Stretching

Options
alpine1994
alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
Hey guys!

So I started adult ballet in September after not being in a dance studio for 12 years. Needless to say, I was very inflexible when I started. It's getting a little bit better, but I totally lost any flexibility I had during Christmas break. Class last night was TERRIBLE for me. I know I need to stretch every day. Do you guys have any advice on good stretches to do? Or even a stretching routine you have?

Replies

• JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I try to stretch regularly and I have my routine, which I slightly modifiy according to what I need. Our teacher does a lot of stretching, floor work and she incorporates a bit of pilates/yoga too. My routine consists mostly of what I´ve learned from her and most of the stretches are performed sitting/lying on the floor and you don´t need any special equipment.
    I usually start lying on my back, making sure that there´s no tension in muscles (muscles should be relaxed before stretching, never stretch when in tension). I do some not so intense stretches first such as spinal twists, then move on to more intense stretches. I mostly do usual ballet things such as frog stretches, butterfly stretches, sitting with my legs straight and leaning forward to get my chest as close to my legs as possible. Lying on my back, one knee bended and then stretch the leg high toward my body, pulling it slightly with my hands, then release and try to keep the position without helping it by hands. Arabesques on my knee and with my hands on the ground.... and many more.

Even as little as 15 minutes a day can make a big difference. I am naturally not so flexible myself, but I´ve improved a lot by stretching (almost) every day. Good luck and enjoy dancing!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Julie! I'll have to try these.
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Get into a yoga class if at all possible, or find a yoga session to follow at home online if you need guidance but want to do it at home. Also, I will say that as an adult, I have to warm-up before barre. I know the barre is supposed to be your warm-up, but it takes me a lot longer to get loosened up than it used to! I do some releves and plies, arch presses, point and flex from tendu, and some attitude swings, starting very small & low and getting gradually bigger.
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We actually do a pretty good warm up/stretching/floor work at the beginning of each class. It means we have less time for barre and center, but it´s totally worth it. Much less pain, sore nad pulled muscles and way better results than with my previous teacher.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'd love love love to do a yoga or pilates class on a regular basis. That would be amaaaazing.

I didn't stretch much during the break, but did some occasional stretching on my couch back which is the perfect height for my leg!

Go hips, go!