How to handle extreme mood changes that happen so fast

Options
SavvyCake
SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
I know this is something I should ask a professional about, but I was just wondering if anyone else deals with this, and how you might cope. I've noticed over the last year that whenever I get really upset about something (as in, to the point of crying or turning to self injury), it seems to come on me SO drastically fast, and I don't know what to do to prevent this. I can go from being in a completely fine mood to feeling suicidal in a matter of minutes, and it's driving me crazy. Yesterday, I was in a great mood, albeit a little tired, and had to get my car worked on. When I went to pick up my car, it was $500 worth of repairs, which I was ok with. I was going to put it on my credit card and by the end of the month, I'd have the money to pay it off. Not stressed at all. Then my credit card didn't work because the payment I sent in hadn't been applied yet, so my only choice was to put it on my work card and have it taken out of my next paycheck. So my next paycheck will be almost nothing. Within about five minutes I went from zero to 60 emotionally, and was so upset in Walmart that I wanted to throw my basket at someone. Got home and was an utter mess, sobbing, thinking that there's no point to any of it, thinking suicidal thoughts, and ultimately cutting myself several times to calm myself. Now this morning I'm thinking over the last several months and how most of my upsets have been really similar, seemingly out of no-where. It's really disturbing to me because I'm generally a very very optimistic person. People have compared me to Buddy the Elf from that Will Ferrell movie! And I usually would agree, but it's like when I get upset I get SO upset. Does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    I have definitely had this problem. However, it was much more worse in the past then it is now. i am not sure why but it is not as big as a problem as it used to be. I know that my meds work a lot better now than ever. It is still challenging though. My coping skills have improved too. I am sure that is a factor as well.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you take medication, you may need it increased or changed. I've also heard DBT therapy is good for helping cutting/mood swings. Dialectical behavioral therapy I think?
  • SavvyCake
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sure therapy would be the best treatment, but I just can't do it right now (unable to get off work to go and can't afford it). My meds might need to be adjusted; I take Wellbutrin 150. I think I'm hesitant to seek a change in medications since MOST of the time, I feel like they work great. It's just now and then, when something DOES get me upset, wow, it gets me realllly upset.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You might be able to get a different medication just for those days, though. There are a lot of anxiety meds that you can take with Wellbutrin (I've probably tried half a dozen) to calm you down and help you think clearly on just the really bad days. This might be a good option (and cheap, since they're almost all generic and you'll only take them once in a while) if you think the Wellbutrin works well enough most days.
  • SavvyCake
    Options
    Oh geez, that's such a good idea that I feel dumb for not having thought of it! I used to Ativan once in a blue moon for panic attacks, I should ask my doctor what he thinks about trying that again. Sometimes I feel like I want to be able to do it "naturally" with as few meds as possible, but at the end of the day, I'd rather be alive than medicine-free.
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yep, I can get like this instantly too. I've managed not to self-harm in years, but it's always a struggle. Like you my medication works well most of the time, but on days where I've not slept well the night before, or when I feel slightly more brain-floopy, I have an extra medication that I can take.

Most of the time I can deal with the extra stuff with CBT and other coping skills I've learnt, but sometimes, my brain needs a bit more help.
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    I have (in addition to everything else) Borderline Personality Disorder. Whenever you need to SI for comfort, you need to seek a better path. I wanted to try dialectical behavior therapy but there are no therapists in my state. I went and bought the DBT handbook, and it has helped me SO MUCH. Especially the worksheets on distress tolerance. It is kind of expensive but worth every penny. Save up. It is called the DBH program handbook, Marsha Linehan, and has useful advice for dealing with cutting, mood switching, etc. I love it. It is my little secret weapon, in addition to my therapist and my cabinet of meds. Good luck to you.

(PS You did have an extremely trying day. I would have gone off the rails, too.)
  • SavvyCake
    Options
    Thanks so much for that! I'm going to find one on Amazon right now.
  • quiet0mind
    Options
    Are you bipolar? Mood stabilizers are pretty important to take alongside antidepressents and anxiety meds... I take Lamictal and it's all but erased all of my rapid cycling. I started it in December and since getting up to 100mg (and now 150mg) I honestly don't think I've had any sudden changes of mood at all. I take it with Prozac.

Also, Target offers a crap ton of generic prescriptions for $4 - $10. Something to look into maybe...
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    I am not a therapist or doctor, and I would like to refer anyone to go there first.

But very quick mood switching is addressed by dialectical therapy. Sometimes our past, and the trauma that we suffered then, can cause these problems. Medication can help, and so can working through the worksheets and information you get from Marsha Linehan, who created the DBT book and handbook and workbook. Trauma is very difficult to overcome. But the information in the workbook is very helpful.

I hope you find someone to help you with this problem. I deal with it myself.
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I have Bipolar Disorder Type I and also cut/self harm to calm down. I am also curious what others have as their coping mechanisms during really stressful times.