Mechwarrior Online?

Options
Anyone play? It's KILLER! LOVING IT! Add me if you do, ContingencyPlan =) My only ride so far is a Hunchback HBK-4SP but it's done me good so far.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Does it have the designs that were borrowed from Harmony Gold? I always liked those.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    No but hopefully they will add them. You should try out the game, man.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    I'll check it out when I have a chance. Haven't played btech in a long time, but I loved the game.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    It's true to the MW playstyle.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Seriously you guys should try the game =) Free to play and fun.
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Is it out of beta yet? I put in a lot of hours into it a while back and heard they had quite a large update this past month.

I'd be up to trying it out again. I think I have a srm tank at the moment.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    it's not out of beta yet but there have been numerous improvements. yes there was a large update.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Bumping this old post of mine to see if anyone plays. Been having a blast and joined a clan. Well, I supposed "clan" isn't the right use of the word in this game. It's out of beta now.
  • KendleX
    Options
    Have they come out with the new Mech bay UI?
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    No that is supposed to come after new year
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    Yeah, been playing since August. Went all in...got the Phoenix Overlord package, and the Saber Reinforcement mechs should be dropping in a couple weeks as well. I'm up to 24 mechs now, loving the game. Haven't played it as much the past few weeks because new consoles, but I still hop in for a few matches and I'm sure I'll be working the Wolverine and Griffin when they drop on the 15th.

But yeah, hit me up...I'm StarGeezer there as well. :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Are you guys putting money into it? I think I was running around in a Jenner and couldn't figure out how to get out of it/improve.

I was also mostly getting slagged. I felt like many of the battles were noobs against experienced players and were just slaughters. The only time I did damage was when I snuck up the side of the map and lit up two guys from behind after they ran past me.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Are you guys putting money into it? I think I was running around in a Jenner and couldn't figure out how to get out of it/improve.

I was also mostly getting slagged. I felt like many of the battles were noobs against experienced players and were just slaughters. The only time I did damage was when I snuck up the side of the map and lit up two guys from behind after they ran past me.

I have put some money into it but it's not necessary. Some of my best matches have been in mechs available through c-bills. In fact I have a video on my youtube channel of me absolutely dominating in one.

Light mechs like the Jenner require a lot of skill to pilot correctly and are not very beginner friendly. You need to get all the unlocks for them in order to not be helpless and heavily customize your build. Generally speaking if you're new to the game, it's best to go with a medium or heavy mech because you can't "learn" the game in a light or assault. There's too much investment in modifications and upgrades needed to make them viable and the amount of skill needed to not die in a fire is pretty high. If you're new to the game, your best "learning" platform is the Centurion, Hunchback, or Orion. They're good all-around mechs in that they are fairly cheap to build up (they don't require XL engine upgrades to kick *kitten*, which is a must for MANY mechs and is stupidly expensive), and they can do equally well in close range encounters or long range with the right fit.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    this sounds like something I might like, i'll check it out.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Last one I played was the Ghost-bear expansion for MW:2. God, what I would give to have a Kodiak mech during rush hour...
  • StarGeezer
    Options

I have "hero" mechs (the ones you buy for cash), but to be honest my favorites are ones I've earned through C-Bills. The Catapult K2 is a beast, and is my go-to platform.

Light mechs (and their pilots) are a special breed. They rely on speed and guile to succeed. They are definitely not a beginner's choice if you can help it. Centurions, Hunchbacks, and the newer Shadowhawks are pretty decent, low-cost platforms to start with. They're pretty durable for their weight class, relatively cheap to buy and upgrade, and can put out some decent damage.

No matter what you're in, you can't wade into combat gunslinger-style and not expect to be dropped pretty quick. I've seen 100-ton Atlases turned into smoking heaps in a matter of seconds for overextending too far and being focused fired down. MWO is a non-traditional shooter insofar as there really isn't much opportunity for one-man shows. It is truly a team game, even with PUGs.

One thing I always tell newer pilots to do: go into the Training Grounds, and practice running around there. You won't be fired on, and you have static mechs to target-practice on. Work on running at high speed, torso-twisting, aiming and firing on the run, etc. Time invested in here will pay dividends once you drop in real matches. When I first started playing, I easily spent as much (or more) time in the Training Grounds as I did in actual drops. And to develop skill and muscle-memory, it easily took me around a month of practice (and often dying in spectacular, flamey fashion) before everything started to gel. Just give yourself some time, and put your butt in something other than a light mech for some survivability. :)
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I have "hero" mechs (the ones you buy for cash), but to be honest my favorites are ones I've earned through C-Bills. The Catapult K2 is a beast, and is my go-to platform.

Light mechs (and their pilots) are a special breed. They rely on speed and guile to succeed. They are definitely not a beginner's choice if you can help it. Centurions, Hunchbacks, and the newer Shadowhawks are pretty decent, low-cost platforms to start with. They're pretty durable for their weight class, relatively cheap to buy and upgrade, and can put out some decent damage.

No matter what you're in, you can't wade into combat gunslinger-style and not expect to be dropped pretty quick. I've seen 100-ton Atlases turned into smoking heaps in a matter of seconds for overextending too far and being focused fired down. MWO is a non-traditional shooter insofar as there really isn't much opportunity for one-man shows. It is truly a team game, even with PUGs.

One thing I always tell newer pilots to do: go into the Training Grounds, and practice running around there. You won't be fired on, and you have static mechs to target-practice on. Work on running at high speed, torso-twisting, aiming and firing on the run, etc. Time invested in here will pay dividends once you drop in real matches. When I first started playing, I easily spent as much (or more) time in the Training Grounds as I did in actual drops. And to develop skill and muscle-memory, it easily took me around a month of practice (and often dying in spectacular, flamey fashion) before everything started to gel. Just give yourself some time, and put your butt in something other than a light mech for some survivability. :)

I'm a fan of some of the "hero" mechs myself, but the only ones I would say really offer a significant advantage over their c-bill acquired counterparts are the Ilya Muromets, Jester, and Misery. I have the Ilya, Jester, Yen-Lo-Wang, Dragon Slayer, Heavy Metal, X-5, and Firebrand. Despite all of that, my best performing mechs statistically are two of the Hunchback variants and the Highlander 733-C, which are acquired in-game without real money.

Yes, light mechs are not beginner-friendly. I wouldn't say Shadowhawks are in the same class as the Hunchback and Centurion because most of the viable builds for it require upgrading to an XL engine, which places the cost way higher. Hunchback and Centurion builds favor cheaper STD engines. Another really good one is the Orion because it's a great all rounder that favors STD engines over XL.
  • KendleX
    Options
    I got an email giving me a code for 7 days of free premium time. I assume you all did also. I'll be playing a lot this weekend. ;) Time to pull out my trusty old Dakka Dakka tri UAC5 annoyer.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I got an email giving me a code for 7 days of free premium time. I assume you all did also. I'll be playing a lot this weekend. ;) Time to pull out my trusty old Dakka Dakka tri UAC5 annoyer.

Oh definitely =)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I have put some money into it but it's not necessary. Some of my best matches have been in mechs available through c-bills. In fact I have a video on my youtube channel of me absolutely dominating in one.

Light mechs like the Jenner require a lot of skill to pilot correctly and are not very beginner friendly. You need to get all the unlocks for them in order to not be helpless and heavily customize your build. Generally speaking if you're new to the game, it's best to go with a medium or heavy mech because you can't "learn" the game in a light or assault. There's too much investment in modifications and upgrades needed to make them viable and the amount of skill needed to not die in a fire is pretty high. If you're new to the game, your best "learning" platform is the Centurion, Hunchback, or Orion. They're good all-around mechs in that they are fairly cheap to build up (they don't require XL engine upgrades to kick *kitten*, which is a must for MANY mechs and is stupidly expensive), and they can do equally well in close range encounters or long range with the right fit.

Cool, I will check this out and look up your videos. I might have been playing a VERY early build of the game that limited what I could do. Will also hit you up for some build tips once I get back into it. I'll be away from my desktop next week but right before New Years I should have some time to play.

I loved the old PC games, hoping these are reasonably close to those.