happy 2013!

Options
chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
hey, everyone! hope you had a great holiday. well, off to a new year, and i haven't seen a resolution in sight. maybe i need to take a breather and think about what i really want. make a list. check it twice. oh, wait, that's christmas, not new year's! well, whatever. i am personally in need of a bit of soul searching. i will report back when i figure it out! happy day, everyone!

Replies

• vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the resolutions Chan just make a list with mini-goals. You will get there.

My goal is to be able to be pain free. PT starts next week. I go in for my evaluation Tuesday and then I will be going 2-3xs a week for 4-6 weeks. Hears hoping after 4 weeks I am better! I think this will mean NO gym for me unless the PT gives me the okay to work with my trainer. I might hold off. I mean I was feeling FINE until the Friday after x-mas.

I am glad the holidays are over. That season is too long.

Not much else going on in the world of Vendygirl land other than my Husband (Vendy) logged on for the first time in MONTHS and was giving me grief for saying "he isn't the most handy man" from when he did the project. Woops! LOL he was good natured about it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Well, in the spirit of Chan's post:

What *does* everyone really want?

I'm taking the opportunity of January to buckle down, stick to my calories (2100 and oh my god its sad how hard that is for me), and be awesome. In 2013, I want to bench 150 (probably ambitious but I'm benching 100 now and I'm built somewhat advantageously for it) and squat 225.
  • anewpath
    anewpath Posts: 200
    Options
    Happy New Year all!!! I'm not doing a resolution either, just gonna strive to be a better me in 2013. As far as weight loss goes I'm fighting coming up with a definate number I want to be, I just want to get healthy and comfortable. I was transferred to 3rd shift which resulted in weight gain and a decrease in gym attendance. I'm back on days now, the holidays are done so its time to move my a&*! I'm going to a starter class tomorrow for Crossfit to see what I think, I'll let y'all know. My biggest goal for the year involves exiting "Non Mom" status as my wife and I are planning to work towards pregnancy once I drop some pounds.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Now that is a nice goal anew! Just let us know when you happily exit. :D
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    @anew - how cool is that?! don't worry - you can still have honorary non-mom status!

so i'm trying out something new. i am shooting to workout every day between 25 and 40 minutes or so, vs. 90 to 120 minutes 5 days per week. also, i will not be officially clocking them or wearing my heart rate monitor. it's a huge cutback from what i used to do, but i think i pretty much burned out. so i'm going to work on not focusing on how long i'm going or how many calories i'm burning - i'm instead going to focus on moving each and every day. i feel pretty much like i'm starting over, so i'll be going fairly easy for a time. here's my current routine:

50 jumping jacks
    40 knee-ups
    30 bicycle crunches
    20 front kicks
    10 push ups

repeat three times.

simple. no equipment required. now, i'll probably still go to a couple of classes per week as my schedule allows, and i will log those in proper. i will also box and go for walks, and eventually i want to get back to jogging. but for now, my primary concern is just getting the idea of motion back into my routine. i've been sitting still for a long time! not 100% still - i've had erratic workouts over the last few months, but nothing consistent. so this is my step one. i'll keep everyone posted - happy monday!
  • BrokenAlice
    BrokenAlice Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey all - it feels good to be back.

I took a haitus for about 6 months and am back to tracking again. During that time I didn't backslide, but I certainly didn't make any great steps forward.

I normally don't make resolutions, but I did make a REALIZATION - Tracking my food and exercise on a daily basis is what keeps me motivated and accountable. And that's why I'm back to MFP!

Glad to see this group is still here. Looking forward to continued success for 2013!

Alice
  • anewpath
    Options
    Thanks Vendy and Chan! I'm still liking crossfit, I'm sore as hell today but going back for more tomorrow. I'm hoping once I can go to regular classes then I'll have more cardio time. Since we are just learning the exercises our workouts are about 20 minutes, depending on how long it takes each individual to do the circuit. I have one more full week of this class left. Ideally I want to start going to their morning class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, go to our academy for cardio on Tuesday and Thursday befor work then run on my own on Saturday. I want Sunday to be my only off day. I'm on the fat girl program at work yet again and need to be off of it before prego so that's what I'm working towards. Thankfully crossfit is working the areas they pinch, i'm hoping to be done with the program by the end of February but we shall see. There is a 5k I want to do again towards the end of March. I ran it last year and walked some, I want to try for a better time this year.

Y'all enjoy your weekend.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Your work has a fat girl program? What is that? I mean I hope its not as mean as that name sounds!

I feel like the only person on mfp that isn't pregnant right now. Good lord. So many of my friends are. And I really offended one girl because she found out I said that her fetus picture (it wasn't an ultrasound, it was something with really good clarity) was totally freaking me out. (look, new born babies are kinda freaky looking. and unborn babies are REALLY freaky looking.)

Ok fine, I know lots of people aren't pregnant. But for some reason like 3-4 of my friends on here are. I'm supportive of their desire to have kids (or more kids) but I start to feel a little ...disconnected? because I'm not like "OMG A LITTLE BLESSING BABIES ARE THE BEST FOREVER XOXO" the way most people seem to be. I like babies fine, my new niece is pretty cute (I saw her at 11 days old) but I just don't have the fever for more cowbell - I mean, babies.
  • anewpath
    Options
    Tameko, some of us on the program call it that just for giggles. We are required to meet weight or pass a skinfold test. If you fail the skinfold test after weighing too much then you go on the program. Basically it requires us to track food/exercise, weigh in weekly and meet with a dietician. The goal is to educate us so we get healthy.

As far as the baby bug goes, I understand whay you mean. I was in that position when everyone was prego, my sis is again. I'm just not getting any younget and we are ready for an addition. The actual prego part scares me, especially after working so hard to get fit.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Tameko, some of us on the program call it that just for giggles. We are required to meet weight or pass a skinfold test. If you fail the skinfold test after weighing too much then you go on the program. Basically it requires us to track food/exercise, weigh in weekly and meet with a dietician. The goal is to educate us so we get healthy.

As far as the baby bug goes, I understand whay you mean. I was in that position when everyone was prego, my sis is again. I'm just not getting any younget and we are ready for an addition. The actual prego part scares me, especially after working so hard to get fit.

I'm scared of that too. Plus childbirth. Ick. I'd like to adopt if we're going to have kids but my husband is kinda iffy on that, plus the cost is fairly prohibitive.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone's new year is going well and that you're reaching your goals! I'm enjoying a rare 4-day weekend (off school for a snow day Friday and MLK day Monday)! My goal for this month is to try not to binge. I've been really bad about that lately. If I can go an entire week without binging, I can really see a difference in how I look -- my belly starts to flatten out and I look pretty toned. Just one or two days of going way over calories, and I get that squishy look and the tummy bulge comes back. Ugh. The weight lifting is going well -- I'm getting stronger and getting some serious arms on me, but my percentage of body fat has not gone down since I started heavy lifting last spring -- not even one percentage point! I'm starting to realize that in order to get the body I want, I'm probably going to have to lose about 7-8 more pounds. That would put me at the very bottom of the range for an acceptable weight for someone my height and that's probably where I should be with my frame size.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Maybe this would help you bass?

http://gokaleo.com/?p=690
  • vendygirl
    Options

Ok fine, I know lots of people aren't pregnant. But for some reason like 3-4 of my friends on here are. I'm supportive of their desire to have kids (or more kids) but I start to feel a little ...disconnected? because I'm not like "OMG A LITTLE BLESSING BABIES ARE THE BEST FOREVER XOXO" the way most people seem to be. I like babies fine, my new niece is pretty cute (I saw her at 11 days old) but I just don't have the fever for more cowbell - I mean, babies.

I am right there with you tameko! People keep asking when my husband and I are going to have kids and I just glare at them. or if they keep insisting I get snippy and say "when my uterus is ready, it will call you". It is no ones business, unless you offer, to ask. Seriously! I could rant forever so I will stop right there.

I also think newborn or unborn (3d images) are down right creepy! I mean I really don't want to see the inside of your uterus. In fact I am even weirded out by touching pregnant bellies. I just won't do it. And if I ever DID have kids I can tell you now that I will have a fly swatter with me to smack ANYONE who attempts to touch my belly w/o permission. How rude!

And not all babies are cute. I love my niece but she was one ugly baby! I mean she was not cute. I never told my sister that but thankfully she has turned into a cute toddler. She just had to grow out of the funny looking baby stage. (she has quite a temper now too from what I hear)
  • tameko2
    Options
    it was a 3d unborn image that freaked me out. I didn't even know that was a thing but JESUS CHRIST WARN A PERSON!!!!!! I might have been ok if it hadn't just ambushed me on my friend feed, but instead I was like "oh that's kind of weird, what is that.... *looks closer* OMG!!!!!!!!"
  • anewpath
    Options
    So this is my last week of the intro class for crossfit, I have the option to continue in it if I want in order to make sure I'm doing the exercises properly. I think I will continue because I don't want to hurt myself. I've gone to our academy for extra cardio after just because it doesn't feel like enough in class. Most of the class is spent practicing new moves then we do a circuit that takes about 15 minutes. So, my plan for next week is to go to our academy before work everyday for cardio then do crossfit after work 3 days a week. On Saturday I'll do a run and rest on Sunday. I'm off on Monday but I can still go for a run. I have a class 2 days next week but can still get my cardio! Fingers crossed I stick to this exercising 6 days a week!!

I did squats last night with 85 then 95 pounds, my butt and thighs are pissed!!! Our circuit was all legs too so I'm walking slow today.
  • tameko2
    Options
    January is coming to a close.... how'd we all do?

I was really consistent with EVERYTHING - proud of myself. And I finally figured out what my issue with deadlifting is, I think. so I went 175x4 today.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Sadly I haven't made it to pain free yet.... hears hoping the dreaded injection will help. I go Thursday.

The searing pain has stopped but that is only because they have me on an intense muscle relaxer and hydrocodone. I don't like being on either... It is making work interesting.

I realllly don't want to get screwed by a car dealer to trade my car in but sadly driving my car is probably one of the most painful things I have to do all day. (and no I can't trade cars with my Husband because he can't drive stick)
  • chanstriste13
    Options

I am right there with you tameko! People keep asking when my husband and I are going to have kids and I just glare at them. or if they keep insisting I get snippy and say "when my uterus is ready, it will call you". It is no ones business, unless you offer, to ask. Seriously! I could rant forever so I will stop right there.

I also think newborn or unborn (3d images) are down right creepy! I mean I really don't want to see the inside of your uterus. In fact I am even weirded out by touching pregnant bellies. I just won't do it. And if I ever DID have kids I can tell you now that I will have a fly swatter with me to smack ANYONE who attempts to touch my belly w/o permission. How rude!

And not all babies are cute. I love my niece but she was one ugly baby! I mean she was not cute. I never told my sister that but thankfully she has turned into a cute toddler. She just had to grow out of the funny looking baby stage. (she has quite a temper now too from what I hear)

bwah! this is going to have me snickering all day...!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    I will be the first to admit that I am a emotional 15 yo when it comes to needles and pain for me. I knew I had to get this injection yesterday but there were so many factors to that made me nervous. 1) massive needles, 2) it was in a hospital in a massive room with machines everywhere and what seemed like endless nurses, tv screens, tables etc 3) my husband was NOT allowed to go back with me 4) I am so tired from being in pain all the time. The nurses were doing their best to keep me re-assured by I just kept tearing up. When I FINALLY calmed my self down with breathing etc, the Doc shows up and says "I hear you are having a hard time with this" so I start all over. I feel like such an idiot for being so emotional about the whole thing. Well I calmed down again, laid down, they prepped me and it was an uncomfortable feeling but it wasn't torture. I DON'T want to do it again. I will feel the full effects in another 12 hours but I feel a lot better today. Still not a fan of sitting but I can walk straight! So hears hoping this gets me over this last hurdle in the right direction!

Went to PT this morning, and I am to keep going with 4 exercises currently. She said I can do light walking at the indoor track and to avoid walking outside right now (it is soooo freaking cold and icy I would avoid it w/o her advice anyways).

Hoping this gets me back to where I need to be!