HAPE

LowcarbNY
LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
Coming from living near sea level to High Alpine I suffer from HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema,) if I'm sleeping above 8,000 feet so I have to take Diamox to combat it. That keeps it in check but I have the typical side effects of tingeling in my hands and feet, and acidosis that results in stomach distress and the inability to drink anything carbonated (including beer) without it foaming in my mouth.

I've never taken the time to get slowly acclimated to this type of altitude. All my high alpine sky trips have been Leave NY in the morning, be at altitude that evening, ski the next day (or sometimes even the same afternoon).

I have no problem at say Jackson Hole where I'm sleeping @ 6000 ft, but Summit county, Co, Vail, Co, Alta, Ut, have all been problems for me and they are all 8000+ ft where I lay my head at night.

Anyone who suffers from HAPE have any positive experience with getting acclimated to altitude more slowly and not suffering HAPE? If so, how long did it take and how did you do it?