Second Chances?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
Do you believe in giving an ex a second chance? I am sure for some, it probably depends on what they did to become an ex...but in general--some have steadfast "no second chance" rule....I am the opposite--with the exception of two (the only 2 that I did the breaking up with) I have been asked to date again--my ex husband -we were on our 3rd go round when we got engaged. Should have learned...

Anyway, curious on how others feel about second chances in love?

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    No. I feel that if it didn't work the first time, it's over, and I'm moving on. I've never gotten back/given second chances to any of my ex's and I don't have any regrets.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    My ex came back around early in the summer, I posted in here about it... everyone said leave it alone, I didn't listen... they were right!!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Hmmm no ,nope not gonna happen. You borke up for a reason and unless that reason has magically disappeared then nothing has changed
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're right, it depends on the reason you broke up. As long as you're getting back on the basis that the reason has been resolved, then I dont see why not. You're in love with this guy? You already know his strengths and weaknesses? You accept him for the person he is?

Just dont get back with anyone with the hope they will change! :flowerforyou:
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It takes me a long, long time to be finished with someone, partner, friend, family member etc. But when I finally get there...all the possible love and respect is gone, along with patience and ability to forgive and forget. I am trying to be friends with my current ex...but other than that have not even maintained friendships. I couldn't do second chances.

Life is too short for love to be so hard.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Exes are exes for a reason.

Mostly everything ends badly, otherwise it would not end.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I agree that exes are exes for a reason. It also takes me a long time to come to that decision because I don't want to make the decision in haste. Once I decide it's time to walk out of a relationship, it's reached the point of no return. If he's calling it quits, I know it's for a reason and let it be.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Exes are exes for a reason.

Mostly everything ends badly, otherwise it would not end.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    For most of mine, I wouldn't give the time of day.....

But for one of them.....I'm a sucker. :ohwell:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    One of my exes cheated on me. I should have walked away but I was young and stupid. I gave her a 2nd chance and it didn't last. The trust was gone. Years later we remain friends. We're not close as we were before but we remain on good terms.

Another ex of mine simply didn't work out. Nothing negative, just the spark, the desire wasn't there so we mutually broke up. Still remain friends. I think it just depends. My 1st ex I'd never give a 2nd, or in this case, a 3rd chance. I can't trust her with my <3 ever again. The 2nd one, has a great personality, geeky, attractive, etc. etc. except 1 thing, she's a couch potato. Our lifestyles are currently too different for it to work out.
  • shamrck44
    Options
    I wouldn't have my son if I didn't give XH a second chance. It's the 3rd chance that finally made me open my eyes.

Now, I don't think I would make that choice again, I learned my lesson
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No. This is not the land of second chances.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I concur with the above responses. Ex's are ex's for a reason.

I took one back and it was the worst year and a half of my ENTIRE life.....
  • Scottish_Lass
    Options
    I stick to a general rule for life. I'll forgive people once, give them another chance. If they hurt me again, then they should make sure the door doesn't hit them on their way out. Having said that, both my exes were cheaters and they didn't change their spots, so no, I wouldnt take either of them back at all.

However, if the relationship ended because of distance or something like that, then it would probably be alright to break the 'exes are exes for a reason' rule IMHO. Guess it depends on the circumstances.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one.
    In my past I have given 3 men second chances and all blew up in my face and were harder to get over the second time than the first. What I have learned is that you break up for a reason, your gut instinct told you something .... and unless you can change the ENTIRE relationship and not fall back into the old one, what really is the point? So my new rule is no second chances ever again.

Lots of relationship books though, say to give a second chance and if that doesn't work out then it's done and over..... If you can't make it work twice, you definately aren't 3, 4, 7 times.

Good luck.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I gave a guy a second chance after a lousy first date. Worst mistake I made. Everything in my head was saying " he is bad news." However, I thought it was me who exaggerated. It was him...He showed his true colors AGAIN eventually. Use your head and not your heart. Intuition is the strongest tool you have!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are so many different factors when it comes to situations like this. It often depends on why the breakup occurred, whether or not you believe the person has changed, or whether or not you have changed yourself. I try not to stick to the cliches like "an ex is an ex for a reason" and so on, because there really is no situation that is the same. There are as many ways to live and as many different types of relationships as there are people in this world.

I am a person who has given second, third, and fourth chances to people. I've had others do the same with me. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it doesn't. It's a crapshoot. The only thing that you can do is follow your heart, and do what you feel is right for yourself.
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if it didn't work out the first time....there's no reason it will work a second time.