January 2013 Discussion - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Options
Happy New Year to all of you!!! Voting is over, and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore has been chosen for this month's challenge. Please get a copy at your earliest convenience, and let's get started!

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Great! It looks like a good book.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the read. Thanks for organizing us.:flowerforyou:
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes! Thanks for organizing us!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Great writing style " Lending strange books to stranger customers in the middle of the night"...

***Haven't read many pages but this book is quite readable!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Great writing style " Lending strange books to stranger customers in the middle of the night"...

***Haven't read many pages but this book is quite readable!

This is good to hear!

I haven't had a chance to get started on it yet, but plan on it tonight. How is everyone else coming along with the book?
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just finally downloaded it to my nook today. Haven't made it more than 30 pages in, but so far I'm intrigued. I do really like the writing style too. Very readable and very interesting.
  • mabug01
    Options
    The first paragraph had me chuckling. I love all the contemporary SF bay area references, since that's my home. The detail is simpler than our previous book so it's very readable. I'm only on page 45 (ebook page 45) and I am intrigued to see what happens next.
  • mabug01
    Options
    BTW, this is Robin Sloan's first novel. And, if you get the actual book, the cover glows in the dark!
  • lem_orc29
    Options
    BTW, this is Robin Sloan's first novel. And, if you get the actual book, the cover glows in the dark!

I was wondering about that, but way to lazy to google it and find out. ;)
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Have not received book yet. But I am still in it and will catch up.:wink:
  • lem_orc29
    Options
    Had the day off yesterday, so I just sat down and finished it. :)
  • mabug01
    Options
    Finished it this morning. Plan to read it again to pick up more detail. I read it pretty quickly because I wanted to uncover the secret. I'm impulsive like that sometimes :)
  • mabug01
    Options
    I have another suggestion to add to our list. It's non fiction: Mastery by Robert Greene. "In Mastery, Robert Greene’s fifth book, he mines the biographies of great historical figures for clues about gaining control over our own lives and destinies."