A Memory of Light

Options
2»

Replies

• j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I did not read past the opening post in an effort to remain spoiler free.

Yes that does mean I have not started the book. I feel ashamed.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I am listening, so it is a bit slower. I am a little less than half way done.

Yay! A fellow audiobook-er. If that's a thing.

I listen on my (hour long, each way) commute to work. Perfect time to "read" since I don't have time otherwise.

Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are badass too. Especially Kramer; the amount of different tones and inflections that he can make distinct from one another is just astounding. Like with the three main characters; you could tell if Rand, Mat or Perrin were talking, and he didn't even change the tone up too much but rather had a very unique cadence for each of their speech patterns.

*ahem*

Anyway, I finished the book about a month ago. It was pretty darn good! I have to admit that I teared up a little bit at the last lines, especially with how epic the narrator made them sound.

I only have one complaint about the book. MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!!!!! You've been warned.

The part after the last battle where Mat squares off with Fane was a bit underwhelming. I realize he got a ton of "screen time" being the commander in The Last Battle but...still. There's Perrin, who finally realizes his true self and partakes in an epic battle, hopping across dimensions of existence in his battle with Slayer. Rand faces off against The Dark One, and they battle each other by toying with the very threads of creation to assert their own vision of time and reality itself. Then...Mat, who has been pretty much a badass the entire series...plays dead and stabs a dude with a knife. Boop, done. Very little buildup and kind of anti-climactic.

Otherwise I enjoyed this one. Sanderson is probably my favorite author and I was happy with what he did with the series. It's hard to say whether HE sped up the pacing or whether it was just Jordan's previous plot lines finally coming to fruition, but it was nice to see things moving along nicely in the last three books.