Paces

Options
mmk137
mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
Does anyone know how one becomes a pace runner?

I'm interested in being a pace runner for a half marathon. I've emailed the event that I'm interested in being a pacer for, but also want to know if there is anything I should else I should find out.

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Wondered the same thing myself. Certainly you have to be good at pacing :) and maybe at running 13.1 with a stick in your hand
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Start by emailing some race directors and also check with anyone you know who is currently doing some pacing. Around here it all depends on the on the race, as some of them look to the local running clubs to fill their pacing needs.

You should pick a pace that you can run "in your sleep." Somebody with a PR of 1:47 (for example) probably shouldn't be pacing a 1:50 group. Leading a 2:00 or 2:10 group off that PR would make more sense.

Good luck!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Start by emailing some race directors and also check with anyone you know who is currently doing some pacing. Around here it all depends on the on the race, as some of them look to the local running clubs to fill their pacing needs.

You should pick a pace that you can run "in your sleep." Somebody with a PR of 1:47 (for example) probably shouldn't be pacing a 1:50 group. Leading a 2:00 or 2:10 group off that PR would make more sense.

Good luck!

I've already emailed the one I'm interested in,

and yes it would be a slower but steady pace for me.

But thanks for the advice.