Jazzerbody

Options
Hi--

I'm new here :) How long have you all been Jazzercising? What changes have you seen in your body? How often do you Jazzercise? How many of you are instructors? I love that this group is on here. Nice to meet you, all.

Replies

• MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been Jazzercising almost 2 years this time around. I average about 7 classes a week. I've lost over 50 pounds with Jazzercise as my only exercise besides walking. My knee pain is gone, I'm more flexible and definitely stronger than when I started :smile:
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    11 year student here. Welcome!
  • cserg
    cserg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've done Jazzercise 2 years 3x per week. I also do Elliptical on most days I do not Jazzercise.

I really enjoy Jazzercise but I would recommend that you use a heart rate monitor if you are going to log your calories from a class on MFP. I would say that 650-700 calories is not realistic. 300-500 woudl be a more accurate average and of couse this depends on your weight. You get out of a class what you put in. I see 300+ calorie differences from AM to PM classes based on my energy. The calories burned will also vary by instructor. Some teach really high energy and choose harder songs and some are lower key with easier sets. So it can be a challenge to track calories unless you use a HRM every time, in my opinion.

I have lost 25 lbs this time around. Just like any other exercise program, it only contibutes to 30% of your weight loss. Diet is #1! But it is so nice to do some thing FUN for exercise! Best of luck to you!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've always struggled with weighing more than I have liked. About 11 years ago, I found Jazzercise and got into the best shape of my life since high school! My wedding probably provided a little motivation for that as well:-)

I then became certified to teach it! Then 4 jazzer-babies later, I found it hard to get back to where I started. I realized that I was only working out the 2 TIMES A WEEK that I actually taught class and that obviously doesn't cut it.

September 2012, I stepped up my game and committed to taking care of myself by going 6 times/week. Four months later, I am over 20 lbs lighter!

I don't know what I would have done (or looked like) without it.
  • underwatermama
    underwatermama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started going to Jazzercise in 1985-ish. Not solid, but that's when I started and for awhile I had a gym membership via work, so I didn't go there, but I sure did miss it. Aerobics just isn't the same as a jazzercise class.

Body changes...well, exercise isn't an issue since I go to class quite often (got 150 class shirts the last two years), but it's my eating habits that are BAD! So I am working on that along with my classes. I try go to go 4-5 classes per week.

Question about heart rate monitors since I'm thinking that would help me know more about my body. What brand do you recommend? I did a quick search and I don't want to wear anything obtrusive. Suggestions?
  • catio23
    catio23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been going for a month :) I got a 20-class Groupon and fell in love! I just signed up for a year committment! I hate getting up at 5:30am to exercise, so if I'm going to do it, it better be fun! :) Good luck!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Polar Heart Rate Monitors. My old one started showing me too high, too low results and replacing the battery didn't help so I will be getting a new one this month! I have the F4 or FT7 in my head but I need to look that up again. It has the band around my chest but it doesn't bother me and I feel like they are more accurate than the ones that don't have the chest strap.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    8-year instructor....I was hooked from my first class! Three years of attending before I certified.

Biggest changes in my body...I used to HATE my ugly legs, now I rock leggings and mini skirts like it is my job! I have biggish thighs, but they are solid as rocks. Love my legs now! Also, lots of definition around my waistline (though after 2 babies and 2 C-sections my stomach is my biggest problem area) ...I can see the muscle lines down the sides by my obliques and right under my ribs....currently working on the "pooch" with a LCHF eating plan.

My shoulders, arms and back are quite defined now too. The more classes I attend, the better I look and feel!

Welcome....I have been an MFP absentee for a little over a month, but I am back in the saddle now....will be checking in much more often!!
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    Wow, nice to 'meet' you all :) I've been going to classes for almost a year now and average about 6 classes per week. I've actually just gotten started with the instructor certification program so cross your fingers (I'll be working hard, haha). I was doing another cardio program before and lost a lot of weight, but with Jazzercise I've been getting strong and defined. Any time I tell people I Jazzercise they inevitably say, "Oh, isn't that from like the eighties?" So it's nice to 'meet' other Jazzercisers outside of my own class.

I have loved the community I get in my Jazzercise classes and now here on MFP. I look forward to learning from you all.

Cheers
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise Instructor = the best job ever! Best of luck in your training! I have trained/mentored a few great instructors, so please feel free to ask me questions!
  • mollyo19
    mollyo19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, nice to 'meet' you all :) I've been going to classes for almost a year now and average about 6 classes per week. I've actually just gotten started with the instructor certification program so cross your fingers (I'll be working hard, haha). I was doing another cardio program before and lost a lot of weight, but with Jazzercise I've been getting strong and defined. Any time I tell people I Jazzercise they inevitably say, "Oh, isn't that from like the eighties?" So it's nice to 'meet' other Jazzercisers outside of my own class.

I have loved the community I get in my Jazzercise classes and now here on MFP. I look forward to learning from you all.

Cheers

How is your instructor certification going? I'm doing a workshop to get recertified Feb. 21-23. I'm so excited! I had my own center over 10 yrs ago, but with my kids getting older and having to have a "real" job, I gave it up. I can't wait to start again!
  • cserg
    cserg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't get the "oh that is old" thing either. When I post my Jazzercise workout I often get comments from MFP friends like "go Jazz hands" I'm always like- yeah enjoy that fun treadmill while I am rockin it with friends and good music!
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    Hi mollyo! I'm sending in all of my paperwork on monday so I can receive my materials for workshop. I was hoping to go to a Feb workshop too! But I missed the deadline so I'll be going in May. To be honest, I am grateful for the extra time to prepare.

That's exciting that you're getting your re-cert. Do you feel any anxiety about it at all or is it just another hoop to jump through to start teaching again?

cserg, I hear that. Esp when there are so many newer fitness programs around. I've done a lot of them but really I feel like Jazzercise has it all.
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    Oh, and I never properly responded to you thr33martins; Thank You! So much. Honestly. This is something that I never dreamed that I would EVER do. Get in front of people?! Probably in spandex?! But I'm apprehensive and excited all at the same time. I'll let you know when my materials arrive :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a couple of years. I am much stronger now than before I started jazzercise and I feel sexier too.
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been Jazzercising off and on for the past 20 years, and I'm only 34! :) My mom has been going for longer, and I sat along side for years before I joined as a freshman in highschool. I have left and come back numerous times, the most recent being rejoining on 1/1/13. I aim for 4 classes a week, although sometimes I can only get in 2. Love love LOVE the way I feel and the way my mood is instantly lifted.
  • CamCanEat
    CamCanEat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My Mom used to jazzercise back in the 80s in stirrup spandex and no shoes on and I sat on the sidelines and watched as a child and sometimes I participated. About 10 years ago a friend mentioned that she was going so I decided to give it a try and I fell in love with it. It's the only workout that makes me happy. I sadly haven't been since Nov. 2012 b/c I got pregnant with my second child and was on pelvic rest. He's now 2 months old and I'm starting to feel like maybe I am ready to go back. It's been way too long and I have so much baby weight to lose :(
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've done Jazzercise 2 years 3x per week. I also do Elliptical on most days I do not Jazzercise.

I really enjoy Jazzercise but I would recommend that you use a heart rate monitor if you are going to log your calories from a class on MFP. I would say that 650-700 calories is not realistic. 300-500 woudl be a more accurate average and of couse this depends on your weight. You get out of a class what you put in. I see 300+ calorie differences from AM to PM classes based on my energy. The calories burned will also vary by instructor. Some teach really high energy and choose harder songs and some are lower key with easier sets. So it can be a challenge to track calories unless you use a HRM every time, in my opinion.

I have lost 25 lbs this time around. Just like any other exercise program, it only contibutes to 30% of your weight loss. Diet is #1! But it is so nice to do some thing FUN for exercise! Best of luck to you!

I've been going for 3 years. This advice is the best I've seen. I have been one of the 'hard' instructors now for 2 years. I pick hard songs and I go after it and I'm not shy about encouraging others to go get some. However, what you burn is up to you so a heart rate monitor is smart. I dropped 50 lbs going to Jazzercise and eating right. I went 6-7 days a week and I worked out 4-5 days on an elliptical for 30 minutes over lunch. Maintenance is a lot easier than losing....losing weight is hard work. The plus side of Jazzercise is that it will help tone and strengthen your body which is so very very important. Diet is definitely #1 though but exercise is key to not gaining when you have some bad dietary days! Hope you are still at it. Feel free to friend request me.
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i have been Jazzercising off and on for 8 yrs. I go twice a week, sometimes 3. I still attend class with a couple of people who have been doing it for 18 and 25 years! My first instructor retired after 20 years after my first year, and I still see her in class at least one day a week. We are addicts!