2013 race schedules

Options
2»

Replies

• stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Fairly certain that no runs are tax deductible unless you are raising a significant amount of money over the general cost of running a race- and then the donor would get the write off (well, as long as Congress allows donations to nonprofits to remain tax deductible). It is assumed that you are receiving goods and/or services in running a race which is offset by the fee to participate. (I work in nonprofit fundraising, but am no expert, so check with your tax preparator to be sure).

o ok- so the tshirts you get is basically what you are "buying" then ...you arent donating to a cause?? I guess thats what I thought all of these were.....
    Yes, there are many races out there that contribute to a cause but obviously there is overhead so only a percentage of your registration really goes to that cause. Although Team Ortho for example is a non-profit, their events aren't promoted as charity events. The organization as a whole supports "research, education, and advancements in orthopaedic technology; and to promote good muscular, skeletal, and joint health by encouraging an active lifestyle including training for and participating in amateur athletic events." (http://www.teamortho.us/About-Us/)

Other events such as the MS Walk may not charge an official registration fee, but will have a fundraising minimum.

Team Ortho is notorious for high registration fees, but they put on well-organized events and have excellent swag. The fee pays for the t-shirt/workout shirt/hoodie/jacket, the medal, permits they have to secure because of the size of their races, medical staff, traffic control, portapotties, post-race cleanup, etc etc. In turn the organization uses what's left after overhead to support orthopedic technology, so your fee still donates to a cause, just indirectly.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do a few this year. I'm not a big runner but these 4 look fun.

Color Run - 7/14

The Glo Run - Sept -TBD

Monster Dash - Oct

Diva Dash - 11/9

I did the Diva Dash last year - so fun -- I like the Glo Run idea (have a friend in Dallas that did that! intriguing!) My plan is to do all the ones you have listed!

Well if I get my butt training and sign up for these we should run them together. We could also get Amber (mrskendle) and Jackie (apple2jacks) to run with us.

I agree!!!