Day 1

Options
Day 1

*Beep Beep Beep*

You reach to turn off your alarm. It is 5:00am. You hit it as hard as you can until the beeping ends. Any other day you would lay in bed for an additional hour or so, pushing you to the brink of tardiness for work. However, today is not one of those days. You hear screaming in the streets. Sirens are blazing. It sounds as if the whole world is unraveling. This is it, you think. The end of all days. But instead of disappearing into a puff of smoke and ashes as you always expected to, you run to the window and take a peak. What you find is repulsive. You struggle to retain what little amount of stomach acid you have. Outside your window, mere feet from where you were just dreaming of wonderful things, you see the dead body of your neighbor- walking across your lawn.

You run through your house checking the locks on windows and doors. You know this is only a temporary solution; you’ve seen the movies. It is only a matter of time before the zombies break through the windows.
You rush into the garage and grab a hammer and as many nails as you can find. You begin to tear apart your furniture, searching for strips of wood you can use to board up your windows. Wishing you had spent more time in the gym, you exert all of your upper body strength in accomplishing this task. By noon you have finished.

Now allowing the emotions of this tragic day to overcome you, you sit on the floor of your kitchen wondering how you are going to survive. Suddenly…

*Knock Knock*

“Who is it?” you whisper into the door, afraid of what response you may receive. “Hey! It’s me! Let me in! Hurry!” You’re best friend stands at your front door, relieved to know you are still alive. You let him in.
“When I saw your neighborhood, I thought for sure you were a goner…”
“What is it like out there?”
“It’s horrible. You can’t stay here. We must go.”
“I spent the entire morning boarding up windows. I am not leaving.” You take in a huff of air. It has been a difficult morning and the last thing you want to do is leave the comfort and security of your own home.
“If you want to live, you will. It won’t take long before they find their way inside. Trust me. This has been going on for only a few hours and already they have completely overrun the city. Pack a bag, come with me. There are a couple of people waiting for us and we are going to make a run for it. If you have any camping gear and some light-weight supplies, now would be the time to pack them.”
Realizing you don’t have many options, also understanding that you don’t want to spend the rest of your possibly short life alone, you agree that this is the best course of action. You run through your house and start grabbing everything you can think to take.
“Let’s go. Time is running short. We must meet up with the others before they leave us.”
“Alright. I’m ready.” You turn around and silently say goodbye to the life you once knew. It’s time to run.

Today's Challenge:
Realizing that many gyms will be closed today due to the holidays, I suggest we start with some upper body workouts at home (in reference, of course, to the amount of work it would take to break furniture and board up windows- but please don't do that). We will start the running challenge tomorrow. Welcome to the Zombie Apocalypse!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    awsome beginning to the story! Makes me glad i dont live in a city.

this is the perfect excersise for me today as i was planning on moving 40lb cinder blocks around outside to start the compost bin, so it definately works the upper body!

thanks for doing this and making it come alive for us!
  • robbinoburrito
    robbinoburrito Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think it should be fun! If anyone has any ideas for the story line, I am totally open to suggestions. After all, we are all experiencing the apocalypse together. :)
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did the 20 min at home upper body workout on fitness blender for today's challenge. What are you guys doing?
  • robbinoburrito
    robbinoburrito Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think I will do the Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown. I think it is painful enough to work. I will also do sit-ups and -heaven help me- push-ups.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Love your story....

I'm just joining the group and happy to be not eaten by zombies
  • IntenselyInspired
    Options
    This is going to be so much fun!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm excited about this :smile:

I plan on doing some weight exercises and maybe try at least 5 pushups.
  • 10jamie29
    10jamie29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My gym was open so I did chest and triceps plus 30 minutes of cardio.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I did JMBR day one which was all upper body bar a few squats :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    great storyline!! thanks for starting this

i did pullups, tricep dips and pushups. and cardio (running and rowing) to prepare for running.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had an awesome first day, I sure did. I started JM's 30ds today and ran 3 miles.
    Anyone care for corny jokes? Here's one for ya.

What do zombies eat? brains... brains... brainssss
    But what do vegetarian zombies eat?

Answer:
    grains... grains... grainssss!

LOL, I said it was corny!

This is gonna be sooooo much fun. I admit I was a little disappointed on 12/21/12 not to see a single zombie. It was a big motivator to take up jogging.
  • lapocienta
    lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Joining late. But in honor to the wonderful story line, I'll add a short 10' workout from fitness blenders to my day. It's called "Tank Top Arms". Well... It may not be as useful as barring doors and windows, but if I get caught, I'll be a zombie with lean arms :tongue: