Shimmy Mob

Options
Hey guys, I am new to this group and am getting back into tracking with myfitnesspal, been doing poorly the past month. I have been a belly dancer for about 3 years and have been overweight most of my life. Since I began dancing I have lost weight (with the help of diet and other exercise), increased my confidence, and now have a more positive body image. I still have issues showing my belly, I use a belly cover:). One day I hope to be confident enough to dance a bit more freely...still working on it.
Anyway, last year I participated in Shimmy Mob which is a worldwide mob type event that promotes women and gives the opportunity to fundraise for shelters and abuse centers, etc... If anyone is interested in participating, go to www.shimmymob.com to find out more and better information. I saw that someone mentioned it last year, but didn't know if anyone did it. We had a ton of fun last year! It is also a cool opportunity to learn a new choreography and fun dance moves. I am participating in Hammond, La, but most could probably find a team near your area. Look right away as prices will go up soon.
I love belly dance and look forward to learning more about all you guys!!!

Replies

• pattyapoian
    Options
    Hello :smile:
    I have been dancing for 9 years, nice to meet you. I actually have gained a lot since I've been dancing :huh: but it's not really because of dance. I have been overweight most of my life too. 8 years old is when I started my first diet!!!!
    Anyway, I still cover my belly it's o.k. though. I think of quitting from time to time because of my weight and age, but I just love it too much.
    I am doing Atkins and I am going to just stay on the program as I just feel so much better and I lose weight. The trick is to move through the phases and add food back in slowly. Good luck shimmy sister!!!
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I participated in a bellydance flashmob (not part of the official shimmymob movement) some years back and it was truly awesome! I've dropped a note to the director of my dance studio. She organizes an annual retreat with Bozenka, who's doing the choreography this year, so that might be an incentive to join in.