Recovery post op

Options
Hey everyone,
Anyone who has had rny, how long did it take you to recovery from surgery. When were you comfortable enough to go back to work. I gave my surgeon my short term disability paperwork today and i told him that 4 weeks off of work would be enough. Now im second guessing my feelings. I have no clue about my usual recovery time. This is my first surgery ever.

Replies

• florascarbrough
    Options
    I'm not working so I don't know how it would have went for me to return to work, but the surgeon told me 6 weeks off work at least if I had been working.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Anyone who has had rny, how long did it take you to recovery from surgery. When were you comfortable enough to go back to work. I gave my surgeon my short term disability paperwork today and i told him that 4 weeks off of work would be enough. Now im second guessing my feelings. I have no clue about my usual recovery time. This is my first surgery ever.

Depending on the kind of work you do, I would think it would vary. I was ready to do everything by about 3 weeks. I know people who returned to work a week after the surgery, but they had light jobs that involved a little walking and sitting or standing around.
  • pixied12
    pixied12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
  • pixied12
    pixied12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well, like you, I'm having surgery in a few weeks too. Jan. 14th to be exact. I'm having the
    roux-en-y. I say that you need to follow what your surgeon says down to the letter, and I will do the same.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I went back at work part time a week after laparoscopic RNY surgery. No complications at all. I am a speech therapist, so do no heavy lifting, just walking to patient's room pretty much. That said, the priority is to take care of yourself and be sure you are healing per your surgeon's recommendations. No reason to rush this! Everyone is different and how everyone reacts and heals is so personal. Good luck to you!! Drink that water!!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY surgery August 7, 2012. I was able to go back to work, with no physical restrictions, after two weeks. That being said, I was constantly exhausted. 5 1/2 months later, I still tire easily, but I'm doing much better. I still have problems with many foods, but that's okay. I eat about 1200 calories a day, work out several times a week, and I stay away from junk food. My biggest fear is that junk food won't make me sick, so I don't touch it! I have lost 96 pounds, with 4 more to go to my goal weight.

Even with being a little behind in the recovery process, I would do it all over in a heartbeat.

Best wishes and good luck to all who are about to undergo the journey to better health!

Maggy :happy:
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had no discomfort of pain after the 3rd day. I could have gone back to work within a week except for the need to nap every 4 hours or so. If you don't have complications, 4 weeks should be plenty. That being said, I took six weeks because I could. Six weeks off in august/september kinda rocks.

Good luck. It's going to be the best decsion you ever made. i promise you!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had no discomfort of pain after the 3rd day. I could have gone back to work within a week except for the need to nap every 4 hours or so. If you don't have complications, 4 weeks should be plenty. That being said, I took six weeks because I could. Six weeks off in august/september kinda rocks.

Good luck. It's going to be the best decsion you ever made. i promise you!

This is great advice! I wish I had taken more than two weeks before going back to work. I believe that my slow recovery progress is because I didn't take enough time off to let my body adjust to the extreme changes. Just my opinion!

Maggy :smile:
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just in case someone is still looking...I had surgery right before the holidays, and I am a teacher so I took off nine days, and then went into the holiday break. All in all, I was out exactly three weeks and it was just right! I went back for three days my first week, and was tired, but it was manageable, and then did full weeks after that. Just make sure that whatever you choose, you have a plan! Eating and drinking post-op at work was different, and if I hadn't planned as well as I did, it would have been much more difficult.
  • DavidG1959
    Options
    I guess I am a bit of a rebel and I went back to work after 2 weeks off.
    I hate sitting around doing nothing.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your job I think. I am a nurse and they do not allow light duty. It is either full on or nothing. My surgeon would not release me with no lifting restriction until after 6 weeks and my job requires a lot of lifting and time on your feet. I probably could have gone back after about 4 weeks...but I wasnt complaining about the 6 weeks off.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    oops..sorry...double post...stupid computer!
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I babysit at home. My surgery was on a Tuesday, came home Thursday and had kids again the following Tuesday. No babies to lift, so I was good to go. Saturday/Sunday were my worst days, but not really bad at all. My husband has an IT desk job and was back to work within 2 weeks.
  • krista1020
    Options
    I'm a teacher. I took 2 weeks off. This is day 5 and I feel like I will definitely be ready to go back...just really tired:)
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 and there's no way I'm ready to go back to work... Maybe in 2 more weeks
  • Ericha2
    Ericha2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had laproscopic RNY on June 11th. I went back to work part time from home on June 17th. I went into the office on June 26th for about an hour. Continuing part-full time from home until July 8th then back full time at office.

I work in Real Estate. The majority of my work is paperwork related and online so I was lucky. I probably could have gone back full time this week but with the short week and holiday I decided to take it slow.
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me 3 weeks is typical for recovery, but it also depends on what you do for a living. If you are at a job where there is heavy lifting and activity, you would most likely be out longer than someone who sits at a desk for most of the day.

He signed me out for 3 - 4 week, 8/5 to 9/5.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I took four weeks off... Felt like I could go back after 2, but then at week 3 I got severely dehydrated and ended up in the ER. I was very happy to have another week off to get myself together. I had a desk job using the computer.

It is also nice to have a few weeks off after you get into the solid phase of eating. I found I was too scared to try anything new at work for ear that it would get stuck, not settle well, cause discomfort, etc.... Having some time at home to figure out what to eat and get your shopping list together is a blessing!
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Since we're discussing the whole going back to work and rejoining the world issue, has anyone been EXHAUSTED in the middle of the days post-op? I'm 2 weeks post op, don't have cute incision scars yet and I'm probably worrying needlessly when I should concentrate on healing.

I don't know what to do. My sleep schedule is all befuddled; I eat a meal - and have to go to bed. I sleep for a few hours and then I'm up the rest of the night. I think about cleaning my room, but since that will involve bending and lifting, and I don't want my innards to become my "outards", I postpone that.

When I go back to work, I'll be a mess. I wonder if my surgeon can add in his instructions that I have to nap each day? :-)
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had laproscopic RNY and I had 3 weeks off work :)