January Challenge: Poll

Options
Here are the choices for the January Challenge, which will start on January 1st. Additions to the Book Suggestions thread are still welcome; please also offer some insight why you think a proposed book would be a good read.

Reminder - Voting can be for either Fiction or Non-Fiction. Thanks.

Fiction
1) "AMPED" by Daniel H. Wilson
2) "The Uninvited" by Tim Wynne-Jones
3) "Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling
4) "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell
5) "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
6) "The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman
7) "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair
8) "Homer & Langley" by E.L. Doctorow
9) "The Art Forger" by B. A. Shapiro
10) "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore" by Robin Sloan
11) "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.

Non-Fiction
1) "The Violinist's Thumb" by Sam Kean
2) "Hallucinations" by Oliver Sacks
3) "The Joy of X" by Steven Strogatz
4) "Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All American Meal" by Eric Schlosser
5) "Ghosty Men: An Urban Historical" by Frank Lidz
6) "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain
7) "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln" by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ...and I am keeping my mouth shut about my pick until the very end. :P
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    OK. I read about all of these books on Amazon. There were a few standouts for me. Here are the ones I rated the highest:

Fiction

The Art Forger - a mystery with twists and turns and you learn about painting and art forgery. A light, enjoyable read, well rated on Amazon

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore - an adventure story full of excitement, but no combat. there's global conspiracy, code breaking and I think some temporal shifts. Well rated on Amazon.

Non-Fiction

Team of Rivals - The political genius of Lincoln - a character study of Abe with lots of rich detail from the time. It talks about his leadership style and how he gets along with people. Also well rated on Amazon.

These books all seemed to have something adventurous or interesting to say. Many of the other books were about sorrow, cruelty, pain, or food (please, don't make me read about food! I read so I can FORGET about food). I don't want to get depressed when I read, I want to be uplifted. Some of the other books met this criteria for me, too, but the 3 above received 5 stars from me. OK, now let's negotiate!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    *crickets* I wish this group was more active; I think it has about 30 members but only 3 of us are active. :sad: OK. Rant over.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Votes:
    2.) "Hallucinations" by Oliver Sacks

OR

7.) "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair

Can I recommend another one to be added to the list...? The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks sounds like it would be a fascinating read and would lead to great discussions here at MFP.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Where do I vote? I vote for 3 fiction and 4 non fiction

#6 non fiction looks good too
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options
    lenoresaari - So that would work out to the following books. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

"Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling

"Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All American Meal" by Eric Schlosser

"Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hallucinations or Cloud Atlas!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Read reviews of books and I would like to read either :

#10 Mr Penumbra's 240Hour Bookstore ...Love bookstores and live in the bay area.

or #9 The Art Forger. Just sounds like a good story.

In Non-fiction - Team of Rivals - just began reading this book. Really well written and author Goodwin makes history read like a novel
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options
    Yay! It is good to see some more feedback. :)

Here are the results so far. Where multiple picks were given, I just gave a vote to each.

Votes:

3 "Hallucinations"

3 "Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore"

2 "The Art Forger"

2 "Team of Rivals"

1 "The Jungle"

1 "Casual Vacancy"

1 "Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All American Meal"

1 "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking"

1 "Cloud Atlas"
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I vote for Mr. Prenumbra's. Sorry I'm a bit delayed in responding...my family didn't celebrate the holiday until late this week so everything has been kind of out-of-whack.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options
    I vote for Mr. Prenumbra's. Sorry I'm a bit delayed in responding...my family didn't celebrate the holiday until late this week so everything has been kind of out-of-whack.

No problem. I will add your vote to the tally right now. :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options
    No other votes?? So far we have a tie.

3 "Hallucinations"

3 "Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore"

If the tie is not broken by tomorrow morning, I am just going to flip a coin. :)
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh, the suspense! I'm excited to head over to the bookstore tomorrow either way. :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options
    Doh! I just realized that I still hadn't voted yet, because I was waiting until the end. So, I think I will go for Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore, which makes it the number one choice, unless new votes change things. The technology aspects of it appeal to the geek in me.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Doh! I just realized that I still hadn't voted yet, because I was waiting until the end. So, I think I will go for Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore, which makes it the number one choice, unless new votes change things. The technology aspects of it appeal to the geek in me.

I also vote for Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore" .

:)