My Training Plan - feedback needed

Options
bsmith404
bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
A little background on me: I have done several 5k's and 10k's. I am training for my first half marathon on April 7th but there is also one on the 28th that I can do instead if i'm not ready or according to my plan and current running schedule. I have been running about 2x a week and no more than 2 miles. I took a break from running so much so I can enjoy classes in the gym. I would run 2 miles on the treadmill 2xa week before bodypump class.

Ok so let me know what you think of my training plan (hal higdon novice 1):

This is based off the first week on the plan. I'm actually doing smaller miles these next two weeks since I have 14 weeks and not 12. I will start this exact schedule in two weeks but the first two weeks i'll be basically subracting a mile from this plan to get me running several times a week again.

sat: easy run (2miles)
sun: rest
mon: run (3miles) plus body pump
tues: 30 minutes cross training
wednes: long run (4miles)
thurs: body pump
fri: run (3mile)

Thoughts???

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not much of an expert as I've only done a few half's myself, and my training is probably a bit unconventional.....but my one thought is that body pump the day after a long run might be a bit much on the legs when you get into higher milage. I would suggest trying to schedule a rest day, an easy run, or cross training on the day before and after your long run. Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that the plan is going to be a little light on the mileage. If you are starting out at 12 miles per week. Here's my reasoning. I don't believe strictly in the "10% per week" rule. I think you should increase by 10%, hold for two weeks, cut back for a week, then go up another 10% and repeat. So, starting this week and going 14 weeks to race week, your mileage would look something like this.

20 (including race)

Now, taking into account another axiom into account, that your weekly long run shouldn't be more than 1/3 of your total weekly mileage, your long run would top out at only 7 miles. Yes, some plans will have you run a long run that is closer to 1/2 your weekly mileage, but I think that's just a little too hard on the body, especially when one is only running about 20 miles per week.

I wouldn't "go easy" for the next two weeks if you are capable of safely running more miles than what you have listed there. I would try to follow a plan that will safely get your highest mileage weeks up to 28 to 30 miles. That way, you should be able to safely get to 10 miles for your long run. If you can do 10 in training, you can do 13.1 on race day.

I, too, echo the previous posters concerns with doing body pump the day after a long run. As you mileage increases, you will find it increasingly difficult to do everything that you want to do. If you want to get through the Half Marathon with the least amount of discomfort, you'll likely need to give up some of the other things besides the running.

Best of luck to you!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not much of an expert as I've only done a few half's myself, and my training is probably a bit unconventional.....but my one thought is that body pump the day after a long run might be a bit much on the legs when you get into higher milage. I would suggest trying to schedule a rest day, an easy run, or cross training on the day before and after your long run. Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck!

Although I did make some of my best gains by resting the day before a long run, then riding my bike for 25 miles or so the day after then resting a day.