new to the group.

Options
closenre
closenre Posts: 225 Member
Hi all,

My story:

In 2005 at 17 I had my daughter, got married and joined the marine corps. I have always been slightly heavy. Had my son in 2009, and also ran my first marathon. I did not listen to the experts and failed to get the "right" shoes for me and tore a tendon in my left foot at mile 21. I gave up running and then got out of the military in 2010. I was 190lbs at 5'7". As of January 2012 I was 225 lbs. I woke up one morning and decided enough was enough. I found a bowflex online and started lifting daily while cutting my calories to 1000 a day. In June I was down to 165 lbs and started running again. Ivwas slow! Avg. 10 min miles at first. In November I ran another marathon and finished at 4:41:41 (died wt mile 20) lol. 2 days later I was back running and 2 weeks later ran a half (thanksgiving day). I finished in 1:52:30. I join mfp in Dec to help with the last few lbs. I am now 148 lbs and 8% body fat. Looking to get to 6%. I now have a half planned for Feb 2nd and my next full on Mar 17. Looking for friends that are also training for an upcoming race!

Replies

• MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am presently doing a taper for a HM on Jan 5. A virtual training partner would be fun. I am nowhere close to 8% BF and I would kill to run a 10 min mile but I am tenacious/steady (read: slow!). I run 4 days a week and lift 2 days a week with Sundays as a rest day.

I also have two children. They are grown and on their own. I left my 20's behind a long time ago but am hanging in there (for my age) and refuse to give in to being in my 50's. My husband is my running partner and we have a great time.

This HM is my last big race for the season. My sister is trying to talk me into a 10K in March. We'll see. Give me a shout and I would love to add you as a friend/virtual training partner! Being accountable to someone for miles each day helps get me out the door in the mornings!

Melinda
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love hearing about other peoples races and training. I just bought 3 books about running and waiting for them to arrive. Will be nice discussing the miles and all t5hat comes with this sport. I run 5 days a week now, 2 short runs (3-5) 2 medium runs (5 to 8) and a long run (9 to 20). All part of the training. I find that once a race is over I have to schedule another one in order to keep up my milage. Its my way of keeping my self in check. I am looking at running the remaining 2 days of the week as well, maybe 2 to 3 mile tempo runs or even slow recovery, i dont know. Anywway, look forward to hearing from you or antyone else out there that has anything to add!!