happy to be there because I was with Teddy, but I felt alone. His family was there, but AAAAALLL my people were in TX so I was completely isolated from the life I had always known and its comforts (and traps). In hind site I can see that was God's plan-to isolate me....to draw me closer to Him....to bring me to my knees at the realization of who HE was and how He wanted me to be HIS!! My involvement in AA gave me a Higher Power, but I didn't KNOW Jesus. Everything I had ever known I had left in TX. Alcoholics Anonymous is world wide so God used it to give a spiritual base to take with me-something to give me strength away from Teddy so I wasn't completely dependent on him for who I was. When Jesus revealed Himself to me it was like my sobriety took on a completely new depth!! After 12 years I finally came to a point of surrendering to God's Will. I remember praying and saying, "well, dude, You obviously have me in PA for a reason so I am ready and willing to do and be whatever it is You want from me for as long as You want me to live here." I started taking meetings to the women's prison and got what's called a home AA group (kinda like a home church.....accountability) and for the first time actually felt content and happy to not be in TX. The funny thing about complete surrender to God's will is that I can not fool God into believing I am content in my circumstance or that I have surrendered to His will because He knows my heart. Teddy's mom died from untreated colon cancer a short time later and one night when we were talking Teddy just out of the blue says,"you know, we ought to think about moving to TX." I almost fell over!!!! What I learned in that moment is that when I completely surrender to God's will, whatever it is, He gives me the desires of my heart!! Now, I would love to be able to say that I do that on a regular basis, but I do not. I often try to convince myeslf I am content when I really am not anywhere close to it. But I remember the feeling I had when I realized that everything that had been choreographed over the previous 13 years was perfectly timed for His plan for me.

All this to tie in with the doubt and unbelief: I doubted that I was in PA for any reason other than to be married to Teddy. We lived there because Teddy was able to provide for us there. I was in unbelief that God had a plan that was perfect.....the only thing that was holding His plan up was my not submitting to that plan!!! Wow, wow, wow!!!

How I wish I could bottle that feeling up and sell it-I would be a gazillion-aire!!!!

Happy after Jesus' Birthday and almost New Year, Sisters!!!
    Christine:love::love: :love:

Christine,

Thank you so much for writing this. For helping me to remember to submit to the Lord and believe. This is my season to learn this. Your experience encourages me to focus on Him.....yes, He really does have a perfect plan for this time and this season in my life. It is just like you wrote, " The funny thing about complete surrender to God's will is that I can not fool God into believing I am content in my circumstance or that I have surrendered to His will because He knows my heart." I love that God always knows my heart. He knows my doubt and my unbelief and still loves me and helps me. I wonder how Jesus dealt with being here on earth, did He long for heaven? He also knows the measure of faith He has given me and is helping me to learn to activate it. Funny thing about faith....well not actually funny, it requires situations that are only God possible. This is true in my life. I am learning that for this season He has called me here. Here is where He is. His presence is the key to learning to have a content heart here for me. I am learning to trust Him now, for where I am. To believe He can, in spite of my limitations. My ability, my skills or lack thereof, does not determine His plan or His power. I submit just like my faithful friend, Christine. He knows my heart. :love: