Alcohol Calories Ignored!

Options
KitTheRoadie
KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
Hi folks, the BBC are running a story at the moment about dieters ignoring the calories in alcohol and the effect that can have on their weight loss.

I thought I'd post the link so all my MFP peeps could read it - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20874204

There's also a link in there to a calorie counter where it shows you how many calories say a glass of wine has, and how much exercise you'd need to do to burn off those drinks. It's here for your convenience - http://www.wcrf-uk.org/cancer_prevention/health_tools/alcohol_calorie_calculator.php

I know alcohol calories are empty (not nutritional) and sometimes I log them sometimes I don't, that's just a personal preference.

Happy New Year all! :bigsmile:

Replies

• RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Think you'd have to be pretty stupid to ignore calories in alcohol when trying to diet as they're obviously gonna be there. Not saying that about the approach you take though as you clearly know they're there you just don't choose to log them, but if people are dieting and wondering why not losing weight if they are not monitoring alcohol calorie intake then what do they expect, nothing we put in apart from water is going to be calorie free, that should be obvious. It always amazes me how many people don't realise these things!!
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I remember when I found out how many calories were in Jagermeister. Put me right off!

I include everything, because it all adds up. I can see why people might not on "cheat days", if your mind works that ways. But if you regularly drink you want to be recording, I'd imagine.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking so much years ago when I was doing weight watchers and I realised how many calories I 'wasted' on booze. I'd much rather eat my allowance, so now I only really drink once a month when I have a night out with the hubby, although I have to be honest I don't add what I drink to my diary, lol!!!
  • daz_automatic
    Options
    It really does make you think doesn't it? A large glass of wine (or two choccie biccies) would take a 30 minute brisk walk to burn off! :sad:
  • squankmuffin
    Options
    I know a pub that is 15 minutes away. If I walk there and back and have one glass, am I even? :devil:
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. just walk home and back after every glass and could have more!!
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    Someone ran a story where girls/women were not eating so that they could go out and drink without the worry of calories.
    Have never done that! but it explains why I gained so much weight at University.
  • phoebs16
    phoebs16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, for me....

I've got to contend with alot of stress going on around the family at the moment, so whilst I'm not ignoring the fact that I'd be better off without the alcohol calories. I kinda need the odd glass of wine to help de-stress a little. I can't afford to go out, and drink the cheapest wine there is going so not that naughty, and whilst it comes in at 165 calories a glass, that's only a little more than some snacks.
  • squankmuffin
    Options
    Someone ran a story where girls/women were not eating so that they could go out and drink without the worry of calories.

I read that. Quite apart from the eating disorder / drinking on empty stomach / binge drinking concerns, switching all your calories to one or two days of the week is not a good way to lose weight.

Eep!
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Hi, for me....

I've got to contend with alot of stress going on around the family at the moment, so whilst I'm not ignoring the fact that I'd be better off without the alcohol calories. I kinda need the odd glass of wine to help de-stress a little. I can't afford to go out, and drink the cheapest wine there is going so not that naughty, and whilst it comes in at 165 calories a glass, that's only a little more than some snacks.

Thats fine tho, you take it into acoount and plan for it, its the people that somehow think it doesnt count who are the problem/have the problem!
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    I am planning on a cheat day this month (Partners birthday with 6 very drunk blokes) and then I probably won't drink much till August :)
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    luckily i dont really drink alcohol any more , i decided i hated the hangovers and the losing of the next day :(

and yes i do know i can drink sensibly , but when out with friends it can be hard to .........
  • squankmuffin
    Options
    I think we can credit Phoebs as being sensible enough to not use glasses like this:

60508.jpg

Editing to clarify that this /\ is a full size brandy bottle and a huge glass, not a mini brandy bottle. Ha ha!

I have to remind myself what pub measures are. :laugh:
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I only drink on special occasions and holidays anyway, both of which i tend not too count on, I just go by what seems sensible.
  • phoebs16
    phoebs16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lol Squankmuffin! What a glass that would be! Glad to say I haven't seen any glasses that size ;o)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my alcohol calories early in the day when I know I'm going out - makes you realise how much you have to exercise to balance it out.
    3 pints of cider 600 calories, 50g of roasted cashews 318 calories.
    918 calories is a good workout and the cider tastes much better knowing you have "earned" it.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I remember when I found out how many calories were in Jagermeister. Put me right off!

I include everything, because it all adds up. I can see why people might not on "cheat days", if your mind works that ways. But if you regularly drink you want to be recording, I'd imagine.

Hmmm it sure wouldn't be the cals in Jagermeister that put me off... but Skittle Bombs.. well that's another story!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I know a pub that is 15 minutes away. If I walk there and back and have one glass, am I even? :devil:
    Only if you walk with extremely high knees on the way...
  • slofitness1978
    slofitness1978 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this information, it's really interesting and has certainly opened my eyes!