Introductions!

Options
Who are you, how old are you?
What branch do you want to join, and why?

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I already was enlisted in the Navy for 7yrs and recieved my honorable discharge, I just thought I might be able to help. Have you talked to the recruiters? They should be able to put you into DEP(Delayed Entry Program) and you'll be given a chance to PT with the recruiters. If you have and they won't help, the fastest way I've dropped weight is low carb with cheat days. Also weight doesn't really count as much as bodyfat percentage. You'd probably be able to get a waiver if you're within your bodyfat range for your height and weight. And of course good luck!
  • BigPun75
    BigPun75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Joe from South Gate, CA (Los Angeles) 28 yrs old.
    I'm looking to join the Army. I have always seen anyone in the Military at a higher standard and always wanted to join. i know my time is running out. i would love to be a MP
  • BigPun75
    BigPun75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sir for your Service
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    24, in NC. Started out last January needing to lose 130 lbs to enlist. Already down 62 so almost half way there. I plan on joining either the Navy direct as a corpsmen or entering the USMC and working with intelligence. At first I was pting an absurd amount, 3-4 mile swims and 2-3 mile runs a day, but only lost about twenty pounds. I started following the primal diet plan and have lost the other forty two ish pounds within the last few months. Though I will admit I lost focus for a while. Looking forward to this page.

Seth,
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. First, thanks for starting this group. It is a great idea and hopefully we will grow big.

I'm Tony...30 years old and want to go into the Naval Reserves. First thought about it when I was 22 and when I had to lose about 50 lbs but now I need to lose a staggering 103--FML. You guys seem to be doing a lot better than I am :) But I really have been pushing hard the past couple of months. Going to the gym six days a week and doing 60-90 mins of cardio.

It sounds kinda cheesy but I want to join because I never really felt a part of anything. Never did the fraternity thing in college nor did I keep many friends. I came from a dysfunctional family so that didnt really help either. Hmm what else...I love the ocean and love to travel so being a sailor seems to fit. I want to do something in intelligence or the legal field. A chaplain would be cool too.

I just have some doubts though. Im really apprehensive about boot camp. If all goes well and God willing I hit my target weight by the end of 2013 id be going in as 32 year old Seaman Recruit (?). I'd feel so out of place with all the teens and twenty somethings. I just hope I can keep to myself and be left alone. Also, I plan on going to law school here soon so that may complicate matters. Im not even quite sure what the Reservists do during their one weekend a month training LOL. Guess I'll talk to a recruiter when the time gets closer.

Seems like im the worst of the bunch so far, so wish me luck :) Also feel free to add me so we can encourage each other.

Peace (^^)v
  • Sarri93
    Sarri93 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    My name is Sara, and I'm just 19, but I'm needing to lose roughly 40 pounds to join the Air Force.

I'd never really considered joining the armed forces in any way shape size or form before, but with what's been going on in my life, I figured the structure would help me out. And also, being a part of something. I'm a bit of an introvert, and making friends is hard for me. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent (I mean I made a 96 on the practice ASVAB I was given), but my motivation and concentration just sucked for a classroom setting. I know that might sound a bit ironic considering what I want to go into, but when I really care about something I'm doing, I am determined as all get out. I dunno if this makes much sense right now because I'm typing this as I'm half asleep.

I guess the main thing that pushed me into considering this, and deciding I wanted to do it was that I have a friend who's just graduated from the Air Force Basic Training (I forget the official name) and he loves it. I saw him the other day, and he kept going on about how he couldn't imagine being happier. Sooo.... Yeah that's me :3
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Kuntry-Navy: Definitely helpful..thank you so much, and also thank you for your service. I Hope you don't mind, I added you as a friend : )
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Samcorvus...definitely inspiring..thank you for sharing your goals. I Heard about the primal diet before. I think it's very beneficial since it eliminates all dairy and carbs. If it works for you, that is awesome. Best of luck and please keep up updated on your progress...

Sarri93 - Thanks for adding me as a friend. You are 19 and that's a wonderful age to begin getting healthy. So neat that you want to join the Air Force. I am like you, I want to be part of something bigger than myself, making a difference. I'm an introvert as well. I think we can definitely achieve our goals. We just can't give up : )

Daybehavior - Dont worry that you have that weight to lose. I have to lose 100 pounds myself! I am 250 trying to get down to 150. We can do it! I am kind of late in the game too, being 27. But there are tons of military options still open. We can still make our dreams come true !
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    BigPun - So admirable that you want to join the Army. Don't worry about missing a few days of counting calories. Just make sure you get back with us, and get back on track. The reason why I say that is because I have already messed up on like 2 or 3 days! And for 2 days that I KNOW I ate wrong, and didn't keep track of calories, I just put that I had "3000" calories for the day, but I did count the exercise. I don't want to skip any days because I don't want to be discouraged. If you ever need encouragement please message me : )
  • pooleebarbara
    pooleebarbara Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My name is Barbara and I'm joining the USMC. My father was a marine and I've always wanted to be one. I unfortunately lost myself and lost motivation. I'm now 60lbs overweight and struggling to get into shape.

I'm attempting to drop out my old ways and get where I'm going. I'm hoping to join in this coming fall.
  • jenwoods87
    jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I'm Jennifer! I'm 25 and going to join the navy!! I'm honestly not sure why I decided navy...I use to think Air Force but navy has way better uniforms haha. I struggled with deciding between enlisted and officer however I have officially decided I enlisting with the dream rate of CTI.

I've already lost 45 pounds since July and have another 32 to go! Believe me when I say that I was never able to lose weight... If I can do it anyone can!!! I slipped up in nov and dec but now I'm back on track. I'm trying out a keto diet and so far it's working! I'll keep everyone updated I it works. I will help motivate any of you if you find yourself struggling. Just shoot me a pm!

I have started the c25k program and on week 2. I'm dying!! People say running gets easier but I am finding that hard to believe. We wil see haha.
  • KalaMakaKoa
    KalaMakaKoa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My name is Sarah. I'm 28, live in NC. My story is a tad different from most of yours as I have already been to boot camp once. Read my blog if you want to know it because it is entirely too long to type it out again. :) Anyway, the short of it is, I am losing the weight to enlist in the Marine Corps. I have quite a bit to lose (105lbs) and not a whole lot of time to do it in, but it will happen! And no need to lecture me on unhealthy weight loss, I know the rules. :)
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am barely under the weight limits, but my goal for losing weight is to be able to do pull-ups by June. I am trying to lose 15 pounds, as I am reasonably strong (obviously not enough). My strength to weight ratio is not high enough, so I am working on the weight while keeping up the strength training.
    Good luck to you all!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm Jay. I am 31, to be 32 in 2 months. To be 34 by the time I graduate college. Looking to join either Army or Navy reserves or perhaps, active after I finish my bachelor's degree. I have not as of this time, determined which branch as of this moment.
  • Manervia10
    Manervia10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Manervia, I am 21, I have 35 or so pounds to lose before I am able to enlist into the Air Force. While losing the weight I plan on finishing up my bachelors degree so that I can enter as an officer. Everyone please add me and feel free to message me or leave pieces of advice. I have struggled with weight all my life. We are going to see if this helps at all

Good luck to everyone and I hope we all reach our goals!
  • megduke91
    Options
    Hello, my name is Megan. I'm 22 soon to be 23. I am a mother of a 5 year old and an 11 month old. I am starting to get in shape in order to join the Air Force Reserves, there is a shape section on there web sight that I have been following. So far i have lost 17 or 18 pounds and I have 10 to go! My husband will soon be out of the military and so it will be my turn to join. Having two kids, trying to study for the ASVAB, and get in shape I have a lot on my plate!!! Support is welcome.
  • caitlinlonghofer
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Caitlin. I'm 20.

I have 30 pounds to go, and I'm an ROTC cadet for the Air Force. So upon graduation, I'll also be commissioning as an Officer. It's a dream, a passion, and something I have changed my major for. I don't really have a back-up plan at this point, so losing the weight and getting in shape isn't an option for me. I was never even slightly interested in the military until I got to college where I saw everyone wearing the uniforms. I thought, "Huh. If they can do it, I can do it." And so I did. In order to go to OTS next summer and keep continuing in the program, I have to lose approximately 30 pounds by the next time we take a PFA, which is usually somewhere near the end of October. So, I have about 6 months to get to 165 lbs! Wish me luck. Airpower!
  • Tatya25
    Tatya25 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm Tatyana, 25
    I have about 40lbs minimum to join the Air Force.
    *Is this group still active?
    *Is anyone paleo?
  • cheyseel2006
    Options
    HI I am 18 years old and I plan on joining the army at the start of next year. I need to lose a minimum of 20 lbs as of today in order to enlist but I want to be down 34 lbs for when I enlist. Wish me luck :) I wish you all luck too
  • Makeachange
    Makeachange Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Claudia and I am 21 years old n 5'5. I'm planning on joining the air force but need to lose 20 lbs so far. Wish everyone good luck on their journey.