CF for $50?

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
Hi all,
I have never done Crossfit because it's been too expensive and intimidating. There are 4 boxes in my little town of uber athletes, and now a 5th one is opening on Jan 1.

They're running a deal... $50 for four weeks if you sign up before Dec 31. I'm already a member of another gym, and paying $50/month until Feb. The lead trainer at the new CF box just came from Reebok Crossfit One and was a former Navy Diver, so I'm assuming he's pretty great. And, it might be cool to join a startup, where there's not so much of a clique-y kind of group already established.

So... should I spend the $50 for four weeks, which would essentially buy me the base camp, which usually runs for $145? Even though I'm still spending $50 at my other gym?

And, to confound my decision, is the fact that my personal trainer (who cost an arm and 2 legs) is opening her own gym on Feb 1. And I love her. And I'm sure her gym will cost less than $195/month like CF, and her workouts are really intense.

Thoughts?

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    do the boot camp, anyway. Even if you don't stick with it, it was a month of getting an extra *kitten*-kicking for super cheap.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    go for it! CF is a blast and will mentally give you a break from the "normal" gym.
  • caribougal
    Options
    I signed up. And then I got a welcome email saying that they don't yet have the building permits from the city complete for their box. So my workouts will be at the nearby Gymboree. Ummm... Not a great start. oh well. I start on Wed.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as long as they have all the equipment, who cares .. although it would be pretty hilarious to see a WOD involves those cages with plastic balls inside :laugh:

at least the bootcamp you can learn the basics and if you decide you want to continue doing the workouts, you can always peek on their website for the WOD and do them on your own.

also i know what you mean about paying for 2 gyms. unfortunately i'm doing that since my regular gym has things i regularly use that my crossfit box doesnt (sauna, steam room, outdoor heated pool, cardio machines, racquetball courts). the only reason i pay for both is that my crossfit box is only $65 a month. i'm ona budget but i decided i'd rather give up some stuff i didnt need to be doing anyway in order to do crossfit
  • caribougal
    Options
    Wow!
    $65/month is awesome. Lucky you.

The boxes here range from $175 to $195/month. That's double the other swanky gyms in town. We have 5 crossfits, 4 other big clubs, and I don't know how many small gyms, and a yoga studio on every block. You'd think that the competition would bring prices down, but this town is fitness obsessed and full of money. Oh, to have a trust fund and lots of time to workout... We can all dream.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah the prices i was seeing everywhere else in my area (there's like 3 other boxes i could have joined) were like $180. i found the $65 by accident. it's primarily a rock climbing gym and crossfit there isn't really advertised.

i have NO idea why it's so much cheaper. the on ramp classes were regular price (195). the owner is certified and so are the instructors (i checked to make sure it just wasnt some regular ole joe bob saying hey here's crossfit) . the other thing is that the crossfit space is TEENY. if we have a class that's more than 8 people, they have to start setting up outside in the driveway and a big part of the driveways in on a steep hill :laugh:

anyway, have fun in the on ramp class. they are really good about answering questions and giving you lots of choices if you need to scale an exercise
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm so jealous!! I wish I could do cf for $50 for a month!!
  • caribougal
    Options
    Me too. It's just this first month because they're brand new. They dropped to price to $95, and then they offered a coupon on a local mom yahoo group for another $45 off. After that, they're $195/month.
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    oooh is it crossfit sanitas? it always shows up on my facebook advertising feed hence i am a CU Boulder alumni and crossfit one of my keywords or something :)

the place looks gorgeous once it opens!!

enjoy your on-ramp classes... olympic style lifting is challenging!
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When do you start? A CF box just opened up here and they are doing $20 fundamentals, a free trial week, $100/mo if you sign up before the end of Jan and if you do fundamentals you get a free shirt. I'm going to try and jump in sometime this weeks. I was seeing a personal trainer who does cf style workouts, once a week for $10 a session. But $100/mo unlimited is such a better deal. Especially since I want to work out more than once a week.
  • caribougal
    Options
    oooh is it crossfit sanitas? it always shows up on my facebook advertising feed hence i am a CU Boulder alumni and crossfit one of my keywords or something :)

Yes, Crossfit Sanitas. Their box is still under construction, but it's actually been kind of comforting to be working out at Gymboree. I spent many, many, many hours there with my babies. Now I'm lifting barbells there. A bit surreal.

I'm trying to figure out WHAT I'm going to do after on-ramp. I used a personal trainer this fall, and she's opening her own gym only 5 min from my house (of course, Sanitas is 10 min... big deal). She's offering me a good deal since I trained with her to join her gym, which opens next month. It's not crossfit, but they have a 6am boot camp and her workouts are very similar. Maybe I'll buy a Crossfit punch card at one of the boxes in town and do CF once a week, just to keep it going, see what the regular WODs are like beyond on-ramp.
  • caribougal
    Options
    When do you start? A CF box just opened up here and they are doing $20 fundamentals, a free trial week, $100/mo if you sign up before the end of Jan and if you do fundamentals you get a free shirt. I'm going to try and jump in sometime this weeks. I was seeing a personal trainer who does cf style workouts, once a week for $10 a session. But $100/mo unlimited is such a better deal. Especially since I want to work out more than once a week.

$10/session with a personal trainer??? It's more like $50 and up around me. Your deal sounds amazing... go for it.
  • booyainyoface
    Options

Yes, Crossfit Sanitas. Their box is still under construction, but it's actually been kind of comforting to be working out at Gymboree. I spent many, many, many hours there with my babies. Now I'm lifting barbells there. A bit surreal.

I'm trying to figure out WHAT I'm going to do after on-ramp. I used a personal trainer this fall, and she's opening her own gym only 5 min from my house (of course, Sanitas is 10 min... big deal). She's offering me a good deal since I trained with her to join her gym, which opens next month. It's not crossfit, but they have a 6am boot camp and her workouts are very similar. Maybe I'll buy a Crossfit punch card at one of the boxes in town and do CF once a week, just to keep it going, see what the regular WODs are like beyond on-ramp.

great idea on a punch-card. i did that before i found an affiliate i really loved... i liked the punch card cause it gave me new ideas for my workouts i would run through independently, and it was simply FUN!! :)