Books for January 2013

Options
tammihart
tammihart Posts: 963 Member
I have decided to start doing this a little different. I am going to do monthly books. I will give 2 options you can choose one or read both. I will pick them out at the end of each month. Please add any ideas to the 2013 suggestions thread. I have put them all in a jar to blind pick. I will add new suggestions to the jar.

January

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Goodreads-
As a child, Kathy–now thirty-one years old–lived at Hailsham, a private school in the scenic English countryside where the children were sheltered from the outside world, brought up to believe that they were special and that their well-being was crucial not only for themselves but for the society they would eventually enter. Kathy had long ago put this idyllic past behind her, but when two of her Hailsham friends come back into her life, she stops resisting the pull of memory.

Dreamland - Sarah Dessen

Goodreads-
Ever since she started going out with Rogerson Biscoe, Caitlin seems to have fallen into a semiconscious dreamland where nothing is quite real. Rogerson is different from anyone Caitlin has ever known. He's magnetic. He's compelling. He's dangerous. Being with him makes Caitlin forget about everything else--her missing sister, her withdrawn mother, her lackluster life. But what happens when being with Rogerson becomes a larger problem than being without him?

Replies

• eriktice
    eriktice Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Never Let Me Go sounds interesting to me.
    Sounds like a suspense thriller.

On the other hand, I don't know if I'll read Dreamland.
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of doing it monthly -- makes it a little easier for me to keep on track. I'll read Dreamland -- I think its a YA book & I might have been the one to recommend it? So, hopefully it'll be decent. If time permits I'll try reading the other one too since I've already finished this month's library book club book.
  • tammihart
    Options
    I am still waiting for Never Let Me Go from the library. I got a Nook for Christmas and I am waiting for the Ebook. I did receive a few books for Christmas so I think I will start one of those while I wait.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I got Never Let Me Go from the library last week and finished it a few days ago. (yes, I devour new books like a starving man at a feast, lol) I won't get into any spoilers here, since I'm sure most haven't had a chance to start it yet. But I will say that I did enjoy the book, but it wasn't at all what I expected. There were some parts that seemed to drag on however. I'm glad I read it, but I'm not sure if I'll go ahead and buy it (I'm an avid re-reader). I'm interested in talking about it at the end of the month though, hope I remember the details!
  • tammihart
    Options
    I finally got Never Let Me Go. I am having a hard time getting into it. It might be because I am only reading it at night and I am tired and can't get much read before I fall asleep.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for a book club. This might be the perfect fit because of busy schedules... Has anyone started reading Dreamland? I'm currently reading Child 44, but I will be done with it probably tomorrow. I'm an ereader. I love holding real books and turning the pages, but it's just so convenient to use my iPad since I always have it with me.

Thanks for this club!

Katie
  • tammihart
    Options
    Finally finished Never Let Me Go. It was good but a slow read for me, not sure why?
  • cds2001
    Options
    I'm behind!! I'll start Dreamland tonight. Hopefully won't take long to get through it.
  • eriktice
    eriktice Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I just finished Never Let Me Go. I was in three parts. The first part was the time spent in Hailshame, the second part was the cottages and the final part was being a carer and/or donor.

It was an interesting book but it took a long time to get through the first part. The final two parts I finished in a couple of nights.
  • cds2001
    Options
    I've been so slack. I'm about halfway through with Dreamland. What I've read so far is pretty good. I'll let you know when I'm done. By end of March I hope to be caught up with both of my book clubs!
  • cds2001
    Options
    My slack self FINALLY got around to finishing this book. Not sure why it took me so long. I thought it was pretty good as far as the story line. It did seem to go slow and then all of a sudden take off out of no where starting the first time he hit her.

My only complaint with this book was that there were so many mistakes that the editor missed. Not sure if I noticed it during the first half of the book when I read it back in February. But this week when finishing it was ridiculous. The wrong verb tense was used several times and there was one sentence that 2 of the words were in the wrong order.

Can't remember the sentence. But here's an example using the previous sentence.

Can't the remember sentence. Very annoying and distracting for me when reading. I don't think I've read a single book in the past year that didn't have some kind of mistake like that. Maybe I should have been an editor.