Why can't people enter items correctly?

Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
Why though?

Why do you try to use arithmetic to adjust nutritional information to incorrect amounts instead of just copying the label and using MFP as a calculator as it was intended?

Why do you input portion sizes as packet or can, so that other users have to try and work out a fraction of a packet or can they want to eat instead of putting the portion in grams (and then adding any notes after in brackets)?

Why don't you put the type of item first, such as soup, lettuce, cheese, tomato, bread etc. first? Why is it completely random where any item is because it starts with Fresh, Good for you, Wholewheat, Smart price, Mini, Dark, White, Super, Medium, Classic, Light, Microwave, Value, Fat free, etc, etc, etc.?

Replies

• vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I just noticed the other day that Iv been using the already listed version of Sainsburys eggs to see that no proteing information has been added. dur
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it is not on the labels any way- for instance the beef topside we have been eating from sainsburys has no iron! Allegedly...
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I think sometimes it is not on the labels any way- for instance the beef topside we have been eating from sainsburys has no iron! Allegedly...

The iron system is broken. I can tell you how much iron is in foods, but then it would then have to be calculated into a percentage of the 2000 kcal American recommended diet model, which isn't applicable to you anyway. Basically, they need to change it from a percentage to mg.

Having a user recorded micronutrient that isn't required on nutrition labels is far too optimistic anyway.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people have enough trouble recording Sodium that is on the label. Also converting that from grams to milligrams - it's not difficult folks! Sorry, personal peev ranted.
  • bystander1943
    bystander1943 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest a work-around? Click on a meal, then enter a random word. The likelyhood is that you'll get back 'not found' and you will be invited to add a new food at the bottom.

When you enter the title, you're instructed to add the various quantities. At the end, there's a coice of adding it to the meal in question. There's also a choice on whether to add it to MFP's database or not. If you decide not to, it still stays as one of YOUR foods, and can be recalled on demand.

It works for me.

Randomness might be solved by sorting everything alphabetically.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Might I suggest a work-around? Click on a meal, then enter a random word. The likelyhood is that you'll get back 'not found' and you will be invited to add a new food at the bottom.

When you enter the title, you're instructed to add the various quantities. At the end, there's a coice of adding it to the meal in question. There's also a choice on whether to add it to MFP's database or not. If you decide not to, it still stays as one of YOUR foods, and can be recalled on demand.

It works for me.

What makes MFP such a powerful tool, is indeed it's user customisation. Unfortunately, this is also it's drawback.

It's great that you've found a way that works for you, and I'm fully aware of how to create my own foods, log them correctly, and even assign them barcodes.

My goal is a little loftier though. I would like to be able to walk into any shop in the UK, pick up any food item, scan it's barcode, and have the correct information appear on the screen.
    The only thing standing in my way, is people deliberately making incorrect entries.

If the item isn't on the system? No problem. I don't mind creating and assigning the barcode (food entries have to be shared in order to facilitate the barcode feature).
    However, having to repeatedly edit or reassign food items because other users change them to incorrect items or nonsense servings (last night, someone had changed cucumbers into a per slice value, like a slice is a SI unit?) really starts to grate.

The alphabet isn't the random issue. It's that users name the items random words that make them difficult to find.
  • BikerGran
    BikerGran Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Oh that would make such a difference! I'm amazed that it's not alphabetical!
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Oh that would make such a difference! I'm amazed that it's not alphabetical!

Depending on what version your are using, there should already be the option for this.
  • BikerGran
    BikerGran Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Where would I find that?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    So tonight, not a single thing scanned correctly (even though the correct item was in the database, perhaps "aaaah, close enough" moments?)
    Upon finding the correct items, none of them were correctly logged.

One, it was evident, had previously had all of it's information added correctly, but then someone else had come along and changed the calories and serving size, throwing the rest out.
    Smart enough to search for and edit an individual item, but too dumb to use the drop down box on the portion size? Or just really inconsiderate to others?

Just read the label people, don't try maths. The whole point is that MFP does the maths for you when you change the portion size.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    The scanner is just useless 90% of the time as it will bring up other brand items and different (usually higher) calorie contents.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    The scanner is just useless 90% of the time as it will bring up other brand items and different (usually higher) calorie contents.

But after I've logged a food it scans correctly 100% of the time. It's when someone then changes it to something not quite correct a couple of weeks later that I can't figure out.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Actually, I can figure it out. They hate the accurate portion size and calories I've assigned, so change it to a different product they prefer the nutrition of.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia fit and have been using their database. At first it was a pain as there was very little included but it did mean I had to create a lot myself. At least that way I know they are accurate.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Are bar codes international? I scanned a pack of dried mango I bought in South Africa and it came up as tesco's mango....
  • manofpies
    manofpies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people have enough trouble recording Sodium that is on the label. Also converting that from grams to milligrams - it's not difficult folks! Sorry, personal peev ranted.

The sodium/salt in the database on foods drives me mental - and the barcode scanner gets it wrong , I share your peev.
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    so many times this week iv scanned items using the barcode and the values were way out, its so annoying!!
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hate when the vitamins aren't listed. Fruit salad with no vitamin C seems unlikely.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I hate when the vitamins aren't listed. Fruit salad with no vitamin C seems unlikely.

It's not usally on the labels. I'm not asking people to be as awesome as me. Just at least copy the label.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    the search facility will return items with what you search for (eg 'warburtons 400g' comes back with the wholemeal or the multigrain loaf), although I agree with all your peeves!