A Judgemental, Critical and Suspicious Mind: Chapter 13

Options
Simple6
Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
:brokenheart: Oh how my heart is convicted as I read this chapter. I feel like I am the foremost sinner. I feel grief over how I have operated in these things. But I also feel hope because as I repent I feel relief. What He brings to my attention, He allows me to give to Him and then I am released to love with His love. This makes me light and lite.

This chapter begins with a definition of judging based on:

Romans 12:3 " For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me I warn everyone among you not to estimate and think of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him.

This warning hit my heart. I immediately thought of a conversation I had with a friend last night where I felt judgmental and critical. It felt so yucky. I recognized it and so did she. Why would I think I would know what she should do or not do? My heart has been breaking over this. The faith my friend has is different than mine, yet I wanted her to conform to my faith measure. She has been given grace for her situation and she walks empowered for her choices. I have not been given grace in those areas because I have not walked in them or am called to them. My opinion held me captive. Thank you God for bringing me out of my captivity. Scriptures tells us to Judge not, lest we be judged. I know this and yet I struggle with applying it in my life. I feel like I suppose to judge to discern evil from good. I didn't realize this until I just typed this but I am depending on myself when I allow myself to think this. This is leaning to my own understanding. It is me trying to make God's word work in my life. Again, I repent. I will trust God, first. I will trust God. That is always the first and most important step.

I am finding my experience becomes a measure I use to judge others. What am I sowing?

Matt 7:1-2 Do not judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves.

2 For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you.

Oh Lord, my measure has been huge......:sad: I just repent and ask you to forgive me. Help me learn your ways. Help me to love.

This is yet another area I am finding that my heart has become "conformed to this world."

Romans 12 :2 clearly states, 'Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].

It is worldly and natural to judge others in this manner. It is logical. It is within my own ability and power to do so. However, last I checked I no longer belonged to myself. I belong to Him. That is the old way of judging. It is limited and deathly. My opinion has killed many times. I consider myself dead to that, that way being crucified on the cross. I see myself yielded and submitted to Christ. Proving what is the good and acceptable will of God in my life.

Here is the way I am to think of others according to:

I Cor. 4: 5-7 So do not make any hasty or premature judgments before the time when the Lord comes [again], for He will both bring to light the secret things that are [now hidden] in darkness and disclose and expose the [secret] aims (motives and purposes) of hearts. Then every man will receive his [due] commendation from God.

6 Now I have applied all this [about parties and factions] to myself and Apollos for your sakes, brethren, so that from what I have said of us [as illustrations], you may learn [to think of men in accordance with Scripture and] not to go beyond that which is written, that none of you may be puffed up and inflated with pride and boast in favor of one [minister and teacher] against another.

7 For who separates you from the others [as a faction leader]? [Who makes you superior and sets you apart from another, giving you the preeminence?] What have you that was not given to you? If then you received it [from someone], why do you boast as if you had not received [but had gained it by your own efforts]?

My vision is broken and inflamed with my own pride. Instead of loving my neighbor as myself, I love myself, my opinion, my feelings, and my ways and treat my neighbor as inferior. This kind of love is not really love, but a Jenni imitation of God's love. A designer knock off, if you will. God plans for us to be clothed with Christ not designer knock offs. When I allow myself to be clothed with Christ, His love draws me into unity with those He puts in my path. Even if I don't understand or can't grasp what they are doing. His love always connects. When I operate in Jenni's love, it separates me. This is what happened yesterday. I felt separated and had a hard time getting back on track. Inside I was praying and asking the Lord for help, which caused me to be silent as she was speaking. My silence was interpreted as disapproval but really was me in process of submitting my heart. My dear friend was so kind and patient with me as the Lord helped me gently shift from Jenni's opinion to His love. We left our conversation with warm hearts, that are united in His love. The enemy was thwarted, yet again! Praise God!

The cry of my heart is to stop living my life from Jenni's view. It is limited and so puny. God has given me His heart for each situation I face, but it is my job to stop and receive it. I must seek it. I must ask for it. I must receive it. Truly like the Psalmist wrote:

Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me.

It is just as Joyce writes, " The bottom line is this--God's way works, man's ways don't. Love what God loves and hate what He hates. Allow what He allows and disallow what He disallows." God will create in us a clean heart as we do our part. What is our part? We must trade our ways of thinking, doing, speaking for His. It is called renewing our minds. Just think, I get to trade in my Jenni wisdom, which is characterized by condemnation, derision, sarcasm, scorn, unbelief and a critical spirit for His. Which is filled with Love, Hope, Faith, Joy, Patience, Gentleness and Self Control. What a Trade! I take it!

Replies

• right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Satan detours our thinking by getting us to focus on judgmental attitudes. We do become critical when we allow our thoughts to be judgmental of others. Satan also will cause conflict so that our thinking is suspicious and results in isolation from others and eventually…God - His purpose in our personal journeys, promises and the Word.

So, my post is going to be very simple because this is a very, very complex subject. It takes the deep filling of the Holy Spirit in our minds to illuminate the righteousness of God directly to those areas where a person is judgmental, critical and suspicious minded- to be released and repented... so change will happen.

May I share my devotions and prayer with you Women of Excellence:

Phillippians 2:5-11

vs5: Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Father God,
    Help me today to not be judgmental of others. Help me tomorrow to not be critical of those I have been critical of today. Forgive me of borrowing suspicious mindedness, instead create in me a heart that is open to loving my neighbors (others), as your son Jesus instructs for us- to love each other as You have loved us. I love you Father God and thank you for our true example of unfailing love in Your Son Jesus. Amen. :heart:
  • Simple6
    Options
    Zoey,

You wrote, "Satan detours our thinking by getting us to focus on judgmental attitudes." Not only do I focus on it, I often feed it and nourish it in the name of righteousness. For, me I think judgmental is how I was born. It is my natural, unrenewed state. It grows each year, becoming a parasitic growth, that glorifies me and sucks the life of God out of me. That is unless I recognize it and bring it to God. Which happens every time I exchange my thoughts for His, through the renewing of my mind. So, I totally agree that my thinking can be detoured very easily by the enemy in this area. I love your scripture and is the perfect answer to this area in my life. What was the attitude Christ had? This is a very good thing to think on. So perfect for our study! I also love the fact that you emphasized that it takes the Holy Spirit to illuminate where a judgmental or critical attitude is active. I triple agree with this. :heart:
  • Simple6
    Options
    Matthew 7:1-2

1Do not judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves.

2 For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you.

Sowing attitude.....what a concept. The attitude I am having today, is that the attitude I would like to receive tomorrow? I must begin to see my attitude as a seed for a harvest. Remembering that seeds only bring forth after their kind. Do I want a harvest of disgruntled, complaining, judgment? If I plant that seed what other harvest can I expect? NONE! I am deciding today, that just as Jesus had an attitude of love and an obedient heart, that is what I am going to cultivate in the garden of my life. I am asking the Lord to show me my seed(my attitude) so I can determine my harvest. I will listen to what I am saying and how I am saying it. Being aware of what is coming out of my mouth as indicator of what I am treasuring. Also for the Lord to help me recognize when I have crossed the line between wisdom in to suspicion and being critical. I going to guard my heart against negative attitudes around me. Being very careful what I listen to and watch. Even more careful of what I say. I want His harvest for my life.
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    "Women of Excellence"..humm, I sit here, in this early morning hour, pondering this title. For me, it would have to be>>"Striving to be a Woman of Excellence, but surely never to attain it."

But, Zoey..you of beautiful mind and speech, are so generous!

I will be adding more..need to refine my thoughts. Much love to all,
    Snitch
  • right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: What freedom we have each day to present our lives as a living testimony of God's unfailing love. I dedicate this wonderful poem to each of you....Women of Excellence! :heart: :heart:

Becoming A Woman Of Excellence

A woman of excellence
    Is what I long to be
    Filled with your godly wisdom
    So it is part of me

A woman of integrity
    No matter what I face
    Standing up for righteousness
    And for your saving grace

A woman of destiny
    Living out your plan
    Knowing where you'd have me walk