How much weight to start out on?

Options
shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
I have been doing 3 sets 5 reps recently on my on, waiting til after the holidays to start stronglifts. I've been hitting failure at 5 tho. From what I read & someone told me, I shouldn't be failing in the beginning. So what percent should I start at? Seems I read 50% at some point.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    50% is the common amount, yes. for most women that means empty bar, on everything, or like 65 lbs on squats and empty bar for hte upper body lifts (and 95 for deadlifts)
  • bikrchic13
    Options
    Oh, cool, thanks 4 the heads up. Going to gym tonight start my first SL5x5 or maybe 3 by 5 to start. I will start with those weights u suggested.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My starting weights were
    Squat - 30
    Bench - 25
    Overhead - 20
    Row - 30?
    Deadlift - 90

So lots and lots less than the SL programme says for everything except Deadlifts. I'm using a studio bar for most lifts in order to get those weights...
  • bikrchic13
    Options
    Thanks xidia.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No problem. The row was too light - I keep increasing but haven't found it start to get hard yet.

You'll be deadliftng some of the lighter weights to get them into position with a studio bar and no rack/cage, so I'd see how those feel before deciding what your starting "pure" DL should be.