Hello!

Options
seafed
seafed Posts: 9 Member
Hi everybody!
I had a baby 7 months ago and I was doing pretty good and lost 15 lbs or so by October. Then I just threw in the towel and started eating like crazy right through the holidays. Now I am back to where I started right after having him in June. I am determined to lose 40 -45 lbs this year to get to my goal of 135- 140 lbs. I am 42 yo so it isn't as easy to lose weight as it used to be. Other general introduction - I have been married 13 years and have 4 children (6, 4, 2, and 7 mo). I also work full time operating a business that I own with my husband. We live on the Outer Banks in NC. I'm hoping that we can support each other in our weight loss goals and also get to know each other. Please introduce yourselves if you are reading!
Cathy

Replies

• jbudd06
    Options
    I have battled weight my whole life...sort of. I thought I was "big" in high school. What I wouldn't give to be that "big" again. Anyway, I had a baby 4 years ago and only gained 14 lbs. when I was pregnant, after I had him, well that is when the 40 lbs crept up. I lost all of that last year and was pretty pleased with myself. I still had about 40 lbs. that I wanted to lose but, was ok with the progress I had made. I too let the holidays and my eating habits get back to "the old normal." I gained 9 lbs. back and need desperately to get control of my eating and grazing. This time it is all coming off. I refuse to be OK with just part way there.
  • cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm glad this group has started just today! I am turning 40 this month. I am a divorced, single mother of a 5 year old and a 6 year old. I'm 5'9" and weighed in Monday at 236. I want to lose down to where I'm not consider in the "obese" category. To look at me, I hide my weight very well. But when the clothes come off, well you know, if you are not happy with yourself, then others won't be either. Anyway, I want to do better. I play alot with my kids and they keep me young and I would love to be able to have more energy. I have not been out of a size 18 in so many years that I don't remember the last time I wasn't in one. Kind of makes me sick to my stomach but I am looking forward to the new me. I started last week and I have found that by making myself accountable each day on mfp, I am making better decisions. I know that when I start seeing results I will really pick up the pace. I am looking forward to our group. Thanks
  • seafed
    Options
    Hi guys

I hear you jbudd- I was the same way as far as always thinking I was big in high school and yet I'd be ecstatic if saw numbers even 15 pounds higher than what I was then. It sounds like you've done pretty well with weight loss already- losing 40 lbs is no easy feat! I'm sorry about the 9 lb gain- but you'll get back on track and that will be gone in no time. What approach did you take in losing the previous 40?

Hi CKsummer- I think the accountability helps a lot too. It really reminds me that every calorie counts when I am entering into the the calculator here too. My kids are motivation also as I get tired and winded too easily and I hope that will change when I am in better shape.

So my general plan is to lose about 1-2 lbs a week. I am counting my calories and trying to lower my sodium for my blood pressure. I'm hoping my cholesterol will go down also though I haven't done much research on that to see how. I ordered one of those fit bit things because I'm hoping it will be motivating to have it tracking my steps and what not though I don't get a lot of time to intentionally try to exercise between the kids and the business. It is feeling like a long road in front of me right now but I am so sick and tired of feeling like a blob.
  • jbudd06
    Options
    As for what I did to lose the 40...well the good news is we are in the right place. I just watched what I ate with the help of my fitness pal and I did (on occasion) do Kettle Bells. I bought the Jillian Michaels video and did it at home. I will not and have not ever stuck to a gym membership so at home was the way to go for me. I saw GREAT results with that workout (you only need the video $9 at Wal-mart and one kettle bell $11 at Wal-mart as well.) I can keep to a structured eating plan but just not to a workout routine. So that is my real goal is to incorporate a workout into my life at least 3 days a week. I need the accountability! I have never joined a group on here and am super excited to talk with you all and support each others progress!
  • cksummer2013
    Options
    I have a question. I am feeling alot of hunger or at least that is what it feels like but I've eaten already tonight. I dont know if this is normal or a medical issue? I should but be hungry...any thoughts?
  • Driab1981
    Options
    Hey, My wife is going to have my first born in July. It is getting me motivated to loose 70 pounds! I started today as well !!!!!! Nice to meet everyone. Lets do this shiz!

-Driab-
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a 23 year old working student, and I need to lose about 66 lbs to get to my suggested goal. Basically, I picked up some really bad binging habits at a young age, and the rest is history. ^^'
    Trying to get a little more control over my food choices, as well as work out more often.
    Good luck to everyone~
  • jbudd06
    Options
    Hey CKSummer, I think it is pretty normal to feel hunger at first, at least I always do. You have to retrain your body to know when to stop. It will take a while, but your body will learn to be satisfied with only what it needs! :wink:
  • cksummer2013
    Options
    Thanks jbudd. I sure hope so. I've had a gallbladder issue in the past and I'm just hoping it's not that again. On a different note, should we weigh in like once a week or what is the best way to do this? I was going to weigh myself each Friday morning. What are the groups' thoughts on this if you have any? I just need accountability to someone. LOL
  • seafed
    Options
    CK- I usually feel hungry until I can get my body somewhat adjusted to the new plan. Even right now I feel hungry even though I just ate a bagel sandwich that should hold me for a while. I plan to weigh myself every Fri morning too so that works for me! Maybe we should start a separate thread for those weigh ins- I agree the accountability is good.

Hi Prinny- Welcome!

Hi Driab- How exciting that your first baby is on the way!

AFM- I did pretty good yesterday and feel like I'm off to a good start. Still not sure when I will be able to add the time to exercise so right now I'm just trying to increase steps or walking up the stairs an extra time or 2- but mostly focusing on calorie control. Hope everyone is feeling good! We can do this!
  • Aet2013
    Options
    Hi every one! I'm a 23 years old in the navy so I live a pretty hectic lifestyle. Have always been a little thicker but gained about 15 lbs after they took my appendix out in August. The holidays weren't kind to getting that weight off either! I would like to lose about 40-50 pounds exactly and love to ready about other people's triumphs and struggles. It helps me stay on track and gives me motivation. Good luck to everyone!
  • mcefan
    mcefan Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi. I am 43 and also have been battling weight my whole life. I started this week and need to lose a minimum of 50 pounds. I would love to have people who will support and motivate me through this. It's so easy to put on the weight, but hard as heck to get it off. Good luck everyone!
  • tcrosley7
    Options
    Hey! I am 32 years old female and over 200 lbs. I am married to my high school sweetheart and a mother to a 4 year old son. I have always been somewhat THICK, but I have been considered obese ever since I had my son in 2009. I ballooned up from 180 lbs to well over 260 while pregnant. I am down to 221 and can't seem to break the cycle of 200. I have a plan to lose over 60 lbs this year and need some motivation and a support group! Let's do this!!
  • LuvingMumof2
    LuvingMumof2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello to you all!!!!! I just started my "newest" weight loss journey on Monday, I hope its not too late to join your group as I have approx 45 lbs to lose! I am a 28 year old mother of two (two boys age 6 & 3). I currently do not work as I had a back injury 4 years ago that has prevented me from returning to my job... My husband and I are in our 12th year together and have been married for 6 years. I too have struggled with my weight over the past 12 years or so (when I quit smoking) I feel like since then I have a void that I think can be filled with food, even though I know it cannot be.... In August of 2009 I gave birth to my youngest son, after which, I weighed 210 lbs (I am 5'4"). So I began to really watch what I was eating. In January of 2010 I was down to 180lbs, I realized that my eating habits were under control so I introduced the gym. In August of 2010 - a year after my journey began - I was down to 140 lbs (70 lbs lost).... Since then I have slacked on the gym, slacked on my eating habits and gained around 35 lbs back. Now I am back on track and looking forward to feeling healthy again! I hope I am able to motivate you as well as be inspired by you all... Best of Luck!!! xo