Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Chronic Health Conditions?

I have PKD (polycystic kidney disease). I am wondering who else in the group is dealing with a chronic health condition? Dealing with a kidney disease really changes the way I have to approach losing weight. I thought it would be nice to be able to chat with others dealing with health issues.

Andrea

Replies

• RoseyK
    RoseyK Posts: 157 Member
    I have degenerative joint disease and low blood sugar issues. When they did the complete body scan, they said my bones look like swiss cheese. I keep getting tested for lupus.... my right side goes completely numb. I have nerve damage in my arms and legs that has gotten worse instead of better.

But.... I am alive !! and I plan on being around until I am 100 years old. I tell my doctors that I have to be able to get on the floor with future grand children and my brain has to work.
  • HippieMamaOf2
    HippieMamaOf2 Posts: 61 Member
    I knew I wouldnt be the only one in the group with a chronic health condition. It is nice to meet you. I look forward to chatting with you more.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    My problems seem small in comparison. I herniated a disc in my neck sat Jan. I have been dealing with the pain and numbness for almost a year. Every time I start to feel better I re-aggravate it and I have gained almost 15 lbs in the last year due to in consistent dieting and exercise. I am currently going to pt and giving myself 6 months of non-stressful exercise to get better.

I also have a number of food intolerances that makes it difficult to plan meals. I am wheat and dairy free, along with a number of weird random food triggers. When I eat these foods I get tummy issues (you don't want the details) along with headaches and sinus pressure. There are a couple of foods that makes it difficult to breathe. My dr gave me an epi-pen, luckily I've never used it. I just carry it in my purse.

Looking forward to getting to know you, Lelah
  • I don't even know what's wrong with me, but I have had almost constant leg pains and leg/foot cramps for a couple of years now.. when I was at my heaviest I couldn't even wear shoes, much less take a walk, a few steps and the cramping would begin.. my dream of horseback riding was very, very far away (cramping feet in stirrups??) and I was miserable. I remember in the beginning that I had to sit down and bend back my toes after just 10-20 minutes low impact aerobics.. the easiest Leslie Sansone workout was a challenge and it took a while before I could do all of it. Most of the time I had to stop because of the cramping.

Last year I managed to lose 20 kg's and started working out regularly, and guess who was back in the saddle this summer?:happy: I still have problems though, mostly pain and weak muscles in my lower legs and the twitching in my feet, it comes back if I miss like one day of working out... :noway:
  • HippieMamaOf2
    Yeah, more people posting! It is nice to get to know others who are dealing with health issues in addition to trying to lose weight.

I am going to see the renal dietitian again soon. After that visit I will be updating my food diary with my new goals. I haven't customized my goals in my diary yet because I knew they would be changing again after my visit. I have to watch the amount of protein, sodium, and potassium that I consume closely. I also have a few others that I have be mindful of as well.

I'm currently stage four (out of five). Which means that I have very low kidney function, but not quite to complete failure which would require dialysis. My diet has to change the closer I get to dialysis. It will become even more restrictive as time goes by. It will change completely again once I reach end-stage failure and begin dialysis.

Are there certain things that you have to closely monitor due to your health conditions?

Andrea
  • eternity365
    eternity365 Posts: 97 Member
    To HippieMama: I would sugest swimming or aqua aerobics to you, It is fun, it will take weight from your joints and if you get in to warmer swimming pool or jacuzzi it will ease your joint pain. My mom has similar problems so she was fascinated about effects.
  • eternity365
    to Tasnimen: you should get a blood work done what yo describe is usually associated with K and Mg deficiency.
  • HippieMamaOf2
    Good idea Eternity365, but I wasn't the one that posted about that. :)

As a side note, I did aqua aerobics last year and enjoyed it. The class schedule changed and I stopped going. I really should check the schedule again since I'm recommitted to exercising on a regular basis.

I love lounging in a hot tub, but I can't do it too long at a time due to one of the meds I take. Sad, sad, sad side effect really.
  • eternity365
    sorry:embarassed:, it should have been addressed to RoseyK
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 780 Member
    Chronic conditions...other than being a big girl? *grin* I have severe blood pressure issues and diabetes. My joints are always hurting (especially knee and back). The doctor is getting ready to work on finding out what that is but he's pretty certain that a lot of it has to do with the weight on my joints. He is more worried about the blood pressure because I have a terrible problem with chest pains; almost constantly lately and dizzy spells. Do those count? :)
  • HippieMamaOf2
    I'd say those count Wraiythe. Are you on mess for your blood pressure yet?
  • I have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and migraines.