Your Horse

Options
This is Dawn from Delaware, east coast of USA. I would love to hear about your horse(s), and what you like to do.

Love Sunny Days LFR and I have begin together since 2004, when I found him at a rescue. An Off the Track Thoroughbred, rising 6, and so sweet and friendly. Pocket Pony! I wanted a BFF to bring along. He had a crazy stall weaving pattern. I had to take him so I could be sure he could live out with a herd. A big $900 later and off to Unionville, Pa where our story began.

(Locally Steuart Pittman is launching a huge push for getting competitors back into TBs. He and some top trainers are Retraining 4 horses each all from top racing stables, and will show the horses at the Baltimore and Harrisburg Horse Expo. Any Who, he asked everyone with OTTBs to add the letters of the horses rescue to his name, to demonstrate how well they can switch careers. thus on Sunny's name the addition of LFR = Lost and Found Rescue. I don't expect to compete, But I do love supporting Pittmans group, The Retired Racehorse Training Project...cool videos and reports online and Facebbo too if you are interested.)

back to our story

At 8, Sun is now The Best Trail Horse ever! Using clicker training and lots of ground work, I desensitized him. I actually shy more than he does. When hacking we have 5,000 acres of public and private (huge estates) land, including the Wyeth estate of Union Rags (Derby), who along with his colt buddies would race us along their fence line as we cantered by!! Small World.

three years ago I moved to Jill Willcox's Tory Hill Farm in PA, where we began Very Basic Classical Dressage a la Nuno Olivera, in order to rehab Sunnys body, from racehorse to a balanced and straight riding horse. I have been blown away at how much his body has changed. I am also a barefoot trimmer and have normalized his feet. all that dressagey stuff was new to me and I love it for rehabbing horses.

I will post a blog on my site in 2013 about his rehab. that's a hobby of mine.

I am 61 and just do horse stuff. There are 12 mostly OTTBs at Tory Hill so lots to play with...clicker and body work.

Have a wonderful and healthy day. Day 4 for me and feeling great with food. NOW to gym. gym Then barn since barn time is, as you know, til it's dark and or freezing. LOL

can't wait to hear from every one.

Love to all,
dawn

Tory Hill is on Facebook and has a tiny site. It's a pretty farm. 40 hilly acres of turnout for the crazy thoroughbred!

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn!

Your horse and place sound lovely. I love thoroughbreds too, but don't have one now. I used to have an Appendix (part quarter horse TB) and rode tons of cross country -- he was fabulous. He spent his retirement years with the girl who had shared him with me while I was pregnant and during my daughter's infancy -- she moved away and started a horse rescue and retirement place in Ontario, so when he got to be too old to ride, he had a familiar friend to take care of him.

When my daughter got to be 13, we had been spending money on lessons, trail rides, etc., and decided we needed a horse for her birthday. We bought a funny looking bay roan quarter horse -- skinny, not too well trained, but sweet and sound. He has turned out to be a great guy -- we all have learned tons in the 7 years we have been together. He's now fat, comfy and still loves little girls more than anything. My daughter got to be such a good rider she was hired at 16 to work for an appaloosa and QH breeder out in Saskatoon. She worked all their young horses (they called her the crash test dummy!) and at the end of the summer they gave her a yearling gelding. He is now 4, and the smartest spotted thing on four legs! He is a red bay with a blanket of white spots, and we both love riding him. So our two boys, Moonshadow and Jack Jack, keep us happy. We ride some dressage, lots of trails, both western and english pleasure, and the older one is a good hunter -- smooth, calm, and lovely over jumps. JJ will start jumping this summer when he is 5. We put him over some low ones last year, but we'll see if we can get things going more now that he is getting stronger and probably has finished growing.

We live in Quebec, so it is COOOOOLD and snowy now -- not very inspiring to go ride, so the guys get a lot of rest. I'm determined to go tomorrow, so hold me to it! I don't care if it is utterly freezing! I'll ride bareback! I usually do these days -- tore a meniscus and can't use a stirrup on my right leg without pain, so I'm really getting my bareback chops back. It's a blast.

MFP has been great for my riding -- I have lost 34 pounds since this time last year, and I actually like breeches now! My boys are much happier with my better muscle tone and control too, I'm sure. Keep logging, keep moving, and don't give up!

OK -- enough blathering on! I hope to hear others' horse stories too.

liselyn
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok, well, I'm Suzie, and I'm a horse person... (I would like some friends on here too if ya want.)

My horse is named Nugget. He is a BLM mustang that I adopted when he was nearly 2, in 1998. I never planned to keep him, I worked in the horse industry and didn't need a horse of my own. I planned to learn from the experience of training a wild horse, and then to sell him along. That whole plan changed once Nugget decided I was trustworthy. Once we were friends, that wild horse was willing to do anything for me, and I realized you can't sell that loyalty for any amount of money.

When he was younger, I pushed his limits quite a lot. He's carried flags in parades with marching bands. We trained for search and rescue, and have served together on a sheriff's posse. We've gone though "bombproofing" trainings, and he's been trained to accept and not react to gunfire. He makes quite a handy little cow horse if you need to move or sort some cows. Nowadays, however, mostly we just go on nice trail rides. I keep my horses at home, and we have BLM (public lands) at the end of my dead end road. Sometimes we spice up our ride and play "Three Day Eventer" by galloping out and jumping over fallen trees and brush.

Nugget is a flaxen chestnut, who sticks in at all of 14.2 hands, when he's due for a trim. People often ask "is that a Welsh Cob?" which I take as a compliment to his unknown breeding. We once stood him up next to a Belgium Draft, just to be funny, and it was like that thing on Sesame Street: BIG! small. BIG! small. He's really a tiny Belgium Draft, he's even got the feathers on his legs!

He's a little horse, with a huge personality. He's the herd boss in his herd of 2. I won't lie, sometimes I really have my hands full with him. But even if he does give us a "mustang moment," he always listens to me. He's willing, and forward, and always eager to see what's over that next hill or around the next corner. He gets in the horse trailer like a dog going on a car ride. I can leave him in his field for a month, saddle him cold backed, and ride straight down the trail without having to get any bucks out in the roundpen first. He's bossy and pushy and he doesn't like to wait, but he loves me, and tells me so every day, every interaction.

My other horse, Oreo, is often referred to as "my horse's horse" because I got him as a companion to Nugget. Nugget finds it important to live in a herd. Oreo is a wayward horse who belonged to a friend and needed a job. Oreo has a bad leg, and just this last few months I've decided to officially retire him from riding. He's a beautiful 10 year old appaloosa with loud colors and a lazy and stubborn streak. His personality was never really suited to work, so it works out well that his job is simply to be Nugget's companion. He's also a subject in a research study that the local equine vet hospital is doing, about what's wrong with his leg. In summary, it's a mess, but I'm pleased that his condition can be studied to help other horses. He's a real sweetie pie who thinks he's a lap dog, and does basically exist as a pet.

I love to take them both camping in the summer. I take them both, ride Nugget, and pony Oreo along with us. Oreo's never any worse for the exercise, and it makes him miserable to be left behind. Together, they are a well trained pack string, standing still for mounting and dismounting, and keeping their quarrels to a minimum. Except that Oreo isn't packing anything, he's just along for the ride!

My next horse, which is probably years away still, will likely be an OTTB. I rode them when I was a kid, and I'm a big believer in retraining, rehoming, rescuing, whatever you call it. My current horse is off the range, it only makes sense for my next one to be off the track!
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How great for your daughter! What an experience...riding, raising a baby. Nice to have a fellow horse lover in the family too.

My daughter started riding at 4 and stuck with it until 7th grede. but she wasn't really horse crazy. then allergies stepped in!

My helmet off to you for riding! I like the cold but OMG! JJ sounds very sharp looking!

I finally got a few photos up today! I haven't quite figured out best time for gym, best time for barn, etc.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    I really enjoyed Nuggets story. Once the mustang trust you , it's a done deal. Often unlike a domestic horse who has learned how capricious people can be! And for him to end up in Parades! Bravo.

Sunny is used to deer hunters but I haven't been right next to one to see how he would react. I have cracked a lunge whip off him with no problem. I take my bomb proofing Very seriously. This time of year we wear jingle bells to give the deer a heads up!

like U and Liselyn, I just love the trails, no matter how you slice it. Walk, Jumping logs, Hand gallop a hay friend, lateral work.

It took me all summer but we were all about deep water and a little swimming. I needed a plastic saddle and bridle. Just can't take a chance of slipping off when we are far from home. sunny did the flehmen response for his first horse paddles. My rottie swims circles around us...herding!

all but my first horse, have been OTTBs. I love them.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm Susanne and I live in a small countryside town in the Western Cape, South Africa. I've got 3 boys. The one is a 16-year old saddler gelding, Quaker. I've had him since he was 2,5 years old. I saved him from horrible showing stables where he just started his training in all those unnatural ways for saddler showing. I only used him for trailriding. He is incredibly loyal and trustworthy and the most emotional horse! He will let you know how he feels about stuff!

Then I've got a stallion, Kido Clodan, which I bred myself. (He is the one in my profile pic). He is now 7 years old. He is a Nooitgedaghter, which is a true South African breed. (almost like the Mustang in America) They are hardy and tough, very well adapted to the SA climate and do well in dry, rocky areas where there is not too much green grass for them. They are good doers, so should ideally stay away from too much food (almost like me!!).

Then I've got Clodan's half brother, Kido Nicholis, which I've also bred myself out of the same mare. He turned 5 on Christmas and is quite a character! He is way too intelligent for his own good and always gets into some kind of mischief! He grew to almost 16hh and is as wide as he is tall. He is a survivor and would find the last blade of grass on the farm!

I try to keep my horses as natural as possible. They are not stabled and have a huge paddock of about 60ha to roam on. All natural type of vegetation, which is not great grazing, but is very low in NSC's. I feed mostly hay and very little concentrates. All of them are barefoot and have great feet.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Hi Susanne, again,
    Really enjoyed hearing about your horses. I will have to read up on the breed, Nooitgedaghter. that's a word and a half!

One fun thing about meeting you all on MFP is the vocabulary. when you say the horse is a saddler what does that mean?

I hear ya on the NSCs. I was a professional trimmer for 6 years. In the end I took an online course on Equine Nutrition so that I could help my clients, most of whom had easy keepers. They would often get laminitis and founder in the spring. If you google Tory Hill Farm in Pennsylvania you will see our rolling grassy hills, rocks removed 100's of years ago to build homes and fences....I am talking The Beginning. Great for thoroughbreds and that's about it!

I just converted hectares, wow 150 acres. that's a nice place. Tory Hill is about the same. the boys have several adjoining pastures that wrap around both sides of the driveway. Actual Horse Pasture is about 40 acres or 20 HA. I turn out 24-7, all year with sheds in every pasture and Believe it or Not, the boys have access to a full sized arena, except during lesson time, 10-12, or whenever I want to use it. Of the 4 boarders, I am the only one there every day. Except for a friend for Sunny, Farm Owner Jill stalls at night in the winter. I am told that is something she began as she aged, now 81. she doesn't want to deal with horse problems at night. Lame, I know. Her husband Mark is 99! He just went into the hospital with a heart attack and pneumonia. One day fine, next day bam. time to go...

Back to the In-Door, during lesson time, loose horses are allowed (!!) in the arena if they behave themselves. Jill drives her little "jitney" all wheel drive in. My horse LOVES to take out everything from the back storage area looking for a dropped oat! If any one approaches him, to chastise him, he begins his repertoire of tricks, makes them laugh, then he gets a cookie instead of a talk! he has Clicker- trained all the students. LOL

OK, it's waaaay past 7:30 as I IPad in my cozy bed next to Annie my Rottweiler. Hope the gym is open. I want to do something. Then a family thing UGH, pls give me strength to avoid all food, then to the barn, yeah!!!

Dawn
  • Kidostud
    Options
    Hi Dawn

I'm very passionate about the Nooitgedaghter breed and you should really have a look at our website. A lot of the articles are written in Afrikaans (my home language) and many of the breeders are Afrikaans speaking and not so fluent in English.

Here's a link to the website: http://nooitgedachter.co.za/

And you might find these articles interesting:

http://nooitgedachter.co.za/index.php/artikels/40-nhbs-general/71-nooitgedachter-booklet

http://nooitgedachter.co.za/index.php/artikels/40-nhbs-general/156-the-nooitgedachter-steeped-in-history-but-as-modern-as-they-get

http://nooitgedachter.co.za/index.php/artikels/40-nhbs-general/52-what-is-a-nooitgedachter

You can also see more pictures of my horses over here:

http://nooitgedachter.co.za/index.php/breeder-pages/39-studpages/113-kido
  • Kidostud
    Options
    Oh sorry, forgot to add that when I talk about my boy being a saddler: He is an American Saddler, but in SA we call them SA Saddlers. They originate from America, though, as the first saddlers were imported from there. In SA the saddler industry is quite big and the quality of the horses are very good. We export a large number of horses to America. But, although I love the breed, I don't like the way they are being trained and presented in the show ring - way too unnatural for me, and way too much metal in the mouth and on the hooves. I actually think it is borderline abuse.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    I will definitely read up on the breed. As a trimmer, I was a student of the feral horse foot. I even managed to buy 3 half hooves from Brian Hampson of the Brumby Project, Australia. I used them to teach owner trimmers what healthy feral hooves,looked like!

American Saddler??? might that mean Quarter Horse? I had no idea countries were sending a lot of horses to the US. We have such a slaughter problem, it makes me sick. ut lets not go there.

Your native language looks pretty challenging. If my plane to New Zealand has WiFi, I will have many many hours to educate myself about your country, language and native breeds! I have a week and then off I go, first to California and then Auckland.

Fortunately I can take my MPF horse friends with me!

dawn
  • Kidostud
    Options
    No, the American Saddlebred is completely different to the Quarter Horse. Here's a link:

http://www.americansaddlebredassociationofarizona.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Saddlebred

And this link here is for the SA Saddlebred:

http://www.studbook.co.za/Society/saddlehorse/index.php?p=15
  • ruralgirl
    ruralgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

Im sooo jelous of all our wide open spaces to ride!! And the snow in Quebec...all we have had here for the last 12 months is rain:-( I am in Devon in the UK and only have 2.5 acres for 4 horses (its a small island:-) Shame about the horses being slaughtered in the US I have had the discussion on here before - a QH costs about £4,000 here!

I have a couple of cobs (pics on profile) a pony for the kids and a 2yo TB x Welsh section D which I bred out of my ex racehorse TB mare who had to stop work cause of lameness. All our off road riding is on bridleways which are so waterlogged at the moment they are almost impossible and some farmers tend to block them on purpose. I ride a lot on the roads but the speed of traffic going past you here is not good and some people are really not very helpful towards horses - there is often an attitude that we shouldn't be on the road:-(

Anyway my 2 are great in trafice so I don't get too many problems. Haven't been riding much recently but when they are fitter I like to do longer distance rides. Usually box to Exmoor or similar.

My ambition is to ride somewhere with wide open spaces and camp... maybe I should emigrate lol

Anyway back here for a thirdattempt at the weight loss in 2013:-)
  • megalee24
    megalee24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am so glad I found this group. I have three horses that I love dearly. Socks is a 20 year old 1/2 Quarter horse 1/2 Paint sorrel mare who is unregistered, but is a very sweet dependable horse. She was diagnosed with the beginning stages of navicular this summer, so we are keeping an eye on things and modifying her hoof trims to help her out.

Rock is a 15 year oldsorrel overo Paint gelding, again not registered and he's afraid of everything, but he trusts me. He's not quite 14 hands but stocky built and a lot of fun to ride, he's got a lot of spirit so not a good beginner's horse but I love him. These two horses were gifts to me from my husband while we were dating, they both orignally belonged to his great uncle who was getting older and wanted to find a home for them. It was the best gift I could have ever recieved.

My third horse is Rebel a 6 year old Quarter Horse gelding, his mama is our mare Socks so I have been with him since day 1. He cracked a bone in the front of his left rear leg when he was almost 2, I kept him on stall rest and medications for close to 6 months and a year later my vet gave him a clean bill of health. Unfortunately due to circumstances in my life I have not broke him completely yet, I've done all the ground work and he's carried a saddle but no rider as of yet. His retraining will begin this spring when I can finally move him to the property that we are currently renting.

We are finally at a place that has pasture and plenty of places to ride so I plan on moving my horses from my parent's place 30 miles away to our own place after we build and fix some fence this spring. I can't wait to have them with me again, they have gotten very spoiled! I have missed them greatly and can't wait to explore my new place on horseback!
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Love love love hearing about everyone's horses! o many great stories. Now to read up on the American Saddlebred! I am good on some breeds: TB of course...I have had many, Arabian my least fav, QH...met some lovely ones, Apps...gotta love the color! I almost got a leopard app MULE, 3 years old! LOL I passed when I learned that they mature slower than horses.

this crazy gal who owned him was named Dot, from Dorothy. Every thing on her farms had dots! American Pony, chickens, you name it. LOL
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Where should I start LOL! Oh and careful Bellehavenfar... I LOVE Arabs!
    We have 5 horses...
    1. Joe, my "main man". He is an Arab X ummm something or other, palomino, 15.2. He and I mainly do endurance, but he also allows my two girls to putter around on him. He is very careful and gentle when they are up there, even when he's fully fit for 50 mile rides! So much for the "mad Arab" tag... He does have a naughty streak though and is always the one to be found on the wrong side of the fence/in the chicken pen/out of his yard at ridecamp...
    2. Prycie, a Standardbred who came to me free to a good home and has proved to be a handy endurance horse as well. He's the one in my profile pic. He has completed 2 x 50 mile rides - not bad for a second career, as he also had 60 starts as a racehorse! He is 12, about 15hh, dark brown. He doesn't do much endurance any more as I have Joe in work, but he might be coming out of retirement this season... He also has a part time job being my other half's trail horse. Again, he is very careful and looks after the OH beautifully.
    3. Mojo, my 8 year old daughter's Welsh B, grey, 12.2hh, 9 years old. Cheeky pony, always in trouble at the same time as Joe, and he likes to give daughter some misbehaviour to sort out from time to time! But he NEVER refuses a jump and is a handy little games pony, and my daughter is a confident rider so she keeps him in check!
    4. Angel, 19 year old 14hh cremello Connemara. My older daughter's pony - daughter is 10. She's not "mine" as she is a long term lease from a friend of ours but his kids are grown up and I don't think he'll want her back. She lives up to her name - my older daughter was NOT confident when we got Angel but she is now! Angel will do everything you ask of her and take good care of small passengers, but she can also turn a hoof to showjumping and games with a more confident person on board. So she has taken my daughter from nervous nelly to 60cm jumping rounds. We owe her so much, I'm happy for her to retire here when the day comes and live out her days bossing the others around.
    5. Savannah, 6 year old Welsh X stockhorse X Arab mare,bay, just 15hh. Had 2 years off riding before we got her and I am bringing her back into work with the aim of one of my girls riding her when they grow out of the current ponies. She has her moments... can be marey, and needs another 12 months of work before I would describe her as "broke", but we'll get there!
    So there you go. Too many horses, but they look good in the paddock as you come up the driveway!
    I blog about endurance too... you can find it here:
    http://endurancedownunder.wordpress.com/
  • sigsiddy
    sigsiddy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Deb and I live in Western North Carolina. Currently we have 6 horses. 5 are ours, 6th one is an appie Mare that my daughter is re-training Western, and bombproofing. She was rescued from kill buyers at a sale and dubbed "crazy" because she wouldnt lead. My daughter and her friend were able to back her on the lead and then lead her around easily. She would not cooperate with the seller ...who was seen throwing rocks at her to trailer load her! At any rate, my daughter was riding her the next morning.

Our 5 horses: Duffy is a 6 year old Thoroughbred mare. My daughters ride. Moody and very fast! Beau is mine, is registered paint and also a blue eyed medicine hat paint. He is 11 yrs and I am absolutely obsessed with him. Smitten is probably a better word. He came from a kids camp and is very bullet proof. Western, English, spins on his heels.. not bothered by the cow whip cracking either so I am sure he has had some cow sorting time.
    Boonie is my other daughters ride. He is a 26 year old blind spotted leopard appaloosa who is championed in halter class. Moon blindness. Sees shadow in one eye only. We trail ride him, fun show him , and parade ride him. He goes where you point his nose and never takes off LOL. He is very nosy with that nose..poking it at you all the time. We have to get him in his stall before dusk.
    Boonie has his own "seeing eye pony" to follow around: Blackjack.is a gaited shetland pony and pulls a mean cart. Not sure if shetlands are supposed to be gaited but he is a flashy little thing. He fiercely protects Boonie. They get pastured alone every day and we have built special barn stall with a low divider betweent them. They give kisses over the divider and pony has lots of Boonie's nosy slobber all over him in the mornings.
    Codey is a 2 year old reg.quarter horse stud from foundation stock lines. Hancock bred. He is a sweetheart. not sure what color.. bay roany looking. He did well in halter class last summer.

We have had several Arabians through the years and missing one in particular every day. He had to be put down one summer ago at age 26 from choking episode that got to his lungs.

I love them all!
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have four horses.

Lady - My very first horse. A grade paint mare that I was told if I could catch her I could take her. She was half wild and abused when I got her but she came around and showed everyone her tremendous talent for Hunter Jumper. She will jump most anything you point her at!

Doc - My stock paint gelding out of Risky Business. I got him from a rescue. He is big and sweet and everyone falls in love with his pretty face.

Cajun - My newest edition and impulse purchase. He is a QH/Saddlebred gelding with loud tobiano markings and pretty blue eyes. We will be breaking him in this Spring, I can't wait!!!

And last but not least....Cinco - The love of my life. He is my double bred Cutter Bill gelding that I use for everything from Western Pleasure to Dressage, and this year we will be trying Competitive Trail Riding!
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Hi Anna E and welcome. so glad you found us. almost all my Friends here are horse people and that is such a bonus!

what a herd you have and in work. my hat off to you.

We have an Arab x at the farm, a 3 yr old nut case. But having heard about your horses, I am going to say his problems are not his breed but his beginnings of not handled although he lived with a herd in a paddock situation. And then leaving him intact and ...you won't believe this...sending him untrained to a therapeutic riding center. He came back worse than when we left. What a sad journey he has had.

I didn't go to your profile but it sounds like you are from the Britain. Look forward to reading your blog! Endurance is too much work for me but I love hacking my OTTB out for 1-4 hrs. I will admit we smell a lot of roses! LOL

Dawn
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    HI All
    I'm in Australia Dawn. VERY rural.
    The ponies are outside my back door so that means I can fit it all in. That plus a very supportive husband!
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    welcome Gal!

I enjoyed reading about your horses. You definitely have a gift. It feels great to rescue horses.

Your herd is really nice and always love the loud paint. I seem to come home with Plain Paper Bags. LOL

does your show season run year round. I wonder how you manage western and English? are the classes offered at the same show?

You would be hard put to find much western in Delaware and Southeast Pennsylvania where I ride. I am very close to Unionville, Pa which is a major horse center...Phillip Dutton, Bruce and Buck Davidson, Jessica and Missy Ransenhausen, and some top drivers too. miles of great trails in this area because it's major fox hunting country, Cheshire Fox Hunt. super duper $$$.

I am 61 with a rescued OTTB who had a partially torn high suspensory. We pop over the occasional log is all. Honestly, 'wear and tear' all over, I can not comfortably get my stirrups up high enough!

look forward to hearing more!

Dawn
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Hi Anna E,

well I knew I heard an accent in there. My daughter and her family live in Sydney. she told me about some crazy heat a out two weeks ago. did you get that?

right now we are in Auchland as Brie tries to get her student visa renewed. Hope it only takes a month!

I probably will near see the bush. do you have any brumbys?

Take care,
    dawn